Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MV6 Recaro Seats into CD - Side Air Bags!  (Read 956 times)

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
MV6 Recaro Seats into CD - Side Air Bags!
« on: 21 June 2008, 16:53:22 »

Managed to pick up a nice clean Black Cloth MV6 Recaro's and the rest of the interior, which is heading to replace the Black CD seats in my 2.5TD CD.

Couple of questions here before I start ripping things appart, My TD front seats (pre face) dont have Side Air Bags, where as the donor MV6 Seats (also pre face) do.

1. How easy (guessing not really) is it to accomadate the Side Bags in the old CD, and what about the wiring / relays etc.

2. If the answer to above is a non starter, then I'm quiet happy to fit them non working, In which case which wires from the seat do I need to ignore?.

Rgards.
« Last Edit: 21 June 2008, 17:18:42 by zirk »

tmx

• Omega Baron
  • Herefordshire
    • 3.2 MV6 2002
    • View Profile
Re: MV6 Recaro Seats into CD - Side Air Bags!
« Reply #1 on: 21 June 2008, 17:08:51 »

think you may require a 4 chanel airbag control unit i think!

personally i wouldnt bother with them but they do make the car alot safer if you read the omegas NCAP report they offer more safety http://www.euroncap.com/tests/opel_vauxhall_omega_1998/53.aspx

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 June 2008, 18:49:40 »

Managed to pick up a nice clean Black Cloth MV6 Recaro's and the rest of the interior, which is heading to replace the Black CD seats in my 2.5TD CD.

Couple of questions here before I start ripping things appart, My TD front seats (pre face) dont have Side Air Bags, where as the donor MV6 Seats (also pre face) do.

1. How easy (guessing not really) is it to accomadate the Side Bags in the old CD, and what about the wiring / relays etc.

2. If the answer to above is a non starter, then I'm quiet happy to fit them non working, In which case which wires from the seat do I need to ignore?.

Rgards.
Right, you won't get side airbags working.

More importantly, not sure if you will be able to get the belt pretensioners to work, which could be a show stopper  :-/

(pretensioners changed from mechanical to pyrotechnic)
« Last Edit: 21 June 2008, 18:50:13 by TheBoy »
Grumpy old man

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 June 2008, 19:57:43 »

Rgards.
Right, you won't get side airbags working.

More importantly, not sure if you will be able to get the belt pretensioners to work, which could be a show stopper  :-/

(pretensioners changed from mechanical to pyrotechnic)

Hi TB, thanks, The first item I was pretty much expecting.

Not the second bit thou, Do the Pretensions from Mech. to Pyro. look the same, ie, to determine if there the same type?

If thier different, what if I ripp the old ones of the original seats?, probally another bucket of worms!

tanker12uk

• Saltburn by the Sea. Cleveland
    • Elite 3.2V6 2001
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 June 2008, 23:06:38 »

A quick word of warning if I may I have done a similar conversion in my case on a 96 n plate gls up to Elite spec the side air bags are a no starter which is not a problem and tracing which wire is which when the seat is out is easy but dont drop the seats or give them any hard knocks as you will need a change of underwear when the pyro seat tensioner goes off without any warning it seems to be very sensitive once it has been removed from the car and they are a pig to work with so if you are going to rip it of rip gentley  :-[
regards and good luck its a fun job
tanker

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 June 2008, 12:31:15 »

A quick word of warning if I may I have done a similar conversion in my case on a 96 n plate gls up to Elite spec the side air bags are a no starter which is not a problem and tracing which wire is which when the seat is out is easy but dont drop the seats or give them any hard knocks as you will need a change of underwear when the pyro seat tensioner goes off without any warning it seems to be very sensitive once it has been removed from the car and they are a pig to work with so if you are going to rip it of rip gentley  :-[
tanker

Thanks, sounds like fun, if Ive got to take spare underware with me. :y

mv6copcar

• Intermediate Member
  • Essex, Halstead
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 June 2008, 13:00:33 »

tanker

very sound advice - PLEASE be careful, i chucked my pre-tensioners into a skip and one went off, lots of dust, very strong smell of i assume gunpowder?, and the buckle flew about 15ft up in the air.
you really really wouldn't want to be holding one if it went off!!!! :o

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 June 2008, 13:07:18 »

tanker

very sound advice - PLEASE be careful, i chucked my pre-tensioners into a skip and one went off, lots of dust, very strong smell of i assume gunpowder?, and the buckle flew about 15ft up in the air.
you really really wouldn't want to be holding one if it went off!!!! :o

Thanks again now down to 2 pairs of pants when I do it.

I hope thats not the Gun Powder leftover residue marks on the Tarmac in your Picture! :y

mantahatch

« Reply #8 on: 22 June 2008, 13:13:58 »

Hi Zirk
Where you the lucky chap that got the whole interior off ebay for £40.00 ?
I was watching it and was about to bid but got distracted and missed the end of the auction.

Mike

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 June 2008, 13:25:44 »

Hi Zirk
Where you the lucky chap that got the whole interior off ebay for £40.00 ?
I was watching it and was about to bid but got distracted and missed the end of the auction.

Mike

Yes, same item, but I wasn't the winner, sort of Hi Jacked it at the last minute.

Sort of figured If the Guy was going to let it all go for that price, he must be desperate for the Cash, so made contact and waved the money at him over the phone with the promise of it being in his pocket in a couple of hours!. The rest is History.

Bit naughty really but it’s got to be done! they really are in First Class condition though.
« Last Edit: 22 June 2008, 13:27:57 by zirk »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 17 queries.