Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cambelt Tensioner Help Please  (Read 761 times)

carper

• Yorkshire - Hecky
    • View Profile
Cambelt Tensioner Help Please
« on: 23 June 2008, 12:15:07 »

O.k. guy's, I could do with some info here please. Before I start, this is on my 2.0L - 16v X20XEV engine. I've only this morning got round to changing the cam belt kit, removal of old and install of new went o.k.(I think).
I've got it back together, and set the tensioner, and everything is tightened up as it should be. Firstly, whilst turning the engine via the crankshaft pulley centre bolt, whilst there is compression, the timing belt is taught all round, but when I turn it and reach the point where it's pretty effortless to turn, there becomes a little slack in the belt, this is at the right hand side, the left side remains tight, but at the right hand side becomes slacker, to the extent that I could finger pull the belt off the right roller, but again, when there's compression, the belt tightens up all round again.

Also, whilst again, turning the engine via the crankshaft pulley, whilst it's turning, the pointer on the tensioner moves from left to right, is this normal ? or should it remain at the new belt mark where I first set it ?

Cheers Guy's  :y
« Last Edit: 23 June 2008, 14:42:59 by carper »

ians

• Omega Baron
  • Reading
    • View Profile
Re: Cambelt Tensioner Help Please
« Reply #1 on: 23 June 2008, 18:02:32 »

It is normal for the tension on the belt to vary (and the tensioner to move) as you rotate the engine.   I can't comment about how slack it appears to be.  Is everything timed up ok when you return it to TDC?

carper

• Yorkshire - Hecky
    • View Profile
Re: Cambelt Tensioner Help Please
« Reply #2 on: 23 June 2008, 18:24:38 »

It is normal for the tension on the belt to vary (and the tensioner to move) as you rotate the engine.   I can't comment about how slack it appears to be.  Is everything timed up ok when you return it to TDC?

Thanks for your reply ians  :y yes everything remains timed up upon turning the engine by hand, and all the timing marks return to the correct positions. I was'nt sure if the pointer is suppose to move whilst everything is rotating, it does move to the right, but then does return left to the (new) notch after a complete turn. The only thing that threw caution my way was, when the engine is running, the pointer on the tensioner is going to be moving to the right and returning left at a high speed, (much like a sewing machine so to speak).
Everything is back together and ready for starting up, obviously I have to be 110% sure everything is as it should be before starting her up again, I think I'll have my tea first.  ::)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.