Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: AC Modification - can we get lower vent temps?  (Read 1298 times)

wayneywoo

• Hemel Hempstead
    • View Profile
AC Modification - can we get lower vent temps?
« on: 24 June 2008, 09:05:53 »

Hi guys,

Came across this mod for the Granada Scorpio and wondered if something similar was possible for the Omega?

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/acmod.htm

Seems quite simple if the system works in much the same way?

Fool the system in to thinking the Evap temp is higher than it actually is?

Regards
Wayne
Hemel
« Last Edit: 24 June 2008, 09:06:54 by wayneywoo »

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: AC Modification - can we get lower vent temps?
« Reply #1 on: 24 June 2008, 09:20:02 »

mine gets cold enough as it is!

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #2 on: 24 June 2008, 10:02:52 »

Mine both well cold (icy) - and quickly.  Don't see this is necessary for Omegas - if a/c performance poor fix it first, don't try mods!
Good how to though!
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

lcdman

• Leeds, God's county
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 June 2008, 10:04:56 »

I'll second that.  When I had mine re-gassed recently the guy said that the big VX's (Senator, Carlton, Omega) have the most efficient A/C systems he works on.

We got down to 4.6 degrees C at the centre vent with an external ambient of 20.2 degrees - how much colder do you want it?

wayneywoo

• Hemel Hempstead
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 June 2008, 11:07:50 »

Summer 2003 we had temps over 40º.

Once your car has been standing in the sun for a while, especially with black leather, the interior soon heats up.

Wouldn't it be nice to get in and within a few minutes, the interior is icy cold.

Maybe I just need to top mine up.  It is a little low.  I got a free check at Halfrauds.

Anyone have any experience with the DIY refrigerant cans you can buy at Halfrauds?

Can you imagine having -º temps at the vents when it's sweltering outside?

Just a thought...

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 June 2008, 11:11:23 »

I wouldn't bother with the cans - nor with "top ups" and "checks" at Halfrauds. They don't have the equipment to properly service an air con system and can do more harm than good.

The only way to service an air conditioning system is to vacuum out the old refrigerant and oil, check for leaks and then inject the correct volume of refrigerant and oil. If you don't empty the system first you have no idea of what's in it and could over- or under-fill it.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

psychnurse

• Omega Baron
  • Leominster, Herefordshire
  • Whats in the fridge today? Beer and Sausages....UM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 June 2008, 11:19:34 »

Would love mine to work  :'( Must get round to sorting it soon... getting warm some days.. not that its a bad thing  :y

mantahatch

« Reply #7 on: 24 June 2008, 13:57:18 »

I think I would be very wary of any advice that suggests using "scotchloks" to connect wires that require you to take off so much stuff like the scuttle and the wiper motor.
My 96 Omega can cool it down in about 3 minutes, and then I am increasing the temparature. I would just get your own serviced properly.

Mike

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #8 on: 24 June 2008, 15:04:13 »

Summer 2003 we had temps over 40º.

Once your car has been standing in the sun for a while, especially with black leather, the interior soon heats up.

Wouldn't it be nice to get in and within a few minutes, the interior is icy cold.

Maybe I just need to top mine up.  It is a little low.  I got a free check at Halfrauds.

Anyone have any experience with the DIY refrigerant cans you can buy at Halfrauds?

Can you imagine having -º temps at the vents when it's sweltering outside?

Just a thought...

and you are going  to catch flu in a minute like me  ;D

Big_Roger

• Intermediate Member
  • Southampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 June 2008, 15:45:00 »

Hi,
Be very wary of the small "Top up" cans of refrigerant. Most of them also incorporate a leak sealer, which may sound OK, but can cause a lot of trouble and damage in the cooling system, especially if it does have a leak.

It isn't the over filling that is too likely, as most people don't start fiddling with the AC system unless there is a problem, usually low on gas, and it would take several cans to fill a system.

The biggest hazzard is the system getting low on oil. Any system will always lose some gas over time, but as it loses gas it also loses oil with the gas. If you just keep topping up, the system will run out of oil.

Also, if the system has completely run out of gas, then almost certainly there will be some moisture entered the system with air. If you then put gas in the system without evacuating it first, it may well appear to work, but the moisture and the oxygen will set to corroding the internal parts, or freeze and keep blocking it.

Just go to a well established Air con firm, get it done right. You know it makes sense.

Roger

Be patient ! Something else will go wrong for you to fix if you wait long enough !!

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24 June 2008, 16:01:31 »

Another aspect to this:

The omega does, IIRC, have an anti-icing probe by the evaporator but this certainly isn't the limiting factor in my air con. Admittedly it's not the coldest system in the world but if the anti-icing were the cause, the compressor would be cycling on and off whereas in my case it certainly runs 100% of the time. I.e. the evaporator is not getting cool enough in normal circumstances to trip the anti icing so fiddling with it will make no difference.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24 June 2008, 16:04:47 »

The evaporator should run around the 4degC mark as the expansion valve varies the flow (and hence expansion) to control this.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24 June 2008, 16:08:32 »

The evaporator should run around the 4degC mark as the expansion valve varies the flow (and hence expansion) to control this.

That explains it. :y

So, short of altering the charecteristics of the expansion valve nothing will change the air temperature post-evaporator.

Kevin

Jay w

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth/Poole
  • omega gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24 June 2008, 16:14:32 »

i have recently had mine vac'ed, the condensor vanes cleaned and the whole unit services.

Very quickly mine will be noce and cool, after a while my nose is too cold, that to me shows that it is working well  :y

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 24 June 2008, 16:15:17 »

That explains it. :y

So, short of altering the charecteristics of the expansion valve nothing will change the air temperature post-evaporator.

Kevin

Nope.

And the expansion valve is a self contained unit bolted to the end of the evaporator with the temp sensing capillary built into it  :y
« Last Edit: 24 June 2008, 16:49:46 by Mark »
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 22 queries.