Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: New exhaust advice V6 Elite 3.0i  (Read 2705 times)

feeutfo

Re: New exhaust advice V6 Elite 3.0i
« Reply #30 on: 02 July 2008, 20:37:43 »

seems a bit backward to me,although system as a whole its a massive improvement, i mean the idea of an early test is to find fault earlyer with the obvious intention of rectifying. There by correcting earlier. Now tho, if we believe the current change to be correct, there is no point testing early as you simply loose what ever portion of time off the end of your mot period. So your fault will go undetected for longer.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 02 July 2008, 21:14:02 »

From the MOTESTER site ...

http://www.motester.co.uk/mot-retest.html

NOTE: It should also be noted that should a vehicle be submitted for an MOT Test whilst still having an unexpired and valid MOT pass certificate, and fail the inspection, the original pass certificate remains legally valid until it expires. However, should any vehicle have developed faults which renders it un-roadworthy in legal terms, it would be unlawful to use it on the road irrespective of whether or not it has a current and valid MOT pass certificate.

HTH

feeutfo

« Reply #32 on: 02 July 2008, 21:44:08 »

ps how did the mot go re exhaust by the way. Today wasnt it?

yay, passed with flying colours  :y

however, as an advisory the exhaust is indeed nearing the end of its lifespan and will need replacing shortly. i need a new back box and ideally the twin pipes from backbox into cat area. this is all new territory for me so am open to all suggestions. its going to need sorting pretty soon so would appreciate the advice of those on here.

im looking for long life, open to the idea of a stainless one, that sounds and looks nice on the car.

thanks in advance for advice  :y

Wahay. Happy miging. Never did an exhaust myself. Just got a wack from behind by a mental blond 2 feet from my bumper for 5 miles then bang! Did me a favour, old system shot through. Her insurance got me complete oe system up to the cats i think. Oh thats not advice by they way. ;)

humbucker

• Omega Baron
  • Cambridgeshire
  • VX Trade Card, Halfords Trade Card. Neat.
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
    • View Profile
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
« Reply #33 on: 04 July 2008, 00:03:06 »

::)

can anyone advise re gm exhaust, need parts all the way up to  join where the pipes with cats start. wondered if anyone had an idea re costs and any general advice. ie 'avoid that' or 'go for that' etc etc ;-)

thanks to those who have pm'd me about stainless custom exhausts.

its a twin exhaust system, 3.0i elite im after. is it the case that the gm exhausts come with lifetime warranty? might be worth dusting off the trade card if thats the case...
http://www.irmscherMV6.com | #irmscherMV6
Genuine Tech1 and Tech2 diagnostic services for Vauxhalls and Saabs available in and around Cambs.
PM with your requests.

humbucker

• Omega Baron
  • Cambridgeshire
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
    • View Profile
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
« Reply #34 on: 04 July 2008, 14:08:44 »

this doesnt sound right but maybe i was just diluded...

called vx and asked how much genuine gm exhaust system will be: backbox and twin pipes from back box to the pipes that house the cats.

£451.35 without tradecard
£384.42 with tradecard

1 year warranty

if this is true its cheaper for me to get a custom stainless one made and fitted.

anyone verify if the quotes above sound accurate??
Genuine Tech1 and Tech2 diagnostic services for Vauxhalls and Saabs available in and around Cambs.
PM with your requests.

Derek_in_Penzance

• Penzance, Cornwall
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 04 July 2008, 18:19:39 »

Double check to be sure. I was convinced my exhaust was blowing on my old 2.5 , it was very chuffy and noisy. Turned out to be a split rubber pipe at the front of the engine, nothing to do with the exhaust, but it did sound exactly like an exhaust blow.

I've just had exactly the same thing!
Go to Facebook and become a Fan of the GM6 Spares Facebook page. Omegas dismantling, mail order parts & servicing. Tech 2 services available.

feeutfo

« Reply #36 on: 04 July 2008, 19:07:33 »

Yes  i had forgotten, if MOT passed presume exhaust is fine. So what is causing the blowing exhaust noise?

humbucker

• Omega Baron
  • Cambridgeshire
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
    • View Profile
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
« Reply #37 on: 05 July 2008, 12:28:14 »

exhaust mainfold gasket probably needs replacing, but the exhaust itself as mentioned above isnt going to hold out much longer. just wondered if the quote id been given was in keeping with what others had experienced from vx... thought it would be a lot lower than they had quoted me to be honest and if thats the case id rather go get a stainless one for less money!!!!

any aftermarket ones that are any good if i dont go down the stainless route?
PM with your requests.

nemo

• Tonbridge Kent
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 05 July 2008, 14:06:44 »

bought new exhaust from cats back a couple of weeks ago for my 1997 elite cost £290 on TC from main dealer.

nemo

• Tonbridge Kent
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 05 July 2008, 14:07:55 »

P.S. that includes the dreaded 17.5% ;)

humbucker

• Omega Baron
  • Cambridgeshire
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
    • View Profile
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
« Reply #40 on: 05 July 2008, 14:24:23 »

bought new exhaust from cats back a couple of weeks ago for my 1997 elite cost £290 on TC from main dealer.

did that include fitting? they must have got it wrong at the place i called, that price i mentioned before didnt include fitting!!  :o  i'll try em again on monday...
« Last Edit: 05 July 2008, 14:24:51 by ilovemyelite »
PM with your requests.

FRE07962128

« Reply #41 on: 05 July 2008, 14:41:10 »

seems a bit backward to me,although system as a whole its a massive improvement, i mean the idea of an early test is to find fault earlyer with the obvious intention of rectifying. There by correcting earlier. Now tho, if we believe the current change to be correct, there is no point testing early as you simply loose what ever portion of time off the end of your mot period. So your fault will go undetected for longer.

I am pleased to say that is not the case, providing you have your vehicle tested within one month of your current MOT expiring, as any time left on it (for up to the month) is added to the new MOT. Therefore this new MOT will cover you for the next 12 months, plus any 'unused' time left on the old MOT. :y :y :y

Also all of us should remember that a MOT only covers you for the condition of the vehicle found to be the case on the actual day of the test.  Any subsequent failure / wear of a part that takes place, even the day after the MOT, and causes the vehicle to be deemed  "unroadworthy", results in the use of the said vehicle to be in contrevention of the Road Traffic Act and you are then liable to prosecution.  Thus no matter how long the MOT or not, it is the actual roadworthiness of the vehicle that overrides it at any time. :y

« Last Edit: 05 July 2008, 14:41:52 by FRE07962128 »

nemo

• Tonbridge Kent
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 05 July 2008, 15:39:49 »

sorry but that price did not include fitting. :y

Tony H

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
  • Black Elites are luurvley
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 05 July 2008, 21:30:16 »

a note re mot's to "anyone" reading this. mot tests can be taken WELL before the expiry date of your current crtificate. thus giving time to rectify faults while the car is still legal to drive, as you will still have time left on your current cert. if it fails.
   Sorry, one of my pets that one.
Hope helps. :y

I was told that with the new system, that if you have an MOT test and your car still has weeks, even months on the current certificate, and it then subsequently fails, then your car has no valid MOT!

This is correct .. if a car fails an MOT it is considered unroadworthy, and the computer will know this.. it is also illegal to drive an unroadworthy vehicle, and as you have just been told it's unroadworthy  you can't really argue !!! Old system where it was just a bit of paper you could "lose" the fail certificate .. computer based system .. you can't . Your insurance is also invalid .. and the insurance company can get the MOT information quite easily ..

but can can still drive to and from the MOT test station or garage that is doing the remedial work???
You can drive the car to and from the MOT station or a place of repair providing you have A PRE BOOKED APPOINTMENT
Be aware of mole holes be very aware!

MutantCav

• Omega Baron
  • Gainsborough
  • Smoke me a kipper - I'll be back for Breakfast
    • View Profile
    • Free Giffgaff Sim With £5 Free Credit
« Reply #44 on: 05 July 2008, 21:34:50 »

Will get the part number for you tomorrow mate for the backbox as I have one sitting in the garage...if I can see under the estate easily will get the mid box part numbers for you too...can get you full genuine second hand one for £100 all genuine...
http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/tvpromo Get a free giffgaff sim running on O2 network
£5 free credit on first top-up
£5 gives you 60 mins, 300 texts & unltd calls and texts to anyone else on giffgaff
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 17 queries.