Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Droplinks and Steering idler  (Read 1542 times)

omegaV6CD

• Intermediate Member
  • Darlington
    • View Profile
Droplinks and Steering idler
« on: 02 November 2006, 10:30:48 »

I just received my steering idler and my droplinks. Looking at the steering idler i struggle to see what the failure mode is, is it perhaps that the rubber part softens? Anyway my main question is, How can i make sure i don't screw the relationship between steering wheel and wheel position? Is there any mathod?
Thanks in advance
Kostas

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Droplinks and Steering idler
« Reply #1 on: 02 November 2006, 12:48:41 »

Doing just idler shouldn't affect it, though I'd always recommend a geometry check after any steering/suspension work...
Grumpy old man

omegaV6CD

• Intermediate Member
  • Darlington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 November 2006, 14:16:51 »

Doing just idler shouldn't affect it, though I'd always recommend a geometry check after any steering/suspension work...

Well it can as there is no fixed position of the steering idler on the steering box, so it is pretty easy to mess it up, i'm thinking to use a colour pen to mark it before changeing. Geometry check is irrelevant as the only parameter that you can affect is the steering wheel centre.
Thanks for the reply anyway, other than you i didn't get much response on my thread.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 November 2006, 15:50:34 »

Well it can as there is no fixed position of the steering idler on the steering box, so it is pretty easy to mess it up, i'm thinking to use a colour pen to mark it before changeing. Geometry check is irrelevant as the only parameter that you can affect is the steering wheel centre.
Thanks for the reply anyway, other than you i didn't get much response on my thread.
The steering idler doesn't attach to steering box, its over other side.  The steering arm is the one that attaches to steering box, though I have never heard of anyone changing this. Is this the part you mean?
Grumpy old man

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 November 2006, 15:59:54 »

I thought the boy had covered it all.......the idler as said is not attached to the steering box, its on the passenger side.

Drop links will not affect the geometry (assuming they were ok and level when it was last set)

omegaV6CD

• Intermediate Member
  • Darlington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 November 2006, 18:25:10 »

I thought the boy had covered it all.......the idler as said is not attached to the steering box, its on the passenger side.

Drop links will not affect the geometry (assuming they were ok and level when it was last set)

Oups, language barrier kicks in, It seems that this is a gap on my terminology.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 November 2006, 18:29:24 »

No problem :)

Is it the steering idler (passenger side) you are doing?  If so, no need to worry about anything...
Grumpy old man

omegaV6CD

• Intermediate Member
  • Darlington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 November 2006, 20:27:57 »

No problem :)

Is it the steering idler (passenger side) you are doing?  If so, no need to worry about anything...

Yes! lol

omegaV6CD

• Intermediate Member
  • Darlington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 November 2006, 14:11:46 »

Job done, 45minutes for both droplings steering idlers and some rustproofing work. I would suggest to anyone willing to do this job to paint the new parts because they come as bare metal and they will rust very quickly. The tramlining is now gone and the steering feels much sharper.

EddieX

• Halstead Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 November 2006, 21:10:21 »

Job done, 45minutes for both droplings steering idlers and some rustproofing work. I would suggest to anyone willing to do this job to paint the new parts because they come as bare metal and they will rust very quickly. The tramlining is now gone and the steering feels much sharper.

That last bit about tramlining. Did it lurch sideways out of tramlines and sort of bump steer over uneven country roads? Thats what mine does and I've been wondering why.
Eddie.
"Onwards and Downwards"

omegaV6CD

• Intermediate Member
  • Darlington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 November 2006, 23:19:42 »

That last bit about tramlining. Did it lurch sideways out of tramlines and sort of bump steer over uneven country roads? Thats what mine does and I've been wondering why.
Eddie.

Yes, this is exactly what it was doing.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 August 2008, 13:14:04 »

Old thread but - I am getting these very symptoms  ::)

Omegadoha, Desert Member

• Omega Knight
  • Doha, Qatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17 August 2008, 13:37:01 »

I found that getting rid of my directional tyres, (Dunlop) and switching to Continentals radials has solved my tramlining problem. I experienced exaclty the same on my Ford Scorpio a couple of years ago. (There I switched from Ventus directionals to Pirelli 6000's). It also straightend out the steering.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 17 August 2008, 13:40:51 »

I agree there are differences between tyres, but - at the moment mine is like driving a boat - it's worse than the V8 Disco ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.