Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Heat reflective windscreen.  (Read 1238 times)

feeutfo

Heat reflective windscreen.
« on: 28 August 2008, 00:14:46 »

my windscreen is a right mess, previous owner left the old wiper blades on far too long and its badly scratched the screen, so i want to replace it. I test drove an Elite with reflective screen and it seemed to evaporate the screen wash off almost instantly and generally seemed clearer. Can it be fitted to my 52 plate 3.2 elite? is it expensive and will my insurance pay towards some of the cost if its not as original, should it somehow get chipped? I presume it will have to be  genuine vx?
How does it work? Cheers.

stuart30

Re: Heat reflective windscreen.
« Reply #1 on: 28 August 2008, 02:00:47 »

my windscreen is a right mess, previous owner left the old wiper blades on far too long and its badly scratched the screen, so i want to replace it. I test drove an Elite with reflective screen and it seemed to evaporate the screen wash off almost instantly and generally seemed clearer. Can it be fitted to my 52 plate 3.2 elite? is it expensive and will my insurance pay towards some of the cost if its not as original, should it somehow get chipped? I presume it will have to be  genuine vx?
How does it work? Cheers.

I think im right in saying they will only replace like for like....might be worth having a chat with someone like auto glass im sure they would know.

feeutfo

« Reply #2 on: 28 August 2008, 22:17:15 »

Thanks Stuart, i think you may be right. Anyone know low much they are? Is it worth bothering with?

Alex W

• Intermediate Member
  • Northants
    • 2000W Facelift 2.5V6 Elit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 August 2008, 22:21:19 »

If the windscreen has been damaged by a gradually operating cause such as faulty wiper blades it is not covered by insurance. Insurance is for accidental damage, vandalism etc.

feeutfo

« Reply #4 on: 28 August 2008, 22:33:12 »

If the windscreen has been damaged by a gradually operating cause such as faulty wiper blades it is not covered by insurance. Insurance is for accidental damage, vandalism etc.

Yep, and with state of the black top on the m4 on my commute at the moment i dont think it will be along. But the insurance is a side issue tbh. Anybody got one? Are they heated or is it a coating ? Ta.

iggy21uk

• Omega Knight
  • Berkhamsted - Herts
  • Omega Spotter -  tats gone tanning
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 August 2008, 23:40:37 »

With those screens may get problems with sat nav signal, unless
they are better now? Assuming you use one mounted on the screen?
[size=10]Opelscanner Can owner / Cam lock kit owner [/size] [/i][/b]

Ironingboard

• Intermediate Member
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 August 2008, 00:57:57 »

Yip I've tried to get quotes for both types for my elite, the laminate in the corners of my windscreen have white water marks which expanded in the winter and have now cracked the corners of the screen.

Anyway the standard tinted one on my car is £280 (best price) and the heat reflective was £399  :o both auto windscreens and autoglass said to go through insurance because of the price. Also need to order new seals, etc. Since the insurance would be picking up the price anyway so why take a chance with the old ones.

Spoke to a guy in autoglass and he says he would change it to the heat reflective one if I wanted to...... Seen a very late Omega with one, but never had the bottle to ask the guy if it was better than a standard screen, but I've heard that they reduce the inside temperature quite a bit.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 August 2008, 09:08:00 »

The problem with the heat reflective screens is they have a metallic layer which stops RF signals passing through.

If you have factory fit sat nav it will be fine as it uses the base of the antenna on the roof, also if you have a phone kit installed and linked to the roof mounted antenna you will also be fine, however, if you have a phone kit fitted and the installer has used a glass mounted (various types - bar, tax disk holder) antenna on the front screen it will struggle to work along with portable Sat Navs that are shoved on the front screen without an external antenna.

One other point is that I remember is that the last Vectra B's with heat reflective screens had a different solar sensor for the climate control to the normal one on the dashboard - I'm guessing that something would have to be tweaked with Tech II on the Omega.
« Last Edit: 29 August 2008, 09:09:51 by VXL_V6 »

feeutfo

« Reply #8 on: 29 August 2008, 15:19:31 »

would this affect the rain swnsor as well? car has sat nav built in but i also have tom tom on a phone with a seperatre gps module,so it may affect that, although this does not have to go on the dash.

Banjax

• Omega Lord
  • Perth
  • We're just a virus with shoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 August 2008, 16:12:48 »

recently had cause to use RAC windscreen services - and they asked me if I wanted the heat reflective screen without any prompting from me - I said yes - but it turned out the chip was repairable so I'll wait till its cracked.....now where'd I put that axe...............

but yeah - go through your insurance - you'll only pay £50-£60 for a replacement - so long as it needs replaced :y :y
50 bucks!?! For 50 bucks I'd put my face in their soup and blow!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 17 queries.