Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Heating problems  (Read 928 times)

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
Heating problems
« on: 16 September 2008, 09:06:15 »

Car has just passed its MOT and now I cannot get heat from the vents which ever way i twist the dial, only to the windscreen.

Am I right to think the likely culprit is vacuum pipes behind the centre console may have come loose / disconnected.

Does anyone have any Ideas and if it is what i'm thinking is there a guide for the centre console removal.

Cheers

Roy :y

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: Heating problems
« Reply #1 on: 16 September 2008, 09:09:26 »

Sounds vac related, also check the vac pipes in the engine bay first as these are easier to see and get at.

Humpy

• Intermediate Member
  • Tunbridge Wells, Kent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 September 2008, 11:15:13 »

Roy,

This is an ongoing problem with my car :( I've checked most things but still haven't sussed it. If you take the heater controls apart and look at the rubber vacuum hoses on the back of the rotary switch there are various different colours and I think Yellow is the vacuum feed from the engine bay. I pulled this off and don't get any vacuum from this so my problem is in the engine bay somewhere. Apparently there's a vacuum reserve box somewhere near the pollen filter? So I need to take a look at that some time...

Like Mark says, check all of your vacuum pipes and conectors to see if anythings obvious. Let me know how you get on as it might aid me to find the problem with mine. I don't fancy another winter with cold feet :'(

Humpy

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 September 2008, 14:56:32 »

Thankyou for your input guys its much apprectiated :y

I shall have a look under the bonnet before I leave work at 5 later today.

Both Ideas are food for thought. :)

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 September 2008, 19:47:33 »

Well I had a poke about tonight to find a vacuum pipe had melted down near the rear breather pipe so can only assume had made contact with the exhaust downpipe.

The vac pipe runs from the driverside from a 2 in one pipe with two vac pipes running from it, then runs across and in through the bulkhead near the pollen filter, fingers crossed this doesn't go through behind the centre console.

Does anyone know the path of this pipe?

How expensive are the pipes from VX and will this cause any change in the running of the car as so far all I can see its caused the heater direction of flow dial to not work.
« Last Edit: 16 September 2008, 19:48:11 by nixoro »

Dazzler

• Omega Baron
  • Haverhill, Suffolk
  • Drive it like you stole it......
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 September 2008, 19:50:30 »

You can get standard vac pipe from most good car spares shops, you can also get a straight joining piece, so you can cut and join to the original pipe ;)
Big jobbies now finished.....Now running on LPG

Abiton

« Reply #6 on: 16 September 2008, 20:00:37 »

While sorting out my heater matrix recently, I found that the yellow 'master' vac pipe has a join, just on the inside of the bulkhead where the matrix pipes come through.  

In Humpy's case, this may be where the problem lies?

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 September 2008, 20:01:42 »

You can get standard vac pipe from most good car spares shops, you can also get a straight joining piece, so you can cut and join to the original pipe ;)

Cheers for the response I shall see what I can do :y

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 September 2008, 00:07:52 »

Roy,

Apparently there's a vacuum reserve box somewhere near the pollen filter? So I need to take a look at that some time...

Humpy

In response to this there is a box behind the pollen filter and the vacuum pipe which was damaged ran to this from the pipe with two vacuum pipe connections on it.

I had a stroke of luck called in at my local scrappy on the way home and found a similar vac pipe off an old astra all the omega ones had been cut or removed.

The piece I had, had a bend one end and the other was a jointer so I cut the damaged piece running to the vacuum reserve and joined the good pipe, started the car and now the dial in the middle works. I do plan to buy the correct part soon but the main thing is its working now :y

Humpy I suggest taking a look for piece of mind. :)
« Last Edit: 18 September 2008, 00:09:25 by nixoro »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 21 queries.