Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Lower wishbones?  (Read 4851 times)

VX1

• Omega Baron
  • Reading, Berkshire
    • View Profile
Lower wishbones?
« on: 16 September 2008, 18:37:57 »

I have red the how to on replacing the lower wishbones and drop links, but there is no mention on how long it should take for each side. It takes me approx 5 hours. Is this the norm or should it be less?

TIA  :y

Paul  :y
Vx Trade club card holder
Halfords trade card holder

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: Lower wishbones?
« Reply #1 on: 16 September 2008, 18:39:03 »

I have red the how to on replacing the lower wishbones and drop links, but there is no mention on how long it should take for each side. It takes me approx 5 hours. Is this the norm or should it be less?

You get a technique pretty quickly with this job, I reacon on 1.5-2 hours a pair.

VX1

• Omega Baron
  • Reading, Berkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 September 2008, 18:45:07 »

You get a technique pretty quickly with this job, I reacon on 1.5-2 hours a pair.

For both sides or each side? I tend to get frustrated on re-fitting and linning up the rear bolt.

Bandit127

« Reply #3 on: 16 September 2008, 18:48:41 »

In fairness, we had all the tools out and jack/stands ready but my mate and I did the 2nd one in 45 minutes.

The first one took 3 hours...

The difference was down to learning that releasing the balljoint first releases the load on the wishbone. You can then keep it all lined up to remove the main bolts and pull it straight out. Reverse the process for refitting.

This approach needed a spare jack under the hub and a big lever  :)

VX1

• Omega Baron
  • Reading, Berkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 September 2008, 18:52:49 »

So 5 hours is realistic for time for stubborn bolts etc? I have done these many a time but alway's come across with siezed bolts on all the ones I have done. Plus-gaz wil be used first on ALL the bolts first though.

Bandit127

« Reply #5 on: 16 September 2008, 18:57:48 »

Yes, I was lucky I didn't have any seized bolts. Just one seized nut - the one keeping my ears apart...

I liberally greased the bolts and kingpin on reassembly too.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 September 2008, 19:11:01 »

..... and kingpin  ......

Errr!  :-?  :-?  :-? which Kingpin would that be?  ;)

feeutfo

« Reply #7 on: 16 September 2008, 19:11:45 »

my right arm must be considerably bigger than the left then, as left pass side took a lot longer. It has leveling sensors but apart that i guess the more you do the easier it gets. I guess 5 hrs would be about right.

I found the trick was getting the rear bush in without the spacer twisting in the holes and jamming. Lineing it up right so the bolt just drops in makes such a differance.

Car pulls alot less but still does a bit. Wim on thurs all being well.

feeutfo

« Reply #8 on: 16 September 2008, 19:23:23 »

..... and kingpin  ......

Errr!  :-?  :-?  :-? which Kingpin would that be?  ;)
King pin is the ball joint on the end that attaches to the hub. 3 points of contact, 2 bush bolts and the king pin. Is that that you meant Andy?

alexandjen

• Omega Knight
  • Sittingbourne, Kent
  • The Silver Surfer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 September 2008, 19:25:35 »

my right arm must be considerably bigger than the left then, as left pass side took a lot longer. It has leveling sensors but apart that i guess the more you do the easier it gets. I guess 5 hrs would be about right.

I found the trick was getting the rear bush in without the spacer twisting in the holes and jamming. Lineing it up right so the bolt just drops in makes such a differance.

Spacer??  :-/ :-?
Trade club card holder
Code scanner available

feeutfo

« Reply #10 on: 16 September 2008, 19:37:44 »

Spacer??  :-/ :-?
Yes, sorry, poor choice of words. The metal tube, or spacer as i called it, running through the rubber of the bush that the bolt goes through. Because its difficult(or it is when i do it) to get the wish bone in at the right angle, i often find that the metal centre of the bush twists into the bolt holes as the wish bone is under tension from the anti roll bar, as its in the way a bit.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 16 September 2008, 19:42:10 »

.....King pin is the ball joint on the end that attaches to the hub. 3 points of contact, 2 bush bolts and the king pin. Is that that you meant Andy?

A ball joint is a  ..... ball joint. ;) A kingpin is from a suspension setup that you'd get off a Scimitar or many other 1950/1960 cars that require greasing or oiling via a nipple every hundred yards.

best I could find

HerefordElite

• Omega Knight
  • Hereford
  • Welcome to the Shire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 16 September 2008, 19:49:36 »

.....King pin is the ball joint on the end that attaches to the hub. 3 points of contact, 2 bush bolts and the king pin. Is that that you meant Andy?

A ball joint is a  ..... ball joint. ;) A kingpin is from a suspension setup that you'd get off a Scimitar or many other 1950/1960 cars that require greasing or oiling via a nipple every hundred yards.

best I could find

same difference - kingpin was a pin in ye olden days but still refered to as KPI 'King Pin Inclination' in suspension design - basicaly the hub carrier / upright is the Kingpin :y
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingpin_(automotive_part)

Nova SR, MKII Cav Sri130, MKII Astra GTE16v, Omega 3.0V6 Elite, Silver Cross Sleepover Classic

HerefordElite

• Omega Knight
  • Hereford
  • Welcome to the Shire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 16 September 2008, 19:53:17 »

took me a day  to do both sides :-[

really struggled to get bottom ball joint separated on O/S :(

N/S not to bad - tricky to get back together used spring compressors to pull strut up and big screwdriver from below to align rear bush :y
Nova SR, MKII Cav Sri130, MKII Astra GTE16v, Omega 3.0V6 Elite, Silver Cross Sleepover Classic

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 16 September 2008, 20:04:54 »

same difference - kingpin was a pin in ye olden days but still refered to as KPI 'King Pin Inclination' in suspension design - basicaly the hub carrier / upright is the Kingpin :y
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingpin_(automotive_part)

They're completely differnt from each other. Kingpin angle is still refered to but no cars now use a kingpin.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.016 seconds with 17 queries.