Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: stuff my luck with autos.  (Read 7130 times)

unlucky alf

• Omega Baron
  • worksop, notts
  • this is some MOT advisory list!.
    • View Profile
Re: stuff my luck with autos.
« Reply #90 on: 18 September 2008, 20:02:34 »

here is the latest, i got the torque converter off in the end with a crowbar & lump hammer :y, found the reason it was stuck was due to the pump [i think] all busted & the bits that flew about mashed up the tail end of the t/c somehow, ive now emery papered the burrs on the t/c & managed to get it free of nasty gouges, it fits on the new box a treat :) the bit of bellhousing that broke off is now epoxy putty but its better than nothing, so its refit time tomorrow & fingers crossed my luck could be changing ;), mind you i went to MEGAVOX today, megaprice more like it, £385 for a box with t/c [wouldnt do me a t/c on its own] mind you there was a miggy in the carpark, but at those prices i would have thought he would have a new ferrari :o, oh well they got nowt from me thats the main thing :y, oh & by the way is there a reason why the pump gear shattered or is it just one  of those things. :o

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 18 September 2008, 20:13:51 »

I'd be careful that the torque converter isn't full of crud from when the gearbox disintegrated. It could contaminate the new box. At least wash it out with plenty of paraffin before refitting. Also make sure it is held  firmly by the bush in the gearbox and that the nose of the TC is not scored otherwise it will take out the bush and/or front seal.

Good luck with the reassembly. :y

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

unlucky alf

• Omega Baron
  • worksop, notts
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 18 September 2008, 20:32:11 »

cheers KEVIN, the t/c shaft i done with coarse emery then polished off with fine so its as smooth as a babies bum, i did also give the t/c a quick rinse out with engine cleaner just in case the emery dust got passed the tissue i blocked it up with, but thanks anyway as thats the sort of thing that gets overlooked, its just i dont want to go through this again so ive double checked everything, the only thing that might let me down is my back cos its aching at the mo, i need a nice relaxing massage [preferably from some nice young oriental girls with nimble fingers :D]

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 18 September 2008, 20:53:38 »

Question, do you bolt the torque converter to the flex plate and then offer the gearbox up or did you fit the torque converter to the gearbox (fully), offer the gearbox up and then bolt the converter to the flex plate.

unlucky alf

• Omega Baron
  • worksop, notts
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 18 September 2008, 21:03:46 »

hi DTM, i put the t/c into the gearbox, bolt up bellhousing then put the 3 t/c bolts in, i trust thats correct as ive always done it that way, something about getting b/housing square with the engine block first.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 18 September 2008, 21:17:11 »

hi DTM, i put the t/c into the gearbox, bolt up bellhousing then put the 3 t/c bolts in, i trust thats correct as ive always done it that way, something about getting b/housing square with the engine block first.

Excellent

Was the torque converter fully home as per the following:

Where distance 2 is 31mm?

unlucky alf

• Omega Baron
  • worksop, notts
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 18 September 2008, 22:47:44 »

hi DTM, the first time i did the box the t/c did move out whilst sliding it under the car, i offered it up & found it wouldnt go [didnt force it] so i dropped it back down & tried pushing it back in, it was a little tight so i gently tapped it with a nylon hammer & it went in with very little effort, as for the measurements you quote, i cant see what choice you have as its going to sit where it wants to sit unless this is to determine if something is bent/distorted, dont forget mine is a diesel in case there is a difference in the measurements, i also know that the spigot/pin is tight on the ring gear as i had a job getting it off the first time due to rust, so it was cleaned & a dab of silicone grease & it was fine, anyhow i will check the 31mm measurement [even though i dont do metric ;)] & what do i do if it isnt 31mm :question, over to you ;)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 19 September 2008, 08:30:00 »

hi DTM, the first time i did the box the t/c did move out whilst sliding it under the car, i offered it up & found it wouldnt go [didnt force it] so i dropped it back down & tried pushing it back in, it was a little tight so i gently tapped it with a nylon hammer & it went in with very little effort, as for the measurements you quote, i cant see what choice you have as its going to sit where it wants to sit unless this is to determine if something is bent/distorted, dont forget mine is a diesel in case there is a difference in the measurements, i also know that the spigot/pin is tight on the ring gear as i had a job getting it off the first time due to rust, so it was cleaned & a dab of silicone grease & it was fine, anyhow i will check the 31mm measurement [even though i dont do metric ;)] & what do i do if it isnt 31mm :question, over to you ;)

Lol, I dont do imperial but then we did go metric in the seventies and I am aware we still have a few imperial hangers on (plus the yanks)  :y

Yes, the measurement is pretty constant and is not engine dependent as the auto boxes and torque converters are the same dimensions across all engines (ignoring the 5L40E used on the EU 2.5CDTi)

Reality is if its not this then the torque converter is possibly not fully home and it might well apply some extra load to the box causing a failure (hence the question).

I have seen one where the torque converter was bolted to the flex plate as a short cut, when the box was then fitted it crushed the torque converter (some what more extreme).

To be honest, just trying to work out how the oil pump would fail in such a catastrophic manner.  :y

Ow yes, if you can, it would be worth blowing out the oil cooler pipes to the rad.....
« Last Edit: 19 September 2008, 08:32:31 by Mark »

unlucky alf

• Omega Baron
  • worksop, notts
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 19 September 2008, 19:56:56 »

hi DTM,its me the imperial old fart ;D, the metric system is just another import from the bleedin europeans, so what you use is yet another thing thats part of the EU takeover bid, [its being done gradually as so not to raise suspicion :(], anyhow back to the situation in hand, i would also like to know what caused this pump to fail but i can only put it down to "one of those things", my late father was a motor mechanic & he taught me how to work on cars in all aspects so im not one for cutting corners or bodging otherwise i would be less surprised myself, im just wondering if the g/box could have got damaged or stressed during removal [not having a go MC ;)], as you know its always the policy to remove an auto box with the t/c as there is no undue strain put on the t/c or box, anyhow im pleased to anounce that IM BACK ON THE ROAD ;D,next job is fitting my chip to get some more gee-gees out of the old bessy, oh just one other thing, the box came with the cross member but its got another big lump of rectangular rubber which sits directly underneath the prop doughnut but dont seem to do anything, any idea what it is?, anyhow its getting late for this old fart so i will put on my tartan slippers with the pom-poms on the front & drink my cocoa :D,,,,many thanks all & please dont run a "tim g/box sweepstake" as to how long this one lasts ;D

MutantCav

• Omega Baron
  • Gainsborough
  • Smoke me a kipper - I'll be back for Breakfast
    • View Profile
    • Free Giffgaff Sim With £5 Free Credit
« Reply #99 on: 19 September 2008, 20:03:58 »

I always take the engine and gearbox out together...

Then drop (not literally) the box off then remove the Torque converter...easier to turn the torque converter round to get the 6 bolts into position to remove them...

Is there and easy way to rotate the gearbox/torque converter with the box still in place when its all out and sat on the driveway?
http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/tvpromo Get a free giffgaff sim running on O2 network
£5 free credit on first top-up
£5 gives you 60 mins, 300 texts & unltd calls and texts to anyone else on giffgaff

unlucky alf

• Omega Baron
  • worksop, notts
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: 19 September 2008, 20:19:40 »

whoa whoa MC, i wasnt having a go honestly, i know you are careful but that g/box may have been off or something before you got it & if they had tried to cut corners it could have weakened it, then it getting taken out & me fitting it might have upset it a little more, how many times do you hear of getting stuff off of a good breakers only to find there is something wrong with it when fitted, ive had it happen once or twice, so the result is "its just one of those things", & dont forget my luck aint exactly brilliant is it :D, & i still think your`e wonderful :y

MutantCav

• Omega Baron
  • Gainsborough
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 19 September 2008, 21:14:48 »

Wasnt taking it as having a go at all dont worry mate, just glad you have the car running again...hopefully more than a week this time lol

Although dont you have to take the box off again to replace the damaged torque converter and bell housing??? lol
http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/tvpromo Get a free giffgaff sim running on O2 network
£5 gives you 60 mins, 300 texts & unltd calls and texts to anyone else on giffgaff

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: 19 September 2008, 21:23:45 »

Lol, I dont do imperial but then we did go metric in the seventies and I am aware we still have a few imperial hangers on (plus the yanks)  :y

In this metric world we live in ....
What do you weigh? .........
How tall are you? .........
What's your fuel consumption? .........
What's the speed limit on our roads? .........
What measure do you buy your ale in? .........
What size DIA rims are on your car? .........
 :y  :y  :y  :y  :y  :y  :y

MutantCav

• Omega Baron
  • Gainsborough
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 19 September 2008, 21:26:48 »

How big is your c*ck lol

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 19 September 2008, 21:30:14 »

How big is your c*ck lol

There's always someone to lower the tone!!  ;D  ;D  :y  :y
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 17 queries.