Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fault code 87  (Read 1114 times)

JasonH

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • View Profile
Fault code 87
« on: 08 October 2008, 12:34:05 »

Could do with some help on this one.

The EM light is constantly on. The fault code is 87 "A/C Cutoff Relay Voltage Low".

Now I was in behind the glovebox at the weekend sorting out the towing bulb sensor. But I was careful not to disturb anything in that area and indeed I've had it all apart again and everything is fine and connected.

Fuse 28a in the under bonnet fuse box had blown. I replaced it and it hasn't blown again.

Fault still shows.

Anyone seen this before?

Tafty

• Liverpool
  • This week I am no longer the owner of a miggy!! :(
    • View Profile
Re: Fault code 87
« Reply #1 on: 08 October 2008, 12:42:03 »

Is the eml light still on? Or just the code stored? If it's just the code, am sure it will disappear in a couple of starts.

JasonH

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 October 2008, 13:17:42 »

EM light is on solid.

JasonH

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 October 2008, 15:47:27 »

Does anyone know which relay is the "A/C Cutoff Relay" there are lots of relays associated with the aircon and I can't figure out which one this is.

Fuse 28a in the diagram is fuse F40 which controls one of the fan motors on the radiator. So this may or may not be related....

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 October 2008, 15:58:10 »

Does anyone know which relay is the "A/C Cutoff Relay" there are lots of relays associated with the aircon and I can't figure out which one this is.

Fuse 28a in the diagram is fuse F40 which controls one of the fan motors on the radiator. So this may or may not be related....

I believe it's the relay that directly controls the compressor clutch. The rest of the cooling system relays are driven from the compressor clutch signal out of this relay IIRC. Signal passes from climate through the engine ECU to the relay. K60 rings a bell. Have a look Here: http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1176560725

There may be pressure and temperature switches that break this circuit if the system is low on refrigerant or overheating so it's not necessarily the relay at fault.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

JasonH

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 October 2008, 17:01:49 »

Thanks, will check out K60.

JasonH

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 October 2008, 21:59:13 »

Thanks again Kev making some progress on this:

The blown 30A fuse, F40 shown as 28a in fuse box diagram was probably a red herring. Looks like one of my radiator fans has packed in. Probably some time ago - just didn't notice - great!

Relay K60 indeed has low volts, as indicated by code 87. In fact no volts but it's fed off Fuse 15 which powers a lot of other things:

Glove box lamp
Cruise
Radio
Instrument lights
Headlamp range
Reversing lamps
Elec windows

They're all OK so from wiring diagram in Haynes (for pre-facelift) seems that connection X5 (single black wire to black wire) must have come adrift. Must be behind glovebox although couldn’t see it when I checked.

Anyone know exactly where?

JasonH

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 October 2008, 11:44:30 »

To close this off nicely.....

Turned out to be Fuse 29 (on my 2.5V6 facelift). The Haynes manual wasn't correct for my car; the fusebox labelling was misleading and the info in the Technical Info section of this forum wasn't quite right either!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.012 seconds with 18 queries.