Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leak at Oil Level Sensor?  (Read 620 times)

retrojim

• Bedfordshire
    • View Profile
Leak at Oil Level Sensor?
« on: 19 October 2008, 21:23:59 »

I've traced an oil leak to where the wires for the oil level sensor? enter the sump - this is at the bottom right of the engine (looking from the front). Looking at the haynes manual it implies that you have to drop the bottom of the sump (2 piece sump) to change the seal.

Does anyone have more knowledge or experience of this?

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
Re: Leak at Oil Level Sensor?
« Reply #1 on: 20 October 2008, 16:06:48 »

The oil level sensor is indeed internal and lies at the bottom of the pan on the inside. But are you sure this is where the leak is? Can you post some pictures? A more likely culprit is Oil Pressure Switch which is the bottom on the LEFT side on the engine (when viewed from the front), the wind can sometimes drag the spilled oil sideways or to the back.
Alas, no more Omegas....

retrojim

• Bedfordshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 October 2008, 19:10:35 »

Thanks for the response.

I'm very positive that it must be where the wires for a sensor (oil level?) enter the sump on the right side of the engine. The connector sits vertically and the part of the sump where it enters is horizontal, just above where the bottom part of the sump bolts up. Its in front of the exhaust down pipes.

Its a very large leak - I wiped clean the area using white spirit and within 3 hours (without starting the engine once) oil could be seen coming from just below the aforementioned connector, and not down the side of the block. I guess that particular seal is below the sump oil level hence the leak whilst the engine is cold and static.

As I mentioned my sump is the 2 piece sump - do I need to drop the bottom part in order to change the seal, or it can be removed without dropping the bottom part. Are their any pitfalls for the unwary?

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 October 2008, 20:34:02 »

Sorry, I just realised yours is a 4-cylinder, I was referring to the V6... so sorry but can't help. Surely someone else will be along soon with some advice...
Alas, no more Omegas....
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 22 queries.