Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wheel wobble  (Read 566 times)

VX1

• Omega Baron
  • Reading, Berkshire
    • View Profile
Wheel wobble
« on: 22 November 2008, 09:18:27 »

Ok guys, I get wheel wobble at about 65 mph right through to 90 mph then even's off.
I have replaced both lower arms, drop links, both disc's and two new front tyres, both wheel s have been balanced twice and checked. When I replaced the discs it got better but still there but not as bad as before. Now when I had the wheels re-checked they also done a disc run-out and the results from this were the nearside was out but may need replacement and the offside was also out but needs replacement soon. Now my question is this...........

When I brake I still feel slight wheel wobble coming through the steering wheel, but with the testing on the front discs and them saying the wheel hubs will need replacing soon which do you guys think would be the first thing that springs to mind?
Discs or hubs? if its both that need replacing then I will replace them but if its just one of them then thats even better otherwise this will then become costly.

TIA

Paul  :y
Vx Trade club card holder
Halfords trade card holder

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
Re: Wheel wobble
« Reply #1 on: 22 November 2008, 10:10:20 »

Wheel bearings are relatively easy to check.

Jack up the car so the wheel/tyre is free of the ground.  Check for free play by holding tyre at 3/9 position and rock gently.  Repeat holding at 6/12 position and compare one movement amount with the other.  Have an assistant depress the footbrake and whilst depressed, retest at the 3/9 and 6/12.  If movement is significantly reduced, then its the bearing.  If its the same, loom elsewhere.

Disc runout, I think, is only checkable by use of a dial test indicator.  Someone else may well advise what the maximum is.....   :y

VX1

• Omega Baron
  • Reading, Berkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 November 2008, 10:19:03 »

Thanks Marky, they did use the dial thingy and said there was some drift away, but the discs are only 4 weeks old and new as I got them from work so will be able to replace them under warranty if nesc. The hubs are a bit rusty on the outside where the disc sits, which I did clean up when I fitted the new discs. So the first thing really to check is the bearings for play? I will check this over the weekend and report back.

Paul  :y
Vx Trade club card holder
Halfords trade card holder

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #3 on: 22 November 2008, 16:09:10 »

If the discs are aftermarket and not genuine Vx i would replace them.
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 21 queries.