Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Changing engine coolent  (Read 581 times)

Miggy24

• Exeter,Devon
    • View Profile
Changing engine coolent
« on: 14 December 2008, 10:42:55 »

Hi all iv been reading up on putting new engine coolent in.When it comes to flushing it all out out it says that i have to fill it up run the car then empty it out about 2-3 times.could i just put a hose pipe in the coolent bottle and leave it running till it all comes out as clear water.Also if theres anyother tips on it would be greatful :yalso would i have to bleed it or is it self bleeding  :y
« Last Edit: 14 December 2008, 10:48:25 by devonboy2008 »

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
Re: Changing engine coolent
« Reply #1 on: 14 December 2008, 10:50:53 »

System is meant to be drained via the red drain plug on the lower nearside (passenger) of the radiator.  It only unscrews partway, does not remove completely.  Draining can also be done by removing the bottom hose - much quicker!

Only about half the coolant drains by this method, the remainder still in the engine block, heater matrix etc, hence recommendation to refill with fresh water and drain a few times to dilute the mix to (virtually) plain water.

Yes, you can speed up the process by having a hosepipe feeding clean water into the header tank at the rate it drains from the rad drain tap.  Done that a couple of times myself....

When wanting to put in the antifreeze, drain the water out the rad, refill with neat antifreeze quantity, then top up with water.  Start the engine, expansion cap off, and 'burp' air out the large upper radiator hose as the engine warms.  Make sure the heater control in the car is on maximum hot.  Top up water level as required.  Replace expansion cap, let it cool overnight, and recheck the level in the morning.  Again, top up as required.  

:y

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 December 2008, 10:59:38 »

Yes, you can speed up the process by having a hosepipe feeding clean water into the header tank at the rate it drains from the rad drain tap.  Done that a couple of times myself....

With engine running ....  :y

sneakypenguin

• Intermediate Member
  • Birmingham
  • Xbox gamertag MagicGinjaninja
    • 07 Volvo V70 T5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 December 2008, 12:35:22 »

sorry to hijack the thread, mine looks very manky so bought 10L of the red stuff from a main stealer. Is the mix ratio 50/50? so 1 5L and top up with water? many thanks
07 Volvo V70 T5 SE ex police

ngrainqey

• Omega Baron
  • rotherham
    • BMW E92, 2.6 CD F/L Est.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 December 2008, 12:39:55 »

sorry to hijack the thread, mine looks very manky so bought 10L of the red stuff from a main stealer. Is the mix ratio 50/50? so 1 5L and top up with water? many thanks

yes it's 50/50 :y
V8!!!!

sneakypenguin

• Intermediate Member
  • Birmingham
  • Xbox gamertag MagicGinjaninja
    • 07 Volvo V70 T5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 December 2008, 12:45:32 »

brilliant cheers, I'll get cracking with that, just letting it cool down a bit
07 Volvo V70 T5 SE ex police

ians

• Omega Baron
  • Reading
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 December 2008, 12:47:06 »

With engine running ....  :y

I wouldn't be happy with that.  There may be parts of the block that drain and don't get the flow through and therefore risk overheating.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 December 2008, 12:54:00 »

I wouldn't be happy with that.  There may be parts of the block that drain and don't get the flow through and therefore risk overheating.

How? You can fill your header tank a lot faster than the drain tap can empty the block/rad. It works!  :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.