Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Cheap Tyres  (Read 2251 times)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: Cheap Tyres
« Reply #15 on: 20 April 2009, 13:48:04 »

IIRC ChrisGixer's tyres, which I've just tried for a couple of weeks, were Falken 912s (Can you confirm, chris?)

Having swapped back to my SP SportMax yesterday it's apparent that the 912s were MUCH quieter than the SportMax but the level of grip was lower. They are also prone to wander a little (this is why Chris was unhappy with them). There's a bit more feel to the steering with the SportMax. It went a little light with the 912s IMHO. Might have been down to pressure which I didn't really play with that much.

Now, having noticed the noise difference (and the price hike to which all tyres seem to have succombed) I'm wondering what to replace my fronts with. They need replacing now really. :-/

How did the 912s compare with the 452s on the Omega, bigdods? (Noise and perfromance-wise?)

Kevin

Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

mathewst

• Omega Knight
  • Split, Croatia
    • v40
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 20 April 2009, 14:01:09 »

When I bought the Mig i also had to change the tyres and got a headache immediately  :(
Luckily got in touch with a friend of mine and got two new Hankoock tyres for little under 200 pounds ( 225, 55 R16) and am pretty satisfied with them for now.

bigdods

• Intermediate Member
  • Brackley
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 20 April 2009, 15:56:04 »

How did the 912s compare with the 452s on the Omega, bigdods? (Noise and perfromance-wise?)

Kevin

Noise I havent really noticed any difference between them. Quiet or..well quiet really  :)

Performance, well as I use the miggy for commuting on motorways and not much else not any noticeable difference between them when mile munching.

When pressing on the 912s are a touch more bouncy (not sure what the right word is here so bouncy will have to do !) over bumps and undulations. Dry grip is good but they do break away earlier than the 452s however they are predictable and you can feel the slide coming well before it becomes a problem and breaks away. IMHO its better to have lower grip and predictable breakaway than high grip and snap oversteer so overall I am happy with them bu the 452's were better, same predictabilty but higher grip levels. In the wet they are not as good as the 452s and do give a bit of a slippery feel but its deceptive, there is still plenty of grip it just doesnt feel like there is so the confidence to press on is lower.

Would buy them again ? yes, for my application (motorway cruising) they are a good tyre. Quiet and good levels of grip where I need it (mostly in a straight line).

If I was more inclined to press on then I would probably go with the 452 or perhaps be tempted by the SP9000 as it sounds like they match the characteristics of the car.

Regarding the slight wandering, my miggy has always wandered around. Its had Kumho, Michelin and Falken tyres on, been the same on them all. One day I will get to the bottom of it......
« Last Edit: 20 April 2009, 16:01:45 by bigdods »

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 20 April 2009, 17:09:12 »

Thanks for the info. From what you say, it sounds like the 452s would be a pretty good match for my SportMaxs without the additional noise so I'm tempted.

I found just occasionally the 912s would get quite badly deflected by something about the road surface, but not consistently enough to put a finger on (couldn't provoke them to be any worse than normal on cats' eyes / ruts in the lorry lane of the M3, etc.).

Kevin

Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Miggy24

• Exeter,Devon
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 20 April 2009, 19:29:20 »

on a tight buget u can always get part worn tyres for about £30 each
« Last Edit: 20 April 2009, 19:30:20 by devonboy2008 »

bigdods

• Intermediate Member
  • Brackley
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 20 April 2009, 20:37:18 »

Thanks for the info. From what you say, it sounds like the 452s would be a pretty good match for my SportMaxs without the additional noise so I'm tempted.

I found just occasionally the 912s would get quite badly deflected by something about the road surface, but not consistently enough to put a finger on (couldn't provoke them to be any worse than normal on cats' eyes / ruts in the lorry lane of the M3, etc.).

Kevin

The only time I've noticed deflection is when my geometry was out, then I did get some fairly bad tram lining . Once the geo was sorted no more problem.

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #21 on: 20 April 2009, 20:45:31 »

Kumho Ecsta KU31 have really good test results and fairly cheap..

CoolHand

• Stansted
  • Feels like a brand new car baby!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 20 April 2009, 22:03:59 »

Hi MG.

I agree with TheBoy, try www.mytyres.co.uk they were amazingly cheap and shipped mine from Germany within 2 days. I got 2 Pneumant Sport 235/45/17 for £106 and the tyres are great (so far)
Good luck  :y

DC

• Intermediate Member
  • Switzerland
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 21 April 2009, 22:42:21 »

Dunlops should suit Omega well. There is a Nokian tyre that has proved rather good in recent tests.
Otherwise Kumho Ecsta KU31 and Fulda Carat Excelero are still good tyres but cheaper than above

jemis

• Teesside
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 23 April 2009, 21:11:28 »

I have used these on 3 different cars including my old MV6 and wouldn't use anything else for everyday use.
There as good as most premium tyres for nearly half the price. I think I was the first to reccomend these last year after fitting them to my MV6 and the wife's c class.

alexandjen

• Omega Knight
  • Sittingbourne, Kent
  • The Silver Surfer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 23 April 2009, 21:17:05 »

In TVR circles the FK452 is very highly regarded, but remember we are talking about cars that weigh only 1000kg with a very high power to weight ratio but almost perfectly weight balanced between the 4 wheels. So tyre needs are a bit different and behave differently. For example the fronts only run at 22psi, rears at 24 so you do get more sidewall flex.

On my TVR they dont make the 452 in the size requird for the front so I run 452's rear and SP9000 front. The SP9000 is considered a bit of a dinosaur as its a very old design now , but its still a good tyre (or I wouldnt run them on the TVR), but certainly not as capable as a well scrubbed in 452 (in my opinion of course). Dont forget, Falken and Dunlop are the same company, just different brands so this means I am effectively running dunlops all round....

I've just worn out a set of 452's on the miggy and only went for the 912 as they are nearly as good but about £10 a tyre cheaper and right now pennies count !

ETA: I also run 452s on the rear of the Golf and they are fantatstic, corners like its on rails. Still have Bridgestone Turanzas on the front which are not as good and will also be replaced with 452's when they wear out.

Agree with this - I've just had 452's fitted all round at WIM and with the geometry set up have transformed the cars handling :y
Trade club card holder
Code scanner available

feeutfo

« Reply #26 on: 23 April 2009, 22:58:16 »

IIRC ChrisGixer's tyres, which I've just tried for a couple of weeks, were Falken 912s (Can you confirm, chris?)
Yep, def 912s, just pm'd you Kev, on your thoughts on re fitting your wheels and tires as it happens. Only just seen this.

Must say on the drive back to Reading it really was noticeable how quiet and smooth the ride was compared to the Dunlops...And for a day or so the wandering  seemed to have improved. However this seems to have reverted back to previous standards since re fitting on Sunday. Makes me wonder about my set up compared to Kevins, as he reported my tires felt pretty poor at first but seemed to settle, if memory serves.
Not sure how to take suspension into account with all this as his is mv6 and mine elite with sl? But having driven his car mv6 has far superior ride.

Also should mention mileage with this, as Kevin seemed very happy, as i would be, with how long the Dunlops last, cant remember how many miles they had done but seemed to be alot more than the 15k my Falkens seem on target for as they seem half way down the tread. Given the better grip and life of Dunlops(assuming i understand Kevin correctly) maybe the Falkens are not so cheap after all. So your paying for the ride comfort it seems to me?

Maybe you guys know your mileages re tire life as well?

feeutfo

« Reply #27 on: 23 April 2009, 23:08:48 »

I have used these on 3 different cars including my old MV6 and wouldn't use anything else for everyday use.
There as good as most premium tyres for nearly half the price. I think I was the first to reccomend these last year after fitting them to my MV6 and the wife's c class.

Mark dtm mentioned good results with a Kumho, cant remember the model number though.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.