Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: tuning a V6  (Read 10404 times)

The Barge Captain

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
  • Back in the land of the economicaly active
    • View Profile
Re: tuning a V6
« Reply #45 on: 30 October 2006, 11:48:21 »

The Omega is never going to be the fastest accelerating car in the world, its simply too heavy (1.7 tonnes) with small engine (3.0/3.2l).

Without a lot of bank breaking mods, achieving more than 250bhp is unlikely.  The power:weight is never going to be good without spending a fortune, so cheaper just to buy a fast car.
Got to agree with The Boy on this point. The Omega in any trim is not a lightweight pocket rocket.  Any car this size with a sensible engine (not some transplanted monster) is going to be  a tad slower than a modified Astra for example.
Thou art no more an angel filled with light, but a leech to be abhorred and thou shalt suffer my burning will...

zealious

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 01 November 2006, 04:37:49 »

I thought this thread is supposed to be about tuning the v6..

http://www.regal-shop.co.uk/asps/ShowDetails.asp?id=1885

I have no idea if this could work, but might be interesting to use the 3.0 throtle bodie and intake.
regal offers a 25% bigger throttle and flowed intake for 325. its supposed to add 15% torque. Im VERY intrested in this for my 3.0 since the larger throtle bodies might go perfect with a set of mild cams. Ad a chip, and the fact that im getting my fuel injectors cleaned, ngk platinum sparks (need to find new leads) and i think i should be doing quite well. there is a tune shop 50 bucks per dyno run.. i dont know if its worth it. but if i decide to get my exhaust manifold done out ill talk em into giving me a few free dyno runs....

these are my plans.
IF i could swapp my trany to a manual I would def go all out on this car. I LOVE THE WAY IT HANDLES. I just test drove an 07 impreza and VW GTI and i swear, my catera out handles them both. heck, it out handled the impreza by a long shot. I dont know why maybe its my driving style but i think the omega is very much worth tunning and we need to make a demand for the parts.
ITs sex factor alone is enough of a reason to tune them out.
 If one person got a custom exhaust manifold machined it would be expensive one time, then other people could order them cheap. Maybe look around see if a shop is willing to design one and then sell a lot.
« Last Edit: 01 November 2006, 04:43:39 by zealious »

omegaV6CD

• Intermediate Member
  • Darlington
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 01 November 2006, 09:22:37 »

Guys,
if anyone really wants to tune the omega i think these guys are the people to talk to. I believe that their packages are by far better than the Courtenay/Regal rubish.
http://www.imotecgmbh.com/PS-Bausatze/V6_3_0/v6_3_0.html
Get on that site it is easy to navigate even if you don't talk German.

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 01 November 2006, 09:49:48 »

Both of those cars are for chucking around, which is far from an American driving style.  They handle well but not great for what they are meant to do.

Making manifolds will be twice as expensive, since there are 2.  I haven't seen one in person, but they don't look that bad from the pictures.  They certainly won't be good a bang-for-buck mod.  The cheapest route would be handmade headers, but pretty tight in there.
Trains may have been invented here, but public transport is a foreign concept!

zealious

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 01 November 2006, 11:14:42 »

Both of those cars are for chucking around, which is far from an American driving style.  They handle well but not great for what they are meant to do.

The gti was heavier than the impreza. I dont know where the apeal is. I thought they were suposed to be fast. Could have fooled me. I dont know if they amercanized them or what. botom gears were def torquey, the gti didnt even want to lay out any rubber. but once you hit 3 the 6 speeds didnt seeme to matter since it semed like on the impreza there was no more to be had, gti def had a lot to say but not as much as i thought it would.

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 01 November 2006, 12:50:23 »

Both the GTI and WRX need to be chipped to really be any fun, exhaust helps too.  Then they are reasonably quick, enough to walk away and leave an Omega.  That said, I know what you mean.  Neither one has much appeal to me even modified.  Certainly not in FL where there are very few roads to enjoy them on.

omegaV6CD

• Intermediate Member
  • Darlington
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 01 November 2006, 13:46:56 »

Both the GTI and WRX need to be chipped to really be any fun, exhaust helps too.  Then they are reasonably quick, enough to walk away and leave an Omega.  That said, I know what you mean.  Neither one has much appeal to me even modified.  Certainly not in FL where there are very few roads to enjoy them on.

I would disagree with that, i have had an impreza chasing me he went half a car ahead untill about 100mph
then i pulled away but again mine is a manual.

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 01 November 2006, 14:35:46 »

I would disagree with that, i have had an impreza chasing me he went half a car ahead untill about 100mph
then i pulled away but again mine is a manual.
If it was a WRX, then it wasn't chipped.  Differences are also less apparent above 50-60mph, and I would expect an Omega to hold its own over 100.  I was more talking about back roads, but a chipped WRX or GTI can hold off an Omega light-to-light.  I have had a chipped WRX, and I have driven several chipped GTI 2.0T's and 1.8T's.  Without chips, they aren't fast at all.  The suspension on the 1.8T is useless, even modified.  The 2.0T is a much better car.  On the other hand the 1.8T GTI can be modified to over 400hp at the wheels with stock internals . . .
« Last Edit: 01 November 2006, 14:36:26 by theolodian »

stuvaux

• Stourbridge, West Midlands
    • 1999 Mig 2.5V6 CDX Estate
    • View Profile
    • Dog Training HQ
« Reply #53 on: 07 November 2006, 20:11:13 »

thanks a lot for all the advice!

so it seems the m-tek chip is well worth it then?

i'll look into the prices of some 3.0 cams as well

cheers,   stu 8-)
Take a look at my Dog Training blog at Dog Training HQ

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 07 November 2006, 20:18:06 »

As a guide, 3 litre cams are about a ton.

stuvaux

• View Profile
    • Dog Training HQ
« Reply #55 on: 07 November 2006, 21:08:38 »

cheers mark!

where is the best place to get the cams from?

iv only seen them on Courtney so far for £350

also, did i hear someone on here say that you had an m-tek chip fitted to your omega?

if yes (or no!), what do you think of them

cheers,   stu  8-)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 07 November 2006, 21:11:32 »

cheers mark!

where is the best place to get the cams from?

iv only seen them on Courtney so far for £350

also, did i hear someone on here say that you had an m-tek chip fitted to your omega?

if yes (or no!), what do you think of them

cheers,   stu  8-)
Get cams off anyone breaking a 3.0l Omega ;)
Grumpy old man

stuvaux

• View Profile
    • Dog Training HQ
« Reply #57 on: 07 November 2006, 21:16:47 »

cheers mate

what about the m-tek chip - do you think they are worthwhile?

stu

Old Sweat-RIPscoob

• West Sussex
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 07 November 2006, 21:20:29 »

Carrying on with the modding theme,
I read earlier about chips etc etc.
Now coming from a GEMS ecu on a scoob, mapped on the road, to take in all the mods on the car,
If you de cat your car, cone filter rather then the airbox, 3.0 cams, 99/100 ron petrol, how does this chip work?????

If the chip was made with a standard car in mind, then the parimeters for fuelling, air intake, are upgraded so it plugs onto your ecu board and off you go.........

However if you have de catted your car, 3.0 cams, and like me you have the choice of better fuel 99 tesco/100 shell, then how does this chip read the extra mods.....or doesn't it................or when people mention chip on this forum, is it a chip that can be played with on a rolling road with a mapper??????????

Sorry for all the questions, but if you don't ask, you'll never find out,

Kevin :y
I used to have a 400bhp Scoob................I know nothing about Omegas!!!!!!!!!!

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 07 November 2006, 21:26:26 »

Carrying on with the modding theme,
I read earlier about chips etc etc.
Now coming from a GEMS ecu on a scoob, mapped on the road, to take in all the mods on the car,
If you de cat your car, cone filter rather then the airbox, 3.0 cams, 99/100 ron petrol, how does this chip work?????

If the chip was made with a standard car in mind, then the parimeters for fuelling, air intake, are upgraded so it plugs onto your ecu board and off you go.........

However if you have de catted your car, 3.0 cams, and like me you have the choice of better fuel 99 tesco/100 shell, then how does this chip read the extra mods.....or doesn't it................or when people mention chip on this forum, is it a chip that can be played with on a rolling road with a mapper??????????

Sorry for all the questions, but if you don't ask, you'll never find out,

Kevin :y
Standard ECU's are pretty flexible in terms of mods, but that doesn't mean that they take full advantage.  I have only heard of 'normal' chips for the Omega, which I think require super premium.  They are 'off-the-shelf' install yourself jobbies.  I have not heard of chips for cams, etc.  You may be able to find someone who will custom map your Omega ECU, but rare as hen's teeth.  Not worth it anyway, you can't get very much compared to a turbo engine.
« Last Edit: 07 November 2006, 21:27:08 by theolodian »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 22 queries.