Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: coolant level message after radiator flush  (Read 3046 times)

shell

• Glasgow
    • View Profile
coolant level message after radiator flush
« on: 07 June 2009, 20:13:38 »

Hi all,Today i flushed my radiator through with holts speed flush.I washed it through several times afterwards .I now seem to be getting the "coolant level" message even though the tank looks properly filled.(Its just water at the moment.)I also noticed that there seems to be a hissing coming from the cap as if air is being forced out under pressure.

KillerWatt

Re: coolant level message after radiator flush
« Reply #1 on: 07 June 2009, 20:33:48 »

First off, ditch the water and get a proper 50/50 mix back in the system. Running pure water will do the engine no favours at all from a corrosion point of view.

The hissing is more than likely an air lock in the system, run it with the cap off while you are doing the refill procedure.

shell

• Glasgow
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 June 2009, 20:37:22 »

cheers mate,Ill do that first thing tommorow.i was holding off putting in the coolant till i find out if this will fix my over heating problem,but ill get that in there as soon as poss. Thanks again

VX1

• Omega Baron
  • Reading, Berkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 June 2009, 20:39:57 »

You might have a dodgey sensor for the coolant level. try giving it a clean and try again.

HTH
Paul :y
Vx Trade club card holder
Halfords trade card holder

shell

• Glasgow
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 June 2009, 20:44:08 »

im afraid i wouldnt know where to look for the sensor.
It only started giving the message after the flush today.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 June 2009, 20:52:21 »

im afraid i wouldnt know where to look for the sensor. .......

It's in the bottle/header tank! The float inside sticks! And don't worry about having just water in it for a day or two, but you do need proper anti-freeze in there sooner rather than later!  :y :y

shell

• Glasgow
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 June 2009, 20:57:32 »

Ahh i saw that thing!Ill try give a poke . thanks andy.Im really hoping that this will fix the overheating prob and if it does ill follow the excellent guide and put in antifreeze pronto thanks all

shell

• Glasgow
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 June 2009, 19:50:25 »

Well it seems as though the car is still overheating and even worse than before.I noticed that the water in the tank had expanded and there was a very noticable hissing coming from the cap.I think a very small amount of water had leaked from it under pressure.It was a really bad day cos it was hot and i got stuck in a long traffic jam.I pulled over to let the car cool down for 20 mins, and when i looked the water in the tank was almost boiling.
into the bargain some guy in a taxi reversed into my drivers front wheel arch and left a ding.Should have stayed in bed today.
It seems as though flushing hasnt helped the problem, does anyone think its worth trying that again? or do i need to think about thermostats os something else?
thanks 
shell x

Shane mvsex

• Intermediate Member
  • maidenhead
    • 3.0 pfl mv6 caravan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 June 2009, 20:04:06 »

mine was boiling yesterday when i drove her..

she was flushed thru new coolant and same mesg up on the screen? tonight when i checked it grr
migs and rc helicopters yeeeehaaaaaaa!
Www.omegaowners.com
Www.omegaownersnetwork.com

shell

• Glasgow
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08 June 2009, 20:13:14 »

Shane ,I did as Paul suggested and cleaned the sensor in the tank and the coolant message in now gone.

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
  • Jammie smells of Pooh....
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08 June 2009, 20:16:26 »

Hi Shell.
Can I ask before you had this problem with your car what temperature did your gauge sit at? also when say the gauge got up to 97 degrees would the fans kick in to bring down the gauge again to say 95 degrees? Just trying to see if your fans are working plus what temp your car usually runs at :y

When you had the water boiling where was the temparature gauge then? in the red? had the fans not kicked in?

If you are trying to clear the coolant system out there is some brilliant stuff you can buy off ebay called "Forte Coolant System Flush" it is around £10 but worth every penny. After that spend a few days dropping the clear water (dont put anti freeze in yet) then refilling so you eventually dilute the Coolant Flush out, when you are happy that the water is coming out clean drop the water again Then pour 5litres of red anti freeze in, topping up with clean water so the reservoir is at its level. Start the car leaving the reservoir cap off (with your heaters on hot) until the thermostat opens then top up with clean water. By doing this you should get the air out of the system :)
« Last Edit: 08 June 2009, 20:18:34 by Loo-knee »
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

shell

• Glasgow
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 08 June 2009, 20:25:55 »

thanks for your reply loo-knee!Well the fans do cut in at just above 95..and the boinling water was at just that moment  the fan cut in today..ive never let it go to 100 even -I always blow the heater at highest and that seems to slow down the temp increase.Even with the fan it seems to keep getting hotter.
This morning i did as you suggest and ran it with cap off and heater on full for about 15 mins, and because heater is on it doesnt start to get too hot.but 20 mins in the heat and traffic today, and it was boiling even though the temp gauge read just above 95.
thanks mate
shell x

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 08 June 2009, 20:33:58 »

thanks for your reply loo-knee!Well the fans do cut in at just above 95..and the boinling water was at just that moment  the fan cut in today..ive never let it go to 100 even -I always blow the heater at highest and that seems to slow down the temp increase.Even with the fan it seems to keep getting hotter.
This morning i did as you suggest and ran it with cap off and heater on full for about 15 mins, and because heater is on it doesnt start to get too hot.but 20 mins in the heat and traffic today, and it was boiling even though the temp gauge read just above 95.
thanks mate
shell x

Right I am not saying that I am right, but there could be a chance if you are going by your temperature gauge that it needs a chat with a tech2. Hotel21 himself had a similar problem when his temperature gauge was reading higher (I think I am right) than the actual water temperature was. (hope I am making sense). There will be a Meet in Scotland near Edinburgh next week on Thursday and with a bit of luck Hotel21 will be there armed with his tech2 who for a very small fee am sure will be able to syncronise (I think its called) the gauge with the actual temperature. :y
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

shell

• Glasgow
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 08 June 2009, 20:45:16 »

Hey that sounds great. i can definetly get through to edinburgh and it would be great to meet some oofers.
Im really pretty woried about this problem and im sure the hissing coming from the cap is not right! It never used to do that and its happening constantly now! thanks for the tip, ill head over to the meets section and check that out!
I think ive been reading this forum too much and ive become a miggy hypercondriact!Before i knew of hgs and oil coolers and hbvs i never worried...
thanks shell x

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 08 June 2009, 20:53:46 »

Shell, (feel like I am talking to my sister she is a Shell too :D) have a look at this link mate :y

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1209123017
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.014 seconds with 18 queries.