Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: leather seat cover  (Read 591 times)

unlucky mark mv6

• Omega Knight
  • tipton,west mids
    • View Profile
leather seat cover
« on: 16 June 2009, 20:26:16 »

How difficult is it to remove the leather cover from the drivers seat,as the heat pad has failed,and was going to attempt to repair it. :-/
Machine polishing in west mids £40 also body repairs.pm me for more info.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: leather seat cover
« Reply #1 on: 16 June 2009, 21:15:05 »

How difficult is it to remove the leather cover from the drivers seat,as the heat pad has failed,and was going to attempt to repair it. :-/

I haven't removed the whole thing, but there is a guide to doing te job here ..... clicky
My repaired by removing a small (inch-ish long) section of the seat base heating element.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 June 2009, 21:57:14 »

I tried this once (on a car in a scrap yard, I might add - not on my own car!) And its a massive headache!

You CAN get the thing off, its a matter of plastic edging clips, as i recall, and careful / pragmatic prying, then you'll note that there are hooks integral to the seat cover, further inside, which attach to a wire frame, part of the main body of the seat. IF you can get these off, some special tool like an adapted flathead driver, say, may work. Then you can get to the heated pad. This is attached to the seat, too. I forget exactly how, hooks or clips.

But as for getting the seat cover back on, I think an unholsterers is your best bet. I'm not trying to put anyone off doing this, I just wouldnt recommend attacking your own seat. HOWEVER, you can always get a seat from a scrap yard (I bought a leather Saab seat once for a tenner!) and play merrily to your heart's content, and learn by your mistakes. I'd love for someone to do it, frankly, as its so-far flummoxed me!
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 June 2009, 22:16:01 »

I tried this once (on a car in a scrap yard, I might add - not on my own car!) And its a massive headache!

You CAN get the thing off, its a matter of plastic edging clips, as i recall, and careful / pragmatic prying, then you'll note that there are hooks integral to the seat cover, further inside, which attach to a wire frame, part of the main body of the seat. IF you can get these off, some special tool like an adapted flathead driver, say, may work. Then you can get to the heated pad. This is attached to the seat, too. I forget exactly how, hooks or clips.

But as for getting the seat cover back on, I think an unholsterers is your best bet. I'm not trying to put anyone off doing this, I just wouldnt recommend attacking your own seat.  ....... I'd love for someone to do it, frankly, as its so-far flummoxed me!

They're easy. Once you've removed the cover, you then know how it goes back on!

Pedro

« Reply #4 on: 17 June 2009, 11:01:42 »

Having worked as an interior trimmer, I can honestly say that Carlton/Senator/Omega seats are the worst I've ever done!
Where most seats have one bar for the hogrings, Recaro have two, thinner ones - which like to bend when removing the hogrings (using a large pair of sidecutters).
Having said all that, a later Omega might be different?

If you do remove the back cover, then when you come to refit, turn it inside out and roll it on (base should be easy though).
It's much, much easier if you do it on a bench - ideally covered with carpet or similar - than doing it on the floor, and is quite a physical effort.
Good luck!

Back on subject, it might not be the heating element, but a simple break in the sires between the seat back and base - quite a common problem on Vauxhalls.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 June 2009, 13:11:57 »

Back on subject, it might not be the heating element, but a simple break in the sires between the seat back and base - quite a common problem on Vauxhalls.

Both my Omega & Senator had a small section of burnt out element just after the where it met the incoming loom!  :y  :y  :y

And YES! they are a physical effort to even lift the bloody things! :-?

unlucky mark mv6

• Omega Knight
  • tipton,west mids
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 June 2009, 16:25:00 »

Having worked as an interior trimmer, I can honestly say that Carlton/Senator/Omega seats are the worst I've ever done!
Where most seats have one bar for the hogrings, Recaro have two, thinner ones - which like to bend when removing the hogrings (using a large pair of sidecutters).
Having said all that, a later Omega might be different?

If you do remove the back cover, then when you come to refit, turn it inside out and roll it on (base should be easy though).
It's much, much easier if you do it on a bench - ideally covered with carpet or similar - than doing it on the floor, and is quite a physical effort.
Good luck!

Is this any easier mate if it is the sires,and how do you go about it. :y
Machine polishing in west mids £40 also body repairs.pm me for more info.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 21 queries.