Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Steering pulls to right & steering wheel goes left  (Read 1445 times)

Malabo

• Sherburn in Elmet
    • View Profile
Steering pulls to right & steering wheel goes left
« on: 06 March 2009, 16:32:28 »

2.5TD.
Started a thread a couple of days ago - http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1236158124

Car been at local garage all week after 4 wheel alignment done to hopefully resolve tyre wear. They have given up after lots of investigation and reading various forums where threads say virtually everything has been replaced but not solved the issue. Has anyone got the answer to this problem? Braking, the car pulls violently to right and steerin gwas going to left.

I've seen that this seems quite a common fault from various sources on Web but no real conclusion or resolution of this issue.

It's totally unsafe to drive - help please.

Malcolm
« Last Edit: 06 March 2009, 16:41:40 by Malabo »

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
  • Teesside (the nice bit)
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
Re: Steering pulls to right & steering wheel goes left
« Reply #1 on: 06 March 2009, 16:48:37 »

Firstly, I'd be looking at the security of the steering system - if the idler arm's been replaced, is it nipped up? A good check for any bolts left loose or missing would be the first step.
 How about a trip to WheelsinMotion? I appreciate you might need to trailer it there, but it's worth the effort - regular 4-wheel alignment doesn't too much good on the Omega.
Servicing and repairs done in NE. Special rates for OOFers! PM me.

Chris_H

• Omega Knight
  • E London/Essex UK
    • Jag XF Portfolio S 3.0D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 March 2009, 17:55:33 »

Strange if the mechanic can't find the braking issue.

I would suggest having the NSF wheel off and examining the caliper possibly while a helper presses the brake pedal.  Sounds like a seized caliper or someone's got lube on the pads there.

Steering drifting to the left is another issue I suspect.
First Vauxhall - PABX Cresta; Previous, previous Vauxhall - 3.0 12v Senator CD; Previous Vauxhall Omega Elite 3.0V6 Saloon Auto

lpgelite

• Cumbria
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 March 2009, 21:49:42 »

Did the alignment check include camber? If the car's ventured off road it's not unheard of for the camber to slip its adjustment if the bolts weren't tight enough. If there's a significant difference between sides weird things can happen with steering. Aim for about -1 degree if adjustment needed.

Also, you may have "odd" wishbones - one GM and one pattern?

IME pattern items can be slightly different dimensions to GM.

These appear to be OE spec Vauxhall wishbones:

http://www.vauxhall-car-parts.co.uk/acatalog/VAUXHALL_OMEGA_DRIVERS_SIDE_FRONT_SUSPENSION_ARM.html

Have the rear brakes been looked at? Seized pads there can cause front brakes to become hyper sensitive. Not at all uncommon...

One other suggestion - count the number of exposed threads on the steering tie rods. If you find one side is screwed right in and the other side right out, you may well have found your problem. There shouldn't be more than one or two threads difference between sides.

I've gone for low cost / no cost items first.

Hope you manage to sort it cheaply...

VX1

• Omega Baron
  • Reading, Berkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 March 2009, 22:04:02 »

Did the alignment check include camber? If the car's ventured off road it's not unheard of for the camber to slip its adjustment if the bolts weren't tight enough. If there's a significant difference between sides weird things can happen with steering. Aim for about -1 degree if adjustment needed.

Also, you may have "odd" wishbones - one GM and one pattern?

IME pattern items can be slightly different dimensions to GM.

These appear to be OE spec Vauxhall wishbones:

http://www.vauxhall-car-parts.co.uk/acatalog/VAUXHALL_OMEGA_DRIVERS_SIDE_FRONT_SUSPENSION_ARM.html

Have the rear brakes been looked at? Seized pads there can cause front brakes to become hyper sensitive. Not at all uncommon...

One other suggestion - count the number of exposed threads on the steering tie rods. If you find one side is screwed right in and the other side right out, you may well have found your problem. There shouldn't be more than one or two threads difference between sides.

I've gone for low cost / no cost items first.

Hope you manage to sort it cheaply...

All pattern wishbones are to OE spec due to rigurous testing. I have used pattern lower arms for years and never had problems on any of the migs I have owned in the past. I would be more inclined to be looking further into the braking side of things like the calipers more than anything. One of the calipers may have seized thus cause the effects your having. As said take the road wheels off and have an assistant press the brake pedal and see if the caliper is moving as it should, if not then strip down and clean and regrease.

HTH

Paul :y
Vx Trade club card holder
Halfords trade card holder

Loch View

• Intermediate Member
  • Dumbarton, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 March 2009, 22:07:40 »

Agreed Paul but apparently he has 1 new and one 'old' wishbone and that can give some trouble.

I've also mentioned the brake calipers in his previous post  :y
[size=14]Deja Moo: The feeling you've heard this Bullsh1t before![/color][/b][/size]

VX1

• Omega Baron
  • Reading, Berkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 March 2009, 22:11:42 »

Lower arms should be replaced in pairs anyway due to rubbing out the tyres very very quickly, as I found out one day when I just replaced one on a mig I previously owned in the ned I replacced the other side plus two new tyres.

Malabo if only one wishbone has been replaced you will not avoid your tyres from scrubbing out. Replace the otherside ASAP this may stop your problem you have with the steering.

« Last Edit: 06 March 2009, 22:14:22 by vauxhallomega1 »

Malabo

• Sherburn in Elmet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 March 2009, 12:49:22 »

Thanks all for replies. really appreciate the knowledge / experience you guys have, but the horror stories around this issue sounds like I've really bought a 'Pig in a Poke'.

Other forums I've looked at have stories of arms being replaced along with calipers / hoses etc and still got the problem.

From these previous experiences I am reading and as it's an 'R reg', it really sounds like I could spend loads just to not improve things. 'Keep you posted.

Thanks Malcolm
« Last Edit: 09 March 2009, 12:49:43 by Malabo »

feeutfo

« Reply #8 on: 09 March 2009, 15:04:52 »

2.5TD.
Started a thread a couple of days ago - http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1236158124

Car been at local garage all week after 4 wheel alignment done to hopefully resolve tyre wear. They have given up after lots of investigation and reading various forums where threads say virtually everything has been replaced but not solved the issue. Has anyone got the answer to this problem? Braking, the car pulls violently to right and steerin gwas going to left.

I've seen that this seems quite a common fault from various sources on Web but no real conclusion or resolution of this issue.

It's totally unsafe to drive - help please.

Malcolm

A little clarification, the car pulls right and the stearing goes left? I presume this means you are stearing into the" pull" to the right to keep the car on your side of the road when your braking? You brake, the car pulls right, you stear left in an attempt to keep it straight?

ians

• Omega Baron
  • Reading
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 March 2009, 15:19:40 »

I read it that way but worth confirming, and that it is only under braking.  Does it run straight otherwise?

Maybe worth taking to an MOT centre for a brake test?

VX1

• Omega Baron
  • Reading, Berkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 March 2009, 15:43:29 »

A friend has the same problem with his mig. It passed the mot and the brake test was perfect. I would be inclined to think that the tyres are shot or something like that?

rastiman

• Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 March 2009, 12:19:44 »

Hi Malabo

Did you ever get to the bottom of this one? I've got exactly the same issue but the car pulls left and the steering wheel goes to the right under braking.

To clarify for other members, imagine driving down the road (at any speed) holding the wheel lightly and applying the brakes.

The car pulls left, but the steering wheel turns itself to the right (about 1/4 turn) and counters the pull to the left! The car stops in a straight line, but feels like it is crabbing.

In a straight line, the car turns in slightly to the left, but nothing out of the ordinary. There are no rattles or bumps, or overly soft spring action or lack of damping from the shocks.

I had to have 4 new tyres as the ones put on to pass the MOT by the previous owner were a pick'n'mix and part worn, and I know the tracking is "ok" as I've had it checked. This has improved things a little, but not much.

Im getting it checked out Monday by an engineer who knows Omega's very well to see if any bushes are worn / brakes sticking etc.

It will then be a trip to the "wizard of WIM" to get the camber / castor sorted as recommended by the kind folk on the forum :y

Replaced since March 09: Cam cover gaskets, plugs, leads, DIS, front suspension arms, multiram switch AND a partridge in a pear tree!!!

rastiman

• Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05 July 2009, 15:14:31 »

Just been to see Tony at Wheels in Motion - camber and castor now set correctly and what a difference it has made with a pair of decent new wishbones!

No more leaping around under braking, and it feels like a completely different car! It's my first Omega, and I am very impressed with the ride comfort and handling for a vehicle of it's age.

So a big thanks for all the advice, I can now start to enjoy my miggy!  ;D
Replaced since March 09: Cam cover gaskets, plugs, leads, DIS, front suspension arms, multiram switch AND a partridge in a pear tree!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.