Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thermostat  (Read 891 times)

Ziad

• Omega Knight
  • Bahrain
  • They say money talks,but all mine says is Goodbye!
    • View Profile
Thermostat
« on: 14 July 2009, 14:17:32 »

Hi guys and gals!

I'm still having some trouble with the car overheating sometimes in very heavy traffic. It goes all the way to the red mark (specially when using A/C)! anyone has any ideas on this?

I spoke to a guy and he said getting rid of the thermostat could solve this problem?

Before I attempt anything, could anyone tell me what removing the thermostat would involve and what the results would be?  :-/

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: Thermostat
« Reply #1 on: 14 July 2009, 14:20:48 »

Lol, another person who knows jack all about what he talks!

Removing the stat wont stop it over heating....as when the car is hot the stat is open anyway!

Assuming the water pump etc is ok, then the finger of blame has to start pointing at the rad......or a wrongly configured instrument panel (I have seen a few now!)

Ziad

• Omega Knight
  • Bahrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 July 2009, 14:31:53 »

What would then point out that I have a wrongly configured instrument panel DTM? I have very little expertise on Opel here in the middle east (except for the stealers who are as good as the stealers there in the UK!)

NiallyV6CDX

• Intermediate Member
  • County Down
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 July 2009, 15:35:45 »

Are the cooling fans coming on?
There is one main one for that radiator and a secondary one in front for the radiator, which should kick in about 97C to bring it back down.
There is also a 3rd radiator for A/C equipped cars which should come on when the A/C is being used.
Are these all working ok?

Ziad

• Omega Knight
  • Bahrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 July 2009, 15:42:19 »

Are the cooling fans coming on?
There is one main one for that radiator and a secondary one in front for the radiator, which should kick in about 97C to bring it back down.
There is also a 3rd radiator for A/C equipped cars which should come on when the A/C is being used.
Are these all working ok?

Yep, all the fans kick in as required. Still I get overheating problems with the temp going in the red region on the gauge. This of course bring the water/coolant to a boil and if I continue to drive with the needle in the red region for a few kilometers, I lose coolant from the radiator cap (which i think is normal because the system is over-pressurised at the point of time).
Any other ideas please?

Exec

• Poland, Radom
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 July 2009, 16:21:17 »

Any other ideas please?

i think you need a new radiator if the water pump is ok

check if the whole surface of the radiator gets hot when the thermostat lets the water to flow through the radiator... if the radiator is only partly hot, you need a new one

Phil.d

• lancashire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 July 2009, 17:42:45 »

Just reading this post and I can say for sure that a new thermo will not cure it as My car has the exact same symptoms. I'd had a new oil cooler  , thermostat and rad fan switch fitted but still the car overheats.Its going in for a cylinder test soon but I'll watch the replies on here as well and let people know the results. I think someone has mention cold spots in the rad and also brown gunge still blocking the passage ways in the block.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.