Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Agressive Traction Control?  (Read 2229 times)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: Agressive Traction Control?
« Reply #15 on: 12 July 2009, 18:10:45 »

--I could be wrong but I was under the impression that the TC actually applies the brakes to the relevant spinning wheel?

eddie

I believe that applies to mini-facelift onwards ie 4 channel system!  :y

i260

• Newport, South Wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 12 July 2009, 20:59:12 »

Not stalling - in fairness I sort of noticed this trait when my dad had it as well so that sort of rules out the tyre and shock theory as well.

Could be just a grabby system after being used to an ignition retard sytem on my last car.
Saab 9-5 Aero 260ps

JK

• EASINGTON LANE
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 13 July 2009, 20:05:12 »

Am i reading this correctly, will the traction control cut in even if it is turned off, or have i misunderstood some of the comments, as i thought off was off . :-/ :-/Very confused---JK
« Last Edit: 13 July 2009, 20:05:46 by johnkarl »
i'm not fat,i just have a slipped chest

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 13 July 2009, 20:16:47 »

TC off is truely off.

TC on:
Pre 1998 cars - cuts 2 cylinders, if that doesn't help, cuts more.

Post 1998 cars - if just one wheel is spinning, will apply brake to that wheel, if that doesn't cure, will start to cut power. If both wheels spinning, will start to cut power.

TC works best if man and machine work together - ie, if it starts to cut in, flooring it ain't gonna help at all, only make it worse - the system does whatever it can to stop wheelspin (ie maintain traction), and if you are trying to lay 200bhp on wheels already losing traction, its going to have to chop the power.

I don't have any trouble with the TC on the Omega - in fact its one of the best RWD TC only systems I've driven
Grumpy old man

JK

• EASINGTON LANE
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 13 July 2009, 20:29:05 »

Thanks for clearing that up --JK
i'm not fat,i just have a slipped chest

kcl

• Omega Knight
  • Finland
    • Volvo V60 D4 -14
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 14 July 2009, 06:50:15 »

I had similar feelings about the TC, it was too agressive and the car was almost difficult to drive in the winter with the TC on. I had the ECU program updated and there was a really significant change in how the TC acts. Now it seems to be more "tolerable", does what it's supposed to but does not cut out the power too much. You should try to update your software also.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 14 July 2009, 07:44:42 »

I had similar feelings about the TC, it was too agressive and the car was almost difficult to drive in the winter with the TC on. I had the ECU program updated and there was a really significant change in how the TC acts. Now it seems to be more "tolerable", does what it's supposed to but does not cut out the power too much. You should try to update your software also.

I personally found it a pleasure to drive in the winter snow... Don't know what everyone's problems were TBH, just got to drive smoothly and it doesn't make much difference whether TC is on or off ::) ::)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 14 July 2009, 12:51:32 »

Only 2.6/3.2 are updatable, 2.5/3.0 aren't
Grumpy old man

kcl

• Omega Knight
  • Finland
    • Volvo V60 D4 -14
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 14 July 2009, 12:55:46 »

I personally found it a pleasure to drive in the winter snow... Don't know what everyone's problems were TBH, just got to drive smoothly and it doesn't make much difference whether TC is on or off ::) ::)

Yes, it's a pleasure to a certain extent, but when you have to drive four months in knee-high snow you really miss the summer-like grip  ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 14 July 2009, 13:02:39 »

Yes, it's a pleasure to a certain extent, but when you have to drive four months in knee-high snow you really miss the summer-like grip  ;)
Now I'm jealous - we don't get real snow in this part of the world.  In fact our world stops when we get 10cm of snow  :-[
Grumpy old man

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 14 July 2009, 13:06:41 »

Now I'm jealous - we don't get real snow in this part of the world.  In fact our world stops when we get 10cm of snow  :-[

Sure you mean 10mm of snow! ::) ::) ::)

Too many idiots on the roads in a hurry when a bit of care would suffice >:( >:( >:( >:(
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

JohnM

• Intermediate Member
  • Newark on Trent
    • 2.5M Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 14 July 2009, 20:20:59 »

Post 1998 cars - if just one wheel is spinning, will apply brake to that wheel, if that doesn't cure, will start to cut power. If both wheels spinning, will start to cut power.
Jamie where does the mini-F/L fit in to this, pre-98?

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 14 July 2009, 21:00:41 »

No, after 98-ish up to facelift.  :y

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 14 July 2009, 21:30:20 »

Am i reading this correctly, will the traction control cut in even if it is turned off, or have i misunderstood some of the comments, as i thought off was off . :-/ :-/Very confused---JK

Just remember ... TC is ON by default .. ie .. no TC light on = TC is working .. well waiting to work ... :)

if you press the TC button and the light comes on .. you have just turned the TC OFF !!

It works the opposite way to what a lot of folk think ...  :)
« Last Edit: 14 July 2009, 21:31:01 by entwood »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 14 July 2009, 21:35:24 »

Minifacelift is 1998 and 1999
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 17 queries.