Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Auto box playing up sometimes  (Read 3454 times)

SP_3.2

• Omega Baron
  • Leicester
    • drives A6 allroad 3.0tdi
    • View Profile
Auto box playing up sometimes
« on: 16 August 2009, 20:01:18 »

What i am getting is sometime when in gear the car will rev up and go into netral  and when i take my foot of the gas it goes back into gear. No message on display. I have had the Gear box oil changed last year but they did not clean  the fillters  they put in about 5L of new oil.. Had the levels checked last week and all is fine.  Thinking it could be
1= Fillters need a clean
2= Need to clean the selector .

What do you lot think.

Thanks

Steve.
Also drive a Savage 25 niro truck...and flys a Bell 47 twister Savage 46 ss and a Tamiya audi TT ..for now.

Richard A

• Aldridge, West Midlands
    • View Profile
Re: Auto box playing up sometimes
« Reply #1 on: 16 August 2009, 21:04:25 »

Hello Steve, between which gears does it happen ?

regards
richard a
richard a

SP_3.2

• Omega Baron
  • Leicester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 August 2009, 21:11:40 »

Hi Richard

its at low speeds i would say 1-2nd or 2-3.

Also drive a Savage 25 niro truck...and flys a Bell 47 twister Savage 46 ss and a Tamiya audi TT ..for now.

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 August 2009, 22:30:08 »

There are a couple of other recent threads on this subject. If atf and filters changed and atf level fine - then thrust washer is possibility. Check atf for signs of broken thrust washer.

Quote from other thread regarding putting up with defective thrust washer:

"If you carry on driving with the thrust washer missing, you're going to need machining on the pump face, and the amount of extra play in the input shaft is likely to damage other components.

I don't like to disagree, but based on personal experience (and learning the hard way) I would urge you to get the thrust washer changed while the box is still good. "
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

AndersH

• Intermediate Member
  • Poole
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 August 2009, 22:43:50 »

Mine does the same, especially when cold and pulling away first thing. I press the sport button which will then put it back into gear with a thump. I took the car to Sassanach of this forum about a year and a half ago, who very kindly helped me out. He took the box out and the thrust washer was fine. We put the box back on and refilled it (after trying another gearbox which didn't work) which cured it for about a year - the problem is coming back again now though...

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 August 2009, 22:52:47 »

5 Litres sounds low if both sumps were dropped. Should take 7 or 8 IMHO. Might be worth double checking that the ATF was checked after the lever has been cycled through all positions, with the car level and the engine running.

Might be worth a code read to see if the ECU is unhappy about anything. :-/

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 August 2009, 23:04:11 »

When you change gear manually to try and put it back in drive and get a "clunk" that is when you might get the eml light coming on and which goes off when you stop and restart engine. Code on pedal test may say something like "Auto Gearbox Service Attention".

Have not had eml light on since atf and filter changed but had one very brief blip when it lost drive at low speed.

[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
  • Jammie smells of Pooh....
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 August 2009, 23:22:12 »

5 Litres sounds low if both sumps were dropped. Should take 7 or 8 IMHO. Might be worth double checking that the ATF was checked after the lever has been cycled through all positions, with the car level and the engine running.

Might be worth a code read to see if the ECU is unhappy about anything. :-/

Kevin

Kev, I have spoken to Steve and I asked the same thing. He said that the car was warm when checked and on a level lift, when the guy undid the level plug oil just dripped out.

Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

SP_3.2

• Omega Baron
  • Leicester
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 August 2009, 00:07:10 »

Forgot to say that when they did the oil change they old  took off the big sump and not the small one . >:( >:(. This was last year before i know about removing the both ::).

Do you think it would be a good move to have it done with both off and also clean the fillters to.

feeutfo

« Reply #9 on: 18 August 2009, 00:38:55 »

hi Steve. Yes mate both sumps, defo. Needs doing again really. Thumping would suggest so on its own.

SP_3.2

• Omega Baron
  • Leicester
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18 August 2009, 10:19:03 »

hi Steve. Yes mate both sumps, defo. Needs doing again really. Thumping would suggest so on its own.

Hi Chris

Thinking it could be as thinking about it there will be a good amount of old oill still left in the box by not having the 2nd small sump removed.

With the fillers can they just be cleaned or will i deff need to get new ones.

Thank
Steve.

Richard A

• Aldridge, West Midlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 18 August 2009, 10:42:27 »

Hello Steve, thrust washer if broken - remains will be in the small front sump, only one filter which is in the large sump and is cleanable. Please check between which gears does it 'flare', also on the way up or down, or both. On my auto it was between 2-3 going up only, replaced the 2-3 solenoid, problem solved.
regards
richard a
richard a

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18 August 2009, 11:06:42 »

If the front sump wasn't drained that would only leave a relatively small amount of old fluid in the box when it was changed. (perhaps a litre or two?).

If 5 litres of fluid have been changed I wouldn't say old fluid is going to be the issue, TBH, so I wouldn't go to the trouble of changing it again.

In addition, I doubt the filter will be clogged. These boxes are supposed to be maintenance free unless used hard so the filter will be sized accordingly.

Of course, if you want to drop the front sump only to check for bits of thrust washer that might be worthwhile.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

SP_3.2

• Omega Baron
  • Leicester
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 18 August 2009, 11:47:14 »

Someone did say something about the bands...could it be that one of them may need adjusting just and if they where out symptoms. Also is there much the Tech 2 can tell my about these i.e if working or adjusted right
 Thanks

Steve.
« Last Edit: 18 August 2009, 11:47:37 by SP_3.2 »

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 18 August 2009, 13:02:14 »

There is a band that can be adjusted on this box. Not sure what role it plays and if its' maladjustment would result in these symptoms though. :-/

Whilst codes can be read from the ECU using a Tech 2 they would only be reporting if a control circuit into the gearbox was intermittent, for example, or if the gearbox has obviously failed to respond to inputs from the ECU (i.e. hit neutrals and failed to change ratios when commanded).

It might be a start, though, because it could just be an intermittent connection to one of the shift solenoids, I suppose. :-/

Kevin
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.