Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: flushing additives to engine oil  (Read 1073 times)

marcus

• View Profile
flushing additives to engine oil
« on: 15 October 2009, 22:58:24 »

Hi
My 2.0i had a problem when I bought it 3 years ago. The oil pressure warning light would come on at random times and it was low pressure not the switch judging by the rattle from the engine. I sorted this by changing the oil filter which I guessed was blocked and the engine seemed not to have come to any harm as about 20k miles since then. Anyway seemed to resolve the problem at that time.
Now the problem has returned and I am about to change oil and filter. Also I plan to use some STP Engine flush, which is claimed to release sludge/caked deposits before emptying the old oil.
My questions are:-
1) does this flushing additive actually work i.e. get rid of sludgy deposits?
2) Is it likely to be the sump pan wire mesh filter that is blocked as well as the filter element and in the event that a filter change does not work is there a way of unblocking this mesh without taking off the sump pan?
3) Is there some other cause that would explain the intermittent loss of oil pressure, that i have not thought of?
« Last Edit: 15 October 2009, 22:59:53 by m26 »

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: flushing additives to engine oil
« Reply #1 on: 15 October 2009, 23:03:22 »

It's not generally reckoned to be a good idea touse engine oil flushes. As per the claim of your flush, they releae lumps of sludge, which can block oil ways and cause more costly problems.
If you suspect you oil pump pipe strainer is blocked, it's not too difficult to remove the lower pan.
Try some very frequent oil changes. Every 1000 mile or so

rustym95

• Omega Knight
  • Rotherham south yorks
  • carn't get up dont go out!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 October 2009, 23:04:58 »

some times it clean it all out all in one go,, but found if you do it twice, then it would clean it all out better, what oil have you been using, the only part it dose not clean is the head air top, that i used some petrol and left it to soak for an hour, then all the black gunk came out. :y
Omega's is a life not just a car. also do ecu codes read and wiped or rest.., fix LCD tv & DVD recorders PS3's and most electrical equipment just e-mail me.

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #3 on: 15 October 2009, 23:09:16 »

Hi
My 2.0i had a problem when I bought it 3 years ago. The oil pressure warning light would come on at random times and it was low pressure not the switch judging by the rattle from the engine. I sorted this by changing the oil filter which I guessed was blocked and the engine seemed not to have come to any harm as about 20k miles since then. Anyway seemed to resolve the problem at that time.
Now the problem has returned and I am about to change oil and filter. Also I plan to use some STP Engine flush, which is claimed to release sludge/caked deposits before emptying the old oil.
My questions are:-
1) does this flushing additive actually work i.e. get rid of sludgy deposits?
2) Is it likely to be the sump pan wire mesh filter that is blocked as well as the filter element and in the event that a filter change does not work is there a way of unblocking this mesh without taking off the sump pan?
3) Is there some other cause that would explain the intermittent loss of oil pressure, that i have not thought of?

Don't use engine flush you'll only circulate crud into your oilways with possibly costly results.

Again suggest you change oil and filter more frequently than 20K miles - thats only asking for trouble!!
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 October 2009, 06:46:14 »

some times it clean it all out all in one go,, but found if you do it twice, then it would clean it all out better, what oil have you been using, the only part it dose not clean is the head air top, that i used some petrol and left it to soak for an hour, then all the black gunk came out. :y

Are you saying you put petrol in the oil?  :-?

rustym95

• Omega Knight
  • Rotherham south yorks
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 October 2009, 08:33:33 »

no take it off and soak it.
Omega's is a life not just a car. also do ecu codes read and wiped or rest.., fix LCD tv & DVD recorders PS3's and most electrical equipment just e-mail me.

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 October 2009, 08:41:47 »

no take it off and soak it.

I have heard of replacing oil with diesel temporarily but not with petrol!  :o

Wouldn't that be dangerous?  :-?

rustym95

• Omega Knight
  • Rotherham south yorks
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 October 2009, 08:49:45 »

no only take the top off and do that way, nothing else, diesel will do more harm than good, dont know about bio diesel, but there is a chemical in diesel wich will contaminate other oil's, effectively killing the oil properties. petrol will evaporate out in the air if left long enough.
« Last Edit: 16 October 2009, 08:50:57 by Russell_Hill »

Ghost

• Omega Baron
  • Seaham, North East england
    • 2.6 V6 CDX Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 October 2009, 09:20:15 »

My wifes Corsa was well cloged with old oil. Looked like it had never been changed and looked like tar,
I got it clean rather quick by putting 20w50 oil in and changeing the filter done that every 100 / 150 miles
took two filters and changes and it was clean and still is with proper oil. You can get the 20w50 for £6 5ltr at asda.
He who brakes Looses
To old to die young

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 October 2009, 09:28:02 »

When I had oil pressure problems on a v6, is was due to the filter not being fitted properly, it had folded over in the housing and therefore blocked things up, but the bits it didn't block pulled crap into the oil pump which rendered that pretty much useless.

The knock on effect was blocked oil ways in the head. At this point I bit the bullet and bought a replacement engine.

Please don't go through what I went hrough. It's worth taking the sump off and double/triple checking everything is clean and running through ok.

On a side note, if this problem keeps coming back, spend a few quid and get an oil pressure gauge. When you pressure starts to drop, you know it's oil/filter change and sump cleaning time.
FCR and cam lock off kit available. Deposit maybe required. Contact me.

sharky

• west sussex
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16 October 2009, 11:07:48 »

I used engine flush on every oil change, every 5,000 miles, (admitidly was on a chrysler voyager V6) but never had a problem :)

cazcar

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 16 October 2009, 17:10:23 »

thanks all the cat blockage sounds about right as the near side manifold sounds like a tractor

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 16 October 2009, 19:00:07 »

The issue with a flush is that if there is crudd in the system then it will get into the sump and clogg the strainer.

If there is little crudd in the system then there will be no issues and no point in using it!

Good oil will give a more gentle clean to the internals and hence no risk of big clumps of crudd blocking the strainer.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.014 seconds with 18 queries.