Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: TYRES TYRES TYRES  (Read 3427 times)

jonnycool

• Omega Baron
  • Merthyr Tydfil, S. Wales
  • We shag 'em, you eat 'em
    • View Profile
Re: TYRES TYRES TYRES
« Reply #15 on: 21 October 2009, 22:47:21 »

I was gonna say, couldn't have been that bad an accident if you're still driving the car  :y

Thank goodness  ;D
« Last Edit: 21 October 2009, 22:47:59 by jmdavies »
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving probably isn't for you

Ken L

• Sheffield, South Yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 21 October 2009, 22:52:52 »

No one has mentioned this, but you could have gone over something in the road, diesel spills are quite common, especially on roundabouts. It happened to my son comming of a roundabout a few months back, not going fast the back end just went out on his BMW M3 and it spun of and hit the kurb of the central reservation and ended up on the grass.

Rear wheel drive and diesel on bends...not a good combination.

Hutchyano

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 21 October 2009, 23:02:48 »

RWD isn't dangerous, just acts differently to FWD when the driven wheels lose traction.

Not making any comment on your driving and/or experience with RWD - just fair to say that many people now only have experience with FWD, hence the 'RWD is dangerous' comments people state.

You are correct, poor tyres won't help - but if you have come from FWD cars, you'll still have some new skills to find :y

As said, not meant as any comment about your driving experience - for all I know, you could be the worlds best driver :y  ;D

Not at all the world best driver but yes have came from FWD car, Then a BMW that was RWD and now the MV6 but yeah new skills needed ASAP lol!!! the new skills being body work!!! :D
Opps!

;D ;D

Metal can be whacked back with a hammer.  Skin and bones can't :y.

Back to your issue, my old tractor used to sometimes 'snap out' a bit quicker than expected in very heavy rain if I was accelerating.  The tyres were great in dry and rain, just not brilliant in very heavy rain. And the power delivery was a bit harsh due to the chip, so I can relate to how quickly an Omega can step out.  That said, its probably then best RWD for feedback I've driven.

Does sound like tyres are your issue, but worth checking for any wear in rear suspension, or borken rear springs (common Omega fault) which could add an element of unpredictability

Ok will have a look into it!! thanks a million for all your help!!!

albitz

« Reply #18 on: 21 October 2009, 23:10:58 »

Broken springs are always a suspect,they often break (heavy car/crap roads).As I said in a post yesterday (iirc) mine broke and the car oversteered alarmingly at stupidly low speed,particularily in the wet. :y

Selseybill

• La Rochelle
    • 2.0 pre face, 2.2 CDX est
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 21 October 2009, 23:29:16 »

Shall we get back to the subject.OK you may be a complete boy racer with foot flat down all the time or a little old lady that doesn't know what top gear is for.He had a spin out for what every reasons and is asking fellow omega owners for help in what tyres they recommend.
Sorry i know it's late but reading though the posting it seemed people were have a go at him for the way he drives.If i have read them wrong i apologise now and sorry if i have afended anyone   

albitz

« Reply #20 on: 21 October 2009, 23:45:58 »

Agreed. :y

feeutfo

« Reply #21 on: 21 October 2009, 23:59:40 »

Hi everyone, had a accident in my 3.2 MV6 at the weekend. Not very happy but hay i am still alive so nothing to complain about. The car just span out of control and i am convinced that the Tyres are the problem. So i am not going to mess about!!! i want to order 4 good tyres for the car. it is 2001 and i was just wondering if anyone out there could help me with the make i should go with. Money is always hard to come by but am willing to invest to be safe. tyres are 235/45 17 :)
The Tunster may be a little....abrupt? at times. But tbh he has a point. With traction control on the omega it is almost impossible, well, fairly difficult to spin. In fact with tc enabled as it is by default, unless you press the button, it is a real fun killer. But more importantly it works very well if you get caught out. It has kept me out of the ditch on icey un salted roads at least twice iirc.

I really was not expecting the car to slide at such a slow speed following another car, so was not ready for it at all. Finger and thumb on the wheel elbow on the sil. Slide, tc cut in, grip, wow sh1t, all over before i knew what happened almost.

Also note the police dont choose the omega without good reason. Safety is one of those good reasons and some are still in service or at least very recently retired. You have the same sport model mv6, which is lowered with better suspension than other models.

So, something is definately not right, as you suspect by the sound of it. Some things to ponder.
No amount of traction controle will save a complete loss of grip from diesel, ice, flat bald tires, punctures, or any sudden change in grip that over powers your tyres. Or as tunnie says, cornering beyond the tyres grip level. Remember tc can only cut the power applied. It can not save a slide on corner speed with a closed throttle say.

Mechanical faults should not be ruled out either. The Omega is a bit fussy on set up, camber, toe, trail all have a bad effect if out. Various bushes can fail or degrade, springs brake, shocks fail, etc etc, and turn the car into a complete barge to drive and a poor grip condition arrives very easily if things are missed, a valid MOT is no guarantee, not by a long way.

Tyres themselves however, well a certain amount of preferance is involved, but certainly price is a clue. Michelin primacy "can" come out at £600 a set but can last 30k which makes them quite cheap, if you can afford the outlay, will last, grip, give good stability and be quiet ish. In reality not many pay that much and some find fault with them. You can pay less than half that for 4, yes, and i guarantee they will be hopeless. (Q loads of members quoting "my 20 sobs a corner sling slimes or wally ditch finders are good tyres". Well as black and round goes they are tyres, yes, with groves and a speed rating, but shite, end of)

Michelin primacy
Dunlop sport max or sp 9000
Continental sports contact 2 or 3. 

Can personally vouch for the above, Dunlops are imho the most stable and give a good planted feel but are a bit noisy. Primacy give a little less grip(we are still talking premium levels) but last longer IME
Conti sc 3 i have fitted now, very similar to older sc2. Quieter than the others, possibly more grip, but less accurate, by that i mean a tad of tramlining.

I also considered Bridgestone potenza said to be very grippy, by a member on here.

Pirelli p zero, iirc, where slated a while back, by some members on here, for the Omega. Appalling tramlining and better suited to front wheel drive cars where some of the comments.

Falkens, considered a premium tyre by some very knowledgable people,(WIM) 452s are ok for grip but less stable still, being softer dont last as long as the harder 912s that i had (here we go) which are absolutely appalling for stability, they pull and wonder all over the place, i seriously thought there was a fault with the car. However, both these models are exceptionally quiet, and well priced, i paid 370 ish fitted and balanced, for a premium tyre, but my 912s, the harder model, where on course for 15k life span, which makes both models quite expensive imho. Grip levels on both these models are not even close to either the sc2 or 3 or either Dunlop model mentioned above, but all will last longer. Hth :-)

What tyres did you have fitted when you spun? And where you on the power when it let go?

Ghost

• Omega Baron
  • Seaham, North East england
    • 2.6 V6 CDX Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 21 October 2009, 23:59:49 »

RWD isn't dangerous, just acts differently to FWD when the driven wheels lose traction.

Not making any comment on your driving and/or experience with RWD - just fair to say that many people now only have experience with FWD, hence the 'RWD is dangerous' comments people state.

You are correct, poor tyres won't help - but if you have come from FWD cars, you'll still have some new skills to find :y

As said, not meant as any comment about your driving experience - for all I know, you could be the worlds best driver :y  ;D

Not at all the world best driver but yes have came from FWD car, Then a BMW that was RWD and now the MV6 but yeah new skills needed ASAP lol!!! the new skills being body work!!! :D

On your question about tyres I mostly have had Goodyears or firestone tyres on my cars ( mostly rwd ) So I would say try Goodyears.

On your other comment about expirience, do you have a skid track near you?, or you could do it as I did (about 24 years ago) wait till it snows then find a Empty Car park and Driving slowly, use you gas pedal and get the car controlled to breakout, drive slow as on snow/ice its hard to stop and you dont want to damage your car again.  when the car breaks out stear into the slide ( ie backend goes left stear left) not to much though, it takes a bit of time to get used to but does make a lot of fun and you learn how to keep your car under controll.

But till then if the backend breaks out, Foot from gas and dont break.
He who brakes Looses
To old to die young

Selseybill

• La Rochelle
    • 2.0 pre face, 2.2 CDX est
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 22 October 2009, 00:00:36 »

Agreed. :y

Thank you

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 22 October 2009, 00:30:06 »

lol i turned me tc off on purpose and pulled onto a wet roundabout purposely stamped down and ended up pointing the wrong way facing a bus! lol, but im new to miggers and i agree that you can feel it start to go as it does feel really balanced :y

Sounds self inflicked and nothing at all to do with the tyres, had the TC have been left alone then I am guesing there would have been  no issues.

I have a 2.5 with Avons on and a 3,0 with something or other on the rear and I can pirouette the rear end in any wet conditions, as I am sure I could no watter what the brand or condition of the tyres.

Your driving ability may well get attention drawn to it, but playing/testing in front of a bus is not the way to do it.  With an excess of 200 bho you dont actually expect a pair of 235's to maintain traction with TC on in the wet of a bend under full throttle with sports mode on and your right foot planted and a fooking big  :) on your face whilst doing it, do you?

As a matter of interest what brand/model tyres do you have fitted.
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

3.2 manual

• nr yeovil, somerset
  • the great thread ender! whoops
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 22 October 2009, 06:49:09 »

senator!- dangerous in the wet?(prefer it to the omega) it was the carlton gsi 3000 24v that had me, but i could have made that corner.. if i was on the ground. mine just wouldnt turn once it was in flight(should have fitted a rudder but it did take six years to catch me out). my fault entirely, but i find the omega very different. more twitchy. i think its because the straight six hung out front and the v6 is further back(due to the fact its shorter). gonna have a pair of firestones put on the front saturday. used them on the carlton alround, always likes the way they drifted before letting go (they let you know you were being a pillock before they tried to kill you, as long as still attached to a road, the feeling they gave in the air was somewhat vauge.) so theyre going on the wrong end really but at £83 each oh well.
« Last Edit: 22 October 2009, 06:59:04 by lovelectricity »
oh bugger, i thought that was a bit of wind!!!

kingplym

• Intermediate Member
  • camden, hatfield, st.neots
  • sports on, kick down
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 22 October 2009, 07:00:57 »

nangteng tyres they came brand new with the car i think they were refered to as ditch finders before! as said by others i have come from front wheel drive pariticularly vans and i find the front sliding out much more disturbing than the rear of me migger when ever its wet. ive only got 205 wide tyres on there at the mo which im changing to 225's at the end of the month  as to the round about incident i was trying to get it to kick out just got a little more than i expected lol : ;D ;D :y
i am willing to trade my electrical labour for parts work etc

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 22 October 2009, 08:25:05 »

Shall we get back to the subject.OK you may be a complete boy racer with foot flat down all the time or a little old lady that doesn't know what top gear is for.He had a spin out for what every reasons and is asking fellow omega owners for help in what tyres they recommend.
Sorry i know it's late but reading though the posting it seemed people were have a go at him for the way he drives.If i have read them wrong i apologise now and sorry if i have afended anyone   
Well said that man :y
Grumpy old man

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 22 October 2009, 09:52:36 »

nangteng tyres they came brand new with the car i think they were refered to as ditch finders before! as said by others i have come from front wheel drive pariticularly vans and i find the front sliding out much more disturbing than the rear of me migger when ever its wet. ive only got 205 wide tyres on there at the mo which im changing to 225's at the end of the month  as to the round about incident i was trying to get it to kick out just got a little more than i expected lol : ;D ;D :y

nangteng ditch finders is what I believe they are nicknamed on the forum.

Selseybill wrote on Yesterday at 11:29pm:

I agree Bill, but I also still stand by what I said, you dont test the limits of a car that are unknown to you of a 200bhp car on a public highway in front of a bus.  ::)
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 22 October 2009, 10:00:32 »

nangteng ditch finders is what I believe they are nicknamed on the forum.

Selseybill wrote on Yesterday at 11:29pm:

I agree Bill, but I also still stand by what I said, you dont test the limits of a car that are unknown to you of a 200bhp car on a public highway in front of a bus.  ::)

Too right, do it in front of some stupid Japanise tin boxes  ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 17 queries.