Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Supercharger  (Read 2312 times)

Exec

• Poland, Radom
    • View Profile
Supercharger
« on: 17 November 2009, 23:46:56 »

Hi everyone,
i'm considering placing a supercharger in my miggy, has anyone already done it here?

I've been searching the forum, but I didn't found any supercharged V6 miggy here.

Perhaps some of you already tried to make a supercharged V6 here?

I'm gonna make some soft supercharging, (about 5 PSI) to avoid expensive modifications of engine. I will probably use eaton m62.

If anyone has some experience with superchargers please contact me :)

Ziad

• Omega Knight
  • Bahrain
  • They say money talks,but all mine says is Goodbye!
    • View Profile
Re: Supercharger
« Reply #1 on: 19 November 2009, 06:40:21 »

Havent seen one myself, but I wanted to go supercharger way too. If you happen to do it, leave me a PM plz :y

geoff

• thornaby,stockton on tees
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: 19 November 2009, 06:59:09 by geoff »

Exec

• Poland, Radom
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 November 2009, 07:12:49 »

have a look at this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViGhqPlbTw0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lgnp3-BPUj0&feature=related

yeah, i've seen all those videos, the thing that worries me is all the videos show test, test rides, there are no viedos showing that these cars live with their supercharges, i mean there are no complications after long usage, long distances etc. I would like to drive supercharged omega for two years, not for two days...

geoff

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 November 2009, 07:19:17 »

i would say there would be a lot of reliabilty probs with all the pressure on the pipes and engine i think turbo would be the best opion i think
« Last Edit: 19 November 2009, 07:19:53 by geoff »

Exec

• Poland, Radom
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 November 2009, 08:49:25 »

i would say there would be a lot of reliabilty probs with all the pressure on the pipes and engine i think turbo would be the best opion i think
this engine won't handle tubro until you make expensive modifications...
i just wanna make some soft charge (about 5PSI)

here you can find interesting turbo vs. supercharger comparison:
http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/engines-transmission/41016-i-think-some-people-were-too-quick-write-off-supercharger.html

geoff

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 November 2009, 08:53:34 »

turbo seems to work o.k with v6 saab engines and calibra v6turbo, so could work well with omega very similar engine i thought both gm units arn't they
www.webwombat.com.au/motoring/news_reports/saab-9-3-v6.htm
there is also insignia's and vectra's with v6 turbo's now wow  8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) :y :y :y :y
« Last Edit: 19 November 2009, 09:15:31 by geoff »

Exec

• Poland, Radom
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 November 2009, 09:24:51 »

turbo seems to work o.k with v6 saab engines and calibra v6turbo, so could work well with omega very similar engine i thought both gm units arn't they
www.webwombat.com.au/motoring/news_reports/saab-9-3-v6.htm

1. i don't need turbo to achieve 5 PSI
2. installing turbo would be really more expensive than supercharger
3. installng turbo would be more complicated to fit (oil, cooling, lack of place for exhaust pipes)
4. turbo won't be efective under 3000rpm, supercharger 'gives power' instantly all over the rev range (no turbo lag)
5. i wanna be unique and i want to have supercharger :)

omegadan67

• northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 November 2009, 12:55:18 »

. i don't need turbo to achieve 5 PSI
2. installing turbo would be really more expensive than supercharger
3. installng turbo would be more complicated to fit (oil, cooling, lack of place for exhaust pipes)
4. turbo won't be efective under 3000rpm, supercharger 'gives power' instantly all over the rev range (no turbo lag)
5. i wanna be unique and i want to have supercharger

i agree turbo would be more expensive to install however would offer better performance than supercharging

turbos have changed since the late 80's when turbo lag was at its height. the advance of turbos over the years with ceramic varible vane technolgy etc turbos can give boost from as low as 1250 revs to 5000 revs where as a supercharger is limited by design to give a linar power surge 1000 revs to 4000 revs and takes power from the very engine you are trying to rasie power on
A little infomation is dangerous in the wrong hands

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 November 2009, 13:40:11 »

A turbocharger and a supercharger are not really that different as far as the engine is concerned. Yes, the power delivery will be slightly different and the mechanical challenges of fitting them will be different (driving a supercharger from the crank vs. finding somewhere to mount a turbo).

Remember that a turbo leaches power from the engine as well. It's adding restriction to the exhaust system that the engine must work against. Some of that energy would have been wasted anyway, but not all by any means.

Either way "just bolting on" either to a standard engine will give you a very compromised solution.

To make it worthwhile, IMHO, you need to reduce the compression and fit an engine management system that will allow you to properly map the ignition and fuel "on boost". You will then no doubt have other issues like cooling and cam timing to worry about too.

Putting a couple of pounds boost onto an engine that already has 10.7:1 compression is not worth the bother, IMHO.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Exec

• Poland, Radom
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 November 2009, 14:21:36 »

my friend recenlty has turbocharges his miggy A C30SE, the total cost was about 4000 pounds...

here in V6 it could be even more expensive

Putting a couple of pounds boost onto an engine that already has 10.7:1 compression is not worth the bother, IMHO.
Kevin

well, it's all true, so just like i said, i'm gonna make some soft charging, i don't need turbo with such reserve of power that won't be ever used...

if my 3.0V6 won't handle without reducing compression i will try to use 3.2 V6 engine, it has compression about 10.0:1 afair

it will be some kind of experiment for me, i'm not gonna make 300BHP or more, rather get some practice for projects in future...

i'will probably buy a V6 miggy from UK, because those are really cheap, and i will make all the modifications on this motor. Then, when every thing will be done and working fine the supercharger and stuff will be moved to my car...

ENFIELD_MV6

• Intermediate Member
  • Enfield
  • previously from leicestershire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 November 2009, 17:15:10 »

Total vauxhall magazine are doing a step by step on fitting a s/c onto a V6

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 November 2009, 17:35:36 »

my friend recenlty has turbocharges his miggy A C30SE, the total cost was about 4000 pounds...

here in V6 it could be even more expensive

Kevin

well, it's all true, so just like i said, i'm gonna make some soft charging, i don't need turbo with such reserve of power that won't be ever used...

if my 3.0V6 won't handle without reducing compression i will try to use 3.2 V6 engine, it has compression about 10.0:1 afair

it will be some kind of experiment for me, i'm not gonna make 300BHP or more, rather get some practice for projects in future...

i'will probably buy a V6 miggy from UK, because those are really cheap, and i will make all the modifications on this motor. Then, when every thing will be done and working fine the supercharger and stuff will be moved to my car...

:o :o :o :o

Why not just drop in a V8 for that money?

omegadan67

• northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19 November 2009, 18:33:39 »

A turbocharger and a supercharger are not really that different as far as the engine is concerned. Yes, the power delivery will be slightly different and the mechanical challenges of fitting them will be different (driving a supercharger from the crank vs. finding somewhere to mount a turbo).

Remember that a turbo leaches power from the engine as well. It's adding restriction to the exhaust system that the engine must work against. Some of that energy would have been wasted anyway, but not all by any means.

turbos can handle more power than super chargers,and the restriction you imply would only be a problem if you kept to the standard diametre exhaust
A little infomation is dangerous in the wrong hands

pedroMV6

• Omega Knight
  • York
  • Der Metzgermeister
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 19 November 2009, 19:44:01 »

My twopennorth.

All this talk of 'chargers "robbing" the engine of power to make them work is irrelevant.
The end result is more power/torque, therefore it's how the power is produced and used that changes.
Say that a NA engine kicks out 200BHP then to turbo or supercharge it, and it then kicks out 250 BHP - how can that "rob" power?
You now have an engine that kicks out 25% more power!!!  :y

Anyway, to the question of a supercharger for the V6 Omega - there is/was a kit available for the V*ctra B - shouldn't be too hard to dig one out and make it fit an Omega. I think Courtenays in North Walsham, Norfolk, did one.

Loving the Vectra C 2.2 diesel!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.