Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best tyres for the Omega  (Read 991 times)

pembroke

• Suffolk
    • View Profile
Best tyres for the Omega
« on: 06 December 2009, 15:39:44 »

I need to replace my rear tyres next month, their currently Pirelli's and will cost a smal fortune to replace; are there any cheaper alternatives that won't result in increased road noise, reduced safety etc? I want to spend about £200 in total

Selseybill

• La Rochelle
    • 2.0 pre face, 2.2 CDX est
    • View Profile
Re: Best tyres for the Omega
« Reply #1 on: 06 December 2009, 15:48:31 »

best to look though the previous postings for tyres on the general car posts as this subject can go on for hours also same also goes for which oil to use.
IIRC the last time this was asked was last week so you wont have to go back that far.

al brown

• alton, hants
    • Rusty 97 3l estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 December 2009, 16:05:30 »

mytyre.co.uk had P7 for £104 a few weeks ago. Sure it was them. I bought Accelerra alpha in the end to replace my old P7. About half the cost, not quite as good in the wet but they are progressive when they loose grip so no sudden suprise. Cant fault them in the dry.
Al
If it aint broken, you aint trying hard enough

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #3 on: 06 December 2009, 16:07:47 »

Accelerra alpha around £50 all in per tyre if you shop around!! ;)
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

al brown

• alton, hants
    • Rusty 97 3l estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 December 2009, 16:08:56 »

Sorry my bad, was here for P7 £105 fully fitted
http://www.etyres.co.uk/car-tyres-uk/detail?productId=3875

feeutfo

« Reply #5 on: 06 December 2009, 16:37:04 »

I need to replace my rear tyres next month, their currently Pirelli's and will cost a smal fortune to replace; are there any cheaper alternatives that won't result in increased road noise, reduced safety etc? I want to spend about £200 in total
The title and your description say quite alot about peoples opinions of a "good tyre", increasingly this seems to equate to a cheap tyre.
 There in lies the problem. Cheap tyres equals shite tyres. Good tyres equals expensive tyres. There is no such thing as a good tyre when you take price into account sadly. If you want a tyre that works you will be very disappointed for that money IME.

Take into account your driving style, budget and what you find acceptable ,or not, in a tyre it becomes very difficult to recommend a "good tyre".....but i guarantee you one thing, at that price range, the very first thing to suffer is stopping distance,(followed by road noise) making the whole game a gamble and quite possibly a very expensive gamble at that.

Good luck. For that money, you'll need it i'm afraid.

pembroke

• Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 December 2009, 17:41:20 »

The title and your description say quite alot about peoples opinions of a "good tyre", increasingly this seems to equate to a cheap tyre.
 There in lies the problem. Cheap tyres equals shite tyres. Good tyres equals expensive tyres. There is no such thing as a good tyre when you take price into account sadly. If you want a tyre that works you will be very disappointed for that money IME.

Take into account your driving style, budget and what you find acceptable ,or not, in a tyre it becomes very difficult to recommend a "good tyre".....but i guarantee you one thing, at that price range, the very first thing to suffer is stopping distance,(followed by road noise) making the whole game a gamble and quite possibly a very expensive gamble at that.

I'm happy to pay £107 each for P7's, that right in my budget. Im not looking for bargin basement tyres, but don't/can't afford top price at the moment..(thanks Al) :)
« Last Edit: 06 December 2009, 17:42:17 by pembroke »

sandune

• Omega Baron
  • Essex Southend
    • 2.6 Omega Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 December 2009, 17:54:25 »

Have a look at this "Blackcircles . com
  £200 will get you the best tyres :y

feeutfo

« Reply #8 on: 06 December 2009, 18:40:53 »

I'm happy to pay £107 each for P7's, that right in my budget. Im not looking for bargin basement tyres, but don't/can't afford top price at the moment..(thanks Al) :)

:-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ ah, confession time, missed the fact you only want rear tyres, i read it twice as well....ffs! ;D  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[
All i'll say is dont be tempted by falkens. 

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 December 2009, 19:11:47 »

Try Kuhmo KU31 for a reasonable priced tyre that has good reviews.

Running Dunlop SP Sport Max on mine at the moment that seem to have excellent wet and dry grip but in common with all Dunlops they are a little noisy.

al brown

• alton, hants
    • Rusty 97 3l estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06 December 2009, 20:24:00 »

Last time I used E-tyre I ordered them at 1645 and the mobile fitter was at my house 1330 next day to fit them. That was the P7's\ some of the cheaper brands take a day or 2 to get I was told.
Hope this helps
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 21 queries.