Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Exhaust Gargle  (Read 1181 times)

star_whites

• Rotherham
    • View Profile
Exhaust Gargle
« on: 19 November 2009, 13:02:36 »

I have recently replaced both my backbox and one centre section of my 3.0 exhaust. Since changing this I have a strange gargling noise when I rev the engine almost as if its a back fire. Does anyone have any ideas what is causing this.

Is it because it was a non genuine exhaust or is it that there is a leak somewere. I have checked for it catching somewhere but cannot see anything touching??  :-/

rustym95

• Omega Knight
  • Rotherham south yorks
  • carn't get up dont go out!!
    • View Profile
Re: Exhaust Gargle
« Reply #1 on: 19 November 2009, 23:48:28 »

how meany miles have you done with it, as new cats some times take time to settle, or it could be the heat plate. :y
Omega's is a life not just a car. also do ecu codes read and wiped or rest.., fix LCD tv & DVD recorders PS3's and most electrical equipment just e-mail me.

star_whites

• Rotherham
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 November 2009, 08:01:30 »

The cats are the originals and there was no problem with them. I have also checked all heat shields and it is definatly not them!

Kaycee

• Intermediate Member
  • Doncaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 November 2009, 08:07:22 »

i would think its got to be exhausts did you fit them yourself or local factors if so go back to them you might find you have something in them ie a bolt or something just a thought
There is a tide in the affairs of man if taken at the flood will lead on to greater things

star_whites

• Rotherham
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 November 2009, 13:07:11 »

Yes I fitted them myself and all bolts were accounted for so I know theres no items in there. I still think it is likely to be a
air leak causing it but cant see one. :-/

Harison213

• Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 November 2009, 13:50:31 »

I got the exhaust replaced by a garage on my miss's 206 a while ago (she didn't want to wait for a year until I found a decent cheap exhaust! lol) and it started to make sounds similar to a mis-fire afterwards. At the time I looked in some forums and saw some comments that OEM silencers hide this type of noise better than the aftermarket ones.

Anyway, couple of months later the ignition coil block started playing up and car was mis-firing most of the time. The noise went away as soon as I changed the coil. Just my 2p :)

cruisetopoland

• Omega Knight
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 November 2009, 13:56:25 »

Most likely you have upset a joint further up the system, particularly if you had knackered baffles in the old system-the higher back pressure now might have blown out a weak joint elsewhere in the system.

I find some new systems quieten after a few weeks-there is no soot in it yet!!

cruisetopoland

• Omega Knight
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 November 2009, 19:41:19 »

Most likely you have upset a joint further up the system, particularly if you had knackered baffles in the old system-the higher back pressure now might have blown out a weak joint elsewhere in the system.

Have had same issue with my 2.2, replaced three part exhaust, this upset the failing cat, replaced that; turns out the last person to fit the exhaust manifold gasket broke 3 of the 10 studs and just bodged it.

Found this out while we fitted a new gasket today-now much quieter and runs MUCH better, but will inevitably need the studs drilling out and all 10 fitting correctly.

This explains the gargling, noisy top-end on start-up and poorer economy of late.  Much quicker now!

cruisetopoland

• Omega Knight
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 December 2009, 15:54:25 »

Have had same issue with my 2.2, replaced three part exhaust, this upset the failing cat, replaced that; turns out the last person to fit the exhaust manifold gasket broke 3 of the 10 studs and just bodged it.

Found this out while we fitted a new gasket today-now much quieter and runs MUCH better, but will inevitably need the studs drilling out and all 10 fitting correctly.

This explains the gargling, noisy top-end on start-up and poorer economy of late.  Much quicker now!

Now got a leak free exhaust with new manifold gasket and 10 new VX studs, replacement cat and full 3 part Bosal exhaust system.  Now much quieter, especially on cold start, smoother running and better mpg.  Sounds new again  :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 22 queries.