Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ICV problems  (Read 769 times)

goonv6

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
ICV problems
« on: 15 January 2010, 19:06:24 »

I had a problem a while back that my car was cutting out on idle. I cleaned out the breathers (In fact put a new hose on) cleaned the ICV but its still doing it. I had a spare ICV which I also cleaned but that's making the car idle at 1000 all the time. Shall I just get a new ICV or have I missed something stupid?

feeutfo

Re: ICV problems
« Reply #1 on: 15 January 2010, 20:04:53 »

I had a problem a while back that my car was cutting out on idle. I cleaned out the breathers (In fact put a new hose on) cleaned the ICV but its still doing it. I had a spare ICV which I also cleaned but that's making the car idle at 1000 all the time. Shall I just get a new ICV or have I missed something stupid?
icv on my old 2.5 took several attempts before it settled down, keep cleaning imo, if it responds or improves slightly with each clean then keep going with it. If no improvement you may have to bin it for another one.

Also be carefull not to chip the leading edge of the valve that can be seen from the outlet end to plenum, i managed to chip mine while levering it open to see if it could move and spring shut again freely, which is helpfull to see how it works and thst its not jammed, just dont use a metal screw driver like i did, it will get damaged and stick. Good luck with it. :)

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 January 2010, 23:20:24 »

icv on my old 2.5 took several attempts before it settled down, keep cleaning imo, if it responds or improves slightly with each clean then keep going with it. If no improvement you may have to bin it for another one.

Also be carefull not to chip the leading edge of the valve that can be seen from the outlet end to plenum, i managed to chip mine while levering it open to see if it could move and spring shut again freely, which is helpfull to see how it works and thst its not jammed, just dont use a metal screw driver like i did, it will get damaged and stick. Good luck with it. :)

I've done that too :-[ :-[ :-[
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

rustym95

• Omega Knight
  • Rotherham south yorks
  • carn't get up dont go out!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 January 2010, 23:32:37 »

take to bits and put in some acid cleans good. an old battery is good.
Omega's is a life not just a car. also do ecu codes read and wiped or rest.., fix LCD tv & DVD recorders PS3's and most electrical equipment just e-mail me.

feeutfo

« Reply #4 on: 16 January 2010, 00:16:33 »

its a sealed unit i beleive rusty, battery acid will melt the connecter plug and remove the resin that sets the tick over stop screw in place.

Carb cleaner is the recomended method and will not cause damage to the part, although its wise to avoid carb cleaner on the electrics end of the unit
;

rustym95

• Omega Knight
  • Rotherham south yorks
  • carn't get up dont go out!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 January 2010, 00:20:07 »

its a sealed unit i beleive rusty, battery acid will melt the connecter plug and remove the resin that sets the tick over stop screw in place.

Carb cleaner is the recomended method and will not cause damage to the part, although its wise to avoid carb cleaner on the electrics end of the unit
;
oh so it not open up then,  well dont use acid only good on the one's that can be taken apart.
Omega's is a life not just a car. also do ecu codes read and wiped or rest.., fix LCD tv & DVD recorders PS3's and most electrical equipment just e-mail me.

feeutfo

« Reply #6 on: 16 January 2010, 00:45:04 »

;
oh so it not open up then,  well dont use acid only good on the one's that can be taken apart.
no mate, not open. The 2.5 and 3.0 v6 has an electronicly controlled valve on the side of the plenum,very differant to the 4pot vacume operated unit on the 2.0
« Last Edit: 16 January 2010, 00:46:11 by chrisgixer »

Bionic

• Omega Knight
  • Leicester
  • Why drive anything else?
    • 1999 F/L 3.0 Elite saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 January 2010, 04:41:08 »

Cleaned mine with a 'Green' (Dr. Beckman 'Rescue') oven cleaner spray and an old toothbrush. Worked like magic in short order too. Just poured a hot, not boiling kettle over it after to rinse it off. A quick shake to get the excess water off and the heat remaining dried it all off nicely. No smell (thats a bonus) and no damage caused to anything either. (apart from the overspray I got up the kitchen tiles that got me earache!)
I put it back on and its been brill ever since. Remember to give the visible working bits a bit of lube though cos the cleaner takes it all away.
Guess what the addition to my car tool shed is now?
GudLuk
Too old to suffer, too young to die!
Autobahnstormers Trade Cards now accepted at Drive Leicester and at Marshall's Vauxhall.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.