Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: car alarm  (Read 2282 times)

wightyboy2

• Isle of Wight
    • View Profile
car alarm
« on: 23 January 2010, 09:02:12 »

Hi i have only had my omega for a couple of days and the alarm has gone off in the night a couple of times , is there any way of permanantely disarming the alarm as i live in a fairly low crime area any advice on this would be great cheers  [smiley=dankk2.gif]

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
Re: car alarm
« Reply #1 on: 23 January 2010, 09:09:31 »

Batteries failing in the powersounder. Have a read of this
http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1220198611 :y
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

wightyboy2

• Isle of Wight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 January 2010, 10:00:16 »

wow thanks for your quick responce , I am having one of my many thick days , I looked at the thread it didnt mention anything bout renewing battery , is there a battery in the power sounder if so what type or  is it saying just to unplug it and leave it disconnected , sorry for my denseness :-[ cheers  :y

Rockhampton

• Intermediate Member
  • Trecelyn, Gwent
  • Gone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 January 2010, 11:13:40 »

You can renew the batteries, but the powersounder is designed to be a sealed unit. You can cut it open along the join carefully and open it - there are two different types of battery IIRC, one type is coin cells, and the other are Varta Mempacs which are soldered to the circuit board. If you are handy with a soldering iron, you can replace them for less than a tenner. I've recently done mine, and it was a pretty straightforward job as long as you have a bit of patience!

Here's what they look like inside - both types, mine was the second:
http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1240077701

Here is a good site selling the batteries at a decent price...

http://www.budgetbatteries.co.uk/20940/3-v150h-size-mempac-nimh-3-6v-150mah-varta-rechargeable-memory-protection-battery-pcb-mount/

(the replacements are genuine Varta but only have a single negative pin but that's no issue as the pattern still matches the PCB hole)

Once done, put the two halves back together, and waterproof the join with silicon sealant.
Alternative is to get a replacement unit - around £60 on eBay, around £100 from GM  :(
« Last Edit: 23 January 2010, 11:20:01 by rockhampton »
Previous GM Models include '00 Omega 2.5 CD Auto, '06 Holden Commodore Executive 3.6 Auto, '99 Astra 1.8 CDX Auto, several Astra Diesels.

wightyboy2

• Isle of Wight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 January 2010, 11:42:37 »

Cheers for the brilliant reply as a lazy option could i just unplug the sounder and leave it off as i dont really want an alarm or would that effect anything else in the car? :-/

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 January 2010, 12:12:04 »

Cheers for the brilliant reply as a lazy option could i just unplug the sounder and leave it off  ......

Yes!  :y

Welung666

« Reply #6 on: 23 January 2010, 13:19:48 »

First and easiest thing to try is unplug the bonnet switch and see if it goes off again.

Does the car beep when you take the keys out of the ignition?

unlucky mark mv6

• Omega Knight
  • tipton,west mids
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 January 2010, 13:41:56 »

You can renew the batteries, but the powersounder is designed to be a sealed unit. You can cut it open along the join carefully and open it - there are two different types of battery IIRC, one type is coin cells, and the other are Varta Mempacs which are soldered to the circuit board. If you are handy with a soldering iron, you can replace them for less than a tenner. I've recently done mine, and it was a pretty straightforward job as long as you have a bit of patience!

http://www.budgetbatteries.co.uk/20940/3-v150h-size-mempac-nimh-3-6v-150mah-varta-rechargeable-memory-protection-battery-pcb-mount/

(the replacements are genuine Varta but only have a single negative pin but that's no issue as the pattern still matches the PCB hole)

Once done, put the two halves back together, and waterproof the join with silicon sealant.
Alternative is to get a replacement unit - around £60 on eBay, around £100 from GM  :(
Just had my batteries replaced and the bloke charged me 2 quid to solder em in,just need to stick it back in now.I searched everywhere for the batteries with four pins,dident realise you could use the three pin ones,so paid well over the odds,and when they arrived the tags were soldered on the wrong way round,and that was from cps. :-/
Machine polishing in west mids £40 also body repairs.pm me for more info.

Rockhampton

• Intermediate Member
  • Trecelyn, Gwent
  • Gone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 January 2010, 14:22:34 »

Just had my batteries replaced and the bloke charged me 2 quid to solder em in,just need to stick it back in now.I searched everywhere for the batteries with four pins,dident realise you could use the three pin ones,so paid well over the odds,and when they arrived the tags were soldered on the wrong way round,and that was from cps. :-/

Yes, I was concerned when the batteries turned up with only one negative pin, but they fitted no problems - tested them out with the meter too, and now now more beeps of death!!!. Have to say that Budget Batteries delivered them next day for only £1.75 so was well impressed  :y
Previous GM Models include '00 Omega 2.5 CD Auto, '06 Holden Commodore Executive 3.6 Auto, '99 Astra 1.8 CDX Auto, several Astra Diesels.

wightyboy2

• Isle of Wight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 January 2010, 15:21:51 »

:y thanks to everyone for their help what a brilliant forum cheers , and too welung666 question , no it doesnt beep when i take the key out of the ignition . :y

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 January 2010, 16:51:10 »

Miles out ....  :)

Brand new unit from VX

part no 9194455 Siren £57.50 + Vat

With TC to get trade discount (Non TC Item)  £52.33 + VAT (£7.85)

Total paid £60.18  that was on 25/04/2009
« Last Edit: 23 January 2010, 16:52:11 by entwood »

Rockhampton

• Intermediate Member
  • Trecelyn, Gwent
  • Gone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 January 2010, 17:58:16 »

Miles out ....  :)

Brand new unit from VX

part no 9194455 Siren £57.50 + Vat

With TC to get trade discount (Non TC Item)  £52.33 + VAT (£7.85)

Total paid £60.18  that was on 25/04/2009

Well, that just goes to show - A large dealership in South Wales recently quoted me £88.27 + VAT supply only when I gave them the part number & registration!!!  :D
« Last Edit: 23 January 2010, 17:58:45 by rockhampton »

Welung666

« Reply #12 on: 23 January 2010, 18:03:59 »

:y thanks to everyone for their help what a brilliant forum cheers , and too welung666 question , no it doesnt beep when i take the key out of the ignition . :y

Then either the powersounder is completely dead or it's not the powersounder. Did you try unplugging the bonnet switch?

wightyboy2

• Isle of Wight
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23 January 2010, 19:37:25 »

Cheers welung666 will see if it goes off again tonight if it does i will try unplugging the bonnet switch tomorrow when i find out where it is , thanks for your info  :y

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 23 January 2010, 21:14:15 »

I have just purchased a 2003  2.6 and my alarm goes off for no known reason.I isolate the interior of the car with the running man switch and it then doesnt alarm. Could this also be caused by low battery.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 21 queries.