Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: tyres  (Read 1085 times)

paintshoptec

• cheadle, stoke - on -trent
    • 2002 cd v6 saloon
    • View Profile
tyres
« on: 30 January 2010, 13:57:03 »

which make of tyre is best suited for a 2.6 2002 size 225/55 16 being told all sorts thinga and its blagged my head
HELP
THANKS

KillerWatt

Re: tyres
« Reply #1 on: 30 January 2010, 13:59:55 »

What's your budget?

paintshoptec

• 2002 cd v6 saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 January 2010, 14:01:18 »

UPTO £100 EACH

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 January 2010, 14:11:43 »

For that budget you should be able to fit good rubber... I'm sure Toyo Proxys come in about there and have had a good review :y :y
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 January 2010, 14:13:35 »

You won't get a meaningful recommendation, each to their own.
Grumpy old man

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 January 2010, 14:22:08 »

Hence why I didn't actually recommend anything directly ;) ;)

As TB says... Tyres are a very personal item. It all depends what you expect and how hard you intend to drive it :y :y
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

paintshoptec

• 2002 cd v6 saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 January 2010, 16:19:08 »

really im after tyres which are not noisey as i do a lot of towing with the caravan

pembroke

• Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 January 2010, 22:56:55 »

I've just fitted a set of toyo proxys and they grip very well, dry or wet. They also look very nice and the noise is not noticably different than the Pirellis I had before. They cost me £500 fitted, balanced and with the tracking sorted.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 31 January 2010, 08:34:29 »

The SP9000s, the tyres I favour, do give a bit of road noise.  Also, as they wear towards minimum, tend to tramline a bit
Grumpy old man

feeutfo

« Reply #9 on: 31 January 2010, 10:01:18 »

maybe those with the same tyre/wheel size can help more, could recommend what works for my 17s(conti sc3 if you can get them cheap enough) but may well be differant on your 16s which will give a bigger and more flexible sidewall, which may give less tram lining effect?

Kumho have had possitive comments on here, ku 31 is
 it?
Falkens are exceptionaly quiet, but have apalling directional stability, in 17 inch they go beyond mere tramlining to something akin to driving on water balloons with excessive bump steer thrown in. Avoid!

feeutfo

« Reply #10 on: 31 January 2010, 10:44:48 »

Hence why I didn't actually recommend anything directly ;) ;)

As TB says... Tyres are a very personal item. It all depends what you expect and how hard you intend to drive it :y :y
They are kindeed a personal thing, but if you remove the cost issue and justifying buying the cheepos because of that cost, give an honest account of your driving  style and how a tyre behaves under you, you do end up with the same result and opinion as was proved in my case with the kind help of Kevin Wood, The Boy, first hand, and on line opinions from Bob big Dent and Jimbob in particular, we all came to the exact same conclussions in diagnosing issues with my cars handeling, it was so helpfull and suprisingly accurate info given by ALL those with first hand experience...

I defy any honest person with experience of more than one tyre to come up with a diferant evaluation of any tyre within reason.

I do agree, there are an awfull lot of variables... doesnt mean we shouldnt try though.

fingers21

• march, cambs
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 31 January 2010, 11:31:44 »

I fitted 4 michelins yesterday and compared to the dunlops, they are massively quiet! I can barely hear them turning, much better and so far, they seem to grip better to, haven't had them in the wet yet. Not sure how much they retail at the, i got them at a huge discount price of £200 for 4.

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
  • If there's a 'system' - play it ... !
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 31 January 2010, 11:41:45 »

I fitted 4 michelins yesterday and compared to the dunlops, they are massively quiet! I can barely hear them turning, much better and so far, they seem to grip better to, haven't had them in the wet yet. Not sure how much they retail at the, i got them at a huge discount price of £200 for 4.

Well done fella - brilliant discount there!
Gettin' seriously hacked-off by those who ignore the wisdom of proven experience ... and Forum guidelines.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 31 January 2010, 11:47:52 »

This post precisely points to why their is no clear cut recommendation to tyres - fingers21 rates his Michelins, and obviously suit his needs well.  I can't stand the bloody things, to the point of removing them and binning long before they are worn.
Grumpy old man

feeutfo

« Reply #14 on: 31 January 2010, 11:55:38 »

I fitted 4 michelins yesterday and compared to the dunlops, they are massively quiet! I can barely hear them turning, much better and so far, they seem to grip better to, haven't had them in the wet yet. Not sure how much
 they retail at the,i got them at a huge discount price of £200 for 4.
This post precisely points to why their is no clear cut recommendation to tyres - fingers21 rates his Michelins, and obviously suit his needs well.  I can't stand the bloody things, to the point of removing them and binning long before they are worn.
He needs to state what he's comparing them to, some sort of Wanli mis match iirc, in which case they will feel like heaven on earth in comparison

dam, re read, he did, cunfused with another post
« Last Edit: 31 January 2010, 11:57:18 by chrisgixer »
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.