Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cylinder Head refitting  (Read 930 times)

ScottieMV6

• Omega Knight
  • Swinton, Manchester
    • View Profile
Cylinder Head refitting
« on: 28 February 2010, 16:00:52 »

Everything is now cleaned up and I am ready to refit the heads back on the car. Couple of questions before I do though

I have taken the breather box off to clean - does it need a gasket when refitting or is it just sealant? If sealant which one - will the grey oil cooler sealant suffice?

Should there be 1 or 2 of the locator pegs on each head? I only seem to have one on each and I wondered if perhaps someone had been there before me and not done a proper job?

Also I wasn't sure whether I had the engine at 60 degrees before TDC when I took it apart (i thought it might have been 180 degrees out). Can anyone tell from this photo (please note this is the engine before I cleaned it up - it is clean now). Cylinders 1,3,4 and 6 are all near the top and cylinders 2 and 5 are near the bottom.

« Last Edit: 28 February 2010, 16:02:26 by scottie7275 »
I'd rather be scared to death than bored to death!!

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
Re: Cylinder Head refitting
« Reply #1 on: 28 February 2010, 16:04:04 »

Just sealent on the breather box...

With ref to engine position - the crank sprocket mark needs to be at 4pm. you wil note on each side that 1 piston will be a fair way down, and the 2 adjacent to it will be level to each other near the top, but far away enough for valve clearance  :y

Bolt heads on with engine in this position - fit cams - align cams correctly - then turn engine to TDC to fit the belt  :y

ScottieMV6

• Omega Knight
  • Swinton, Manchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 February 2010, 16:07:44 »

With ref to engine position - the crank sprocket mark needs to be at 4pm. you wil note on each side that 1 piston will be a fair way down, and the 2 adjacent to it will be level to each other near the top, but far away enough for valve clearance  :y

Bolt heads on with engine in this position - fit cams - align cams correctly - then turn engine to TDC to fit the belt  :y

Thanks James. Thats exactly what I have!

So once bolted on I align cams with the markings on the rear cam cover and then lock them, turn crank to TDC and then fit the belt?

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 February 2010, 16:10:52 »

Thanks James. Thats exactly what I have!

So once bolted on I align cams with the markings on the rear cam cover and then lock them, turn crank to TDC and then fit the belt?

Yep that's the one! If you can, make sure the pulleys are lined up using the timing measuing gauge, rather than the rear  cover markings.

I'm sure I'm teaching you to suck eggs.... but the keyways on the pulleys are marked, starting at no1 drivers side exhaust cam - no 2 for drivers inlet cam, no 3 for pasenger inlet cam and no 4 for passenger exhaust cam

Also make sure the Cams go back in the right places - A cams are exhaust, G are inlet, assuming it's a 3.0...  :y

ScottieMV6

• Omega Knight
  • Swinton, Manchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 February 2010, 16:13:26 »

New to this so not teaching me to suck eggs at all - all advice much appreciated.

When I took the cams off I put the pulleys back on them so i knew where each one went!

Thanks again :y
« Last Edit: 28 February 2010, 16:14:17 by scottie7275 »

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 February 2010, 16:17:42 »

A quick check is to wind the crank 60 degrees clockwise (using a spanner on the crank pulley bolt) which should leave piston no1 at the top of it's barrel & then wind it back again (anticlockwise) 60 degrees. It doesn't actually do anything towards reassembling the engine but it will demonstrate that the crank is 60 degrees before TDC not after.

With the heads off you can't damage any valves or upset the cambelt by winding the engine backwards and the extra reassurance makes it worthwhile for us mere mortals who only do a head gasket every 10 years or so ;)
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Abiton

« Reply #6 on: 28 February 2010, 16:28:46 »

With regard to locating pegs, I can see one still in the block... ;)

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
  • Jammie smells of Pooh....
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 February 2010, 16:30:23 »

two locating pegs one could still be in the head whilst the other is in the block.

I would be giving the engine a little bit more of a clean being honest Scott :y
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

ScottieMV6

• Omega Knight
  • Swinton, Manchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 February 2010, 16:56:17 »

two locating pegs one could still be in the head whilst the other is in the block.

I would be giving the engine a little bit more of a clean being honest Scott :y

That picture is before I cleaned it up Daz if that is what you are going off? Even I know that it needs to be cleaner than that :P :P :P

I am pretty sure that there is only one peg in each side though (I will check again tomorrow). Can they be bought from stealers? :y

Abiton

« Reply #9 on: 28 February 2010, 17:15:20 »

If you've got one peg in each head, and one in the bottom LH corner of your photo in the block, you're only missing one, which is possibly on the ground under the engine bay.

ScottieMV6

• Omega Knight
  • Swinton, Manchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 February 2010, 17:19:22 »

If you've got one peg in each head, and one in the bottom LH corner of your photo in the block, you're only missing one, which is possibly on the ground under the engine bay.

Don't think there is one in the head that corresponds to the one in the block  :-/ :-/

I am going to check thoroughly tomorrow though :y
« Last Edit: 28 February 2010, 17:20:02 by scottie7275 »

Martin_1962

« Reply #11 on: 28 February 2010, 21:02:35 »

I had one missing - never there in the first place! :o :o
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 22 queries.