Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Windscreen Trim Problem  (Read 1518 times)

LEE224

• View Profile
Windscreen Trim Problem
« on: 27 February 2010, 20:02:28 »

Hi, The black plastic trim around my windscreen has come loose, and at about 50mph, the drivers side trim comes out and hits the drivers door window. Does anybody know if I can have a new plastic trim fitted, or is this a more serious problem. This is on a 1999 car. Any advise would be great. Thanks

dbr

• Intermediate Member
  • north east.
    • 1997. 2.5CD petrol
    • View Profile
Re: Windscreen Trim Problem
« Reply #1 on: 27 February 2010, 20:17:46 »

mine came adrift also on drivers side while I was on holiday in Spain. I kept taping it up thinking It was serious. Take it off and get a new one. Think ours from autoglass.  Its just cosmetic.
They might need to order it
« Last Edit: 27 February 2010, 20:30:34 by dbr »

LEE224

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 February 2010, 20:22:12 »

Ok, Thanks, does it come in 1 peice that fits the whole windscreen, and any idea of the cost. Is it easy to fit, or is this a garage job?  Thanks

dbr

• Intermediate Member
  • north east.
    • 1997. 2.5CD petrol
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 February 2010, 20:28:20 »

Ok, Thanks, does it come in 1 peice that fits the whole windscreen, and any idea of the cost. Is it easy to fit, or is this a garage job?  Thanks
Yes, one piece.
Sorry can't remember the cost, but it was done at a windscreen place and took ' seconds '. I don't think it was expensive as I remember being annoyed that I had tried to save it and had to drive slowly for 1500 miles.

LEE224

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 February 2010, 20:39:10 »

Ok, Thanks, now I'm not so worried its going to be a big job, or even new windscreen. Thanks for your comments.

dbr

• Intermediate Member
  • north east.
    • 1997. 2.5CD petrol
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 February 2010, 20:42:57 »

Ok, Thanks, now I'm not so worried its going to be a big job, or even new windscreen. Thanks for your comments.
Yes I was worried, particularly being so far from home and with little knowledge of the problem at the time. try different places and post the price.
Dave

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 February 2010, 21:58:04 »

Have you had a new Windscreen within the last couple of years? I had the same problem and called the company who had replaced the screen... It was under warranty for 2(?) years and they came out after 16th months and replaced the whole screen because the bits it clips into were worn... The guy was good and replaced the whole screen for me, telling the office it was deformed :y :y :y
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

johnnybbad

• chester
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 February 2010, 22:30:35 »

Being a windscreen fitter i can help here :)

The trim you refer to is the outer part and clicks into a three piece ( top and two sides ) inner trim which is attached to your screen.

When the screen is originally fitted the trims are all clicked together then the whole thing is bonded in.

You should be able to just 'click' in a new outer trim with care, remember dont bang it in as you may cause the screen to crack.

There may be underlying problems though, why has the trim come out ? is it because the inner trim it clicks into has become enlarged so it will not stay in ?

Any questions post it up here or pm me

John

dbr

• Intermediate Member
  • north east.
    • 1997. 2.5CD petrol
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 February 2010, 22:39:59 »

The trim you refer to is the outer part and clicks into a three piece ( top and two sides ) inner trim which is attached to your screen.

When the screen is originally fitted the trims are all clicked together then the whole thing is bonded in.

You should be able to just 'click' in a new outer trim with care, remember dont bang it in as you may cause the screen to crack.

There may be underlying problems though, why has the trim come out ? is it because the inner trim it clicks into has become enlarged so it will not stay in ?

John
Hi John,
Would it be possible to use the building trades main repair tool on this problem.....silicone?    what does it cost?
Dave
« Last Edit: 27 February 2010, 22:43:17 by dbr »

johnnybbad

• chester
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 February 2010, 22:48:19 »

John
Hi John,
Would it be possible to use the building trades main repair tool on this problem.....silicone?    what does it cost?
Dave

Hi Dave, i wouldnt go anywhere near a windscreen with silicone, best thing to use would be a polyeurathane adhesive or something like tiger seal, you could put a thin sliver of it in the inner trim then push the outer trim into it and tape it down for a couple of hours.

dbr

• Intermediate Member
  • north east.
    • 1997. 2.5CD petrol
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 February 2010, 23:16:34 »

John
Hi John,
Dave

Hi Dave, i wouldnt go anywhere near a windscreen with silicone, best thing to use would be a polyeurathane adhesive or something like tiger seal, you could put a thin sliver of it in the inner trim then push the outer trim into it and tape it down for a couple of hours.
Thanks for the honest answer.
A couple of years ago the windscreen needed replacing because it was damaged by an object as I was driving up the a1, it was changed but the replacement lasted 2/3 days before cracking. Free replacement. this was optically flawed. Free replacement. A friend had the same problems with his replacement screens. Is this common?

johnnybbad

• chester
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 February 2010, 23:53:02 »

John
Hi John,
Dave

A couple of years ago the windscreen needed replacing because it was damaged by an object as I was driving up the a1, it was changed but the replacement lasted 2/3 days before cracking. Free replacement. this was optically flawed. Free replacement. A friend had the same problems with his replacement screens. Is this common?

You do get the odd one stress cracking for no reason, but not many optically flawed

dbr

• Intermediate Member
  • north east.
    • 1997. 2.5CD petrol
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27 February 2010, 23:57:08 »

John
Hi John,
Dave

You do get the odd one stress cracking for no reason, but not many optically flawed
wondered if some national companies were trying to fit inferior quality parts

pedroMV6

• Omega Knight
  • York
  • Der Metzgermeister
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 28 February 2010, 10:14:34 »

Our Elite had a screen about three years ago - done by RAC AutoWindscreens.

Poor - trim in corners soon popped out, they didn't really want to know when we complained.
Our lass works at a firm of solicitors, so sent a letter on their headed paper (with full permission, naturally) and they agreed to repair the trim.

Came loose again after a few days - re-repaired.

Came loose again after a few days - seriously couldn't be bothered again.

Also, I since found out that they use pattern screens (RAC AW make their own ) - but I think that this is common practice throughout the 'screen industry.
« Last Edit: 28 February 2010, 10:16:50 by PedroMV6 »
Loving the Vectra C 2.2 diesel!

johnnybbad

• chester
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 28 February 2010, 16:49:35 »

Our Elite had a screen about three years ago - done by RAC AutoWindscreens.

Poor - trim in corners soon popped out, they didn't really want to know when we complained.
Our lass works at a firm of solicitors, so sent a letter on their headed paper (with full permission, naturally) and they agreed to repair the trim.

Came loose again after a few days - re-repaired.

Came loose again after a few days - seriously couldn't be bothered again.

Also, I since found out that they use pattern screens (RAC AW make their own ) - but I think that this is common practice throughout the 'screen industry.

Hi Pedro,

I work for Autowindscreens ( Formally RAC Autowindscreens ) and yes you are right a lot of screen companies now use / make their own glass, unfortunatly they have to due to prices etc. Some insurance companies are on a fixed price for glass ( ie they pay lets say £120 whatever is replaced ) so the glass companies have to source cheapish glass to make a profit !

All i would say is if you need a screen doing through your insurance, then ask for oem / dealer glass, the insurance company cannot deny you this as your insurance is probably based on a like for like replacement.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 21 queries.