Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Engine temp and idle speed with aircon  (Read 489 times)

andy72

• Newcastle
    • View Profile
Engine temp and idle speed with aircon
« on: 09 March 2010, 19:42:22 »

Is this normal?

My v6 wasn't getting up to temp (75). I presumed thermostat so have bought one ready to fit. Then today I ran the car in Eco mode and it sat perfectly at 90 with big fans kicking in at just under 100. When I switch Eco off, a small fan starts and brings engine temp right down to 75 and fan stays on.

Also with Eco on idle speed is a nad under 500rpm, with aircon on it raises idle speed to just over 500 rpm which feels less lumpy

is all this normal?

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
Re: Engine temp and idle speed with aircon
« Reply #1 on: 09 March 2010, 19:48:15 »

Yup .. aircon on .. fan runs and idle speed slightly increased to run the compressor.

ECO selected aircon is effectively OFF and no fans run.

With no fans running the system will heat up regardless of the thermostat being open .. eventually .. but it will NOT control at any temperature.

Your stat is stuck open ... you can prove this easily .. start engine from cold and alow to idle. Stand with your hand on the top pipe, you'll feel it slowly but steadily warm up as the stat is stuck open.

It should stay cold until a sudden surge of warmth as the stat opens once the engine is on temp

HTH

« Last Edit: 09 March 2010, 19:48:47 by entwood »

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
Re: Engine temp and idle speed with aircon
« Reply #2 on: 10 March 2010, 07:39:58 »

I have found similar situation. I ran engine from cold and checked hose temps The small hoses heater ? and return to header tank warming up quite quickly . top hose to rad cold   then at about 72 on gauge top hose to rad stated warming up  Does this indicate that the stat is ok?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 21 queries.