Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Headgasket - No change at all!! Now with Videos!  (Read 3860 times)

ScottieMV6

• Omega Knight
  • Swinton, Manchester
    • View Profile
Headgasket - No change at all!! Now with Videos!
« on: 19 March 2010, 17:44:46 »

Finally finished the headgasket work on my car today and started her up only to find it has made absolutely no difference whatsoever. >:( >:(

For those that don't remember the original problems were clouds of white smoke and misfire. Compression test showed 15 bar on all cylinders with the exception of no. 6 which showed 19 bar. Took the heads off to find this

which pretty much confirmed head gasket was the problem.

I have replaced both head gaskets, stem oil seals etc and put everything back together after making sure everything was spotlessly clean and I still have clouds of white smoke and a misfire. I have only left it running 5 mins but the smoke started after about 2 or 3 mins and then just got worse.

Any suggestions? :-/ :-/
« Last Edit: 20 March 2010, 16:48:38 by scottie7275 »
I'd rather be scared to death than bored to death!!

guncharmer

• York
    • View Profile
Re: Headgasket - No change at all!!
« Reply #1 on: 19 March 2010, 18:25:12 »

I would be suspecting the cylinder head or heads themselves,did you have them skimmed or tested.

Abiton

« Reply #2 on: 19 March 2010, 19:00:37 »

Couldn't this just be a load of condensed coolant within the exhaust system from when it was last running with the fault,  evaporating off?

alank46

• Intermediate Member
  • South Devon
    • 3L Elite Estate 1996
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 March 2010, 19:41:52 »

Hi
White smoke (if it really was white smoke) is usually caused by brake fluid sucked into the inlet manifold from the servo.  It gets in the servo from a leak in the master cyl.  Is your brake fluid going down.

Or as suggested above its condensation in the exhaust.  I started up one of my cars that had lain idle for a while and filled up the courtyard we live in with white smoke/steam, you could hardly see across the courtyard.  I was ordered to shut it off by SWMBO.  It was only condensation.
Alan

Finally finished the headgasket work on my car today and started her up only to find it has made absolutely no difference whatsoever. >:( >:(

For those that don't remember the original problems were clouds of white smoke and misfire. Compression test showed 15 bar on all cylinders with the exception of no. 6 which showed 19 bar. Took the heads off to find this

which pretty much confirmed head gasket was the problem.

I have replaced both head gaskets, stem oil seals etc and put everything back together after making sure everything was spotlessly clean and I still have clouds of white smoke and a misfire. I have only left it running 5 mins but the smoke started after about 2 or 3 mins and then just got worse.

Any suggestions? :-/ :-/
Elite now gone.  Bought an X-Type 4x4.  If there had been an Omega 4x4 I would have bought that instead.  We really liked the Omega, but I wanted 4x4.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 March 2010, 20:14:03 »

Well, judging by the state of the head gaskets you haven't wasted your time.

The need for skimming and porosity of heads is very rare on this engine. Not impossible, of course, but for the symptoms to be totally unchanged I think a bit of detective work is required.

Removing and blocking the feed to the master cylinder and giving it a run will eliminate brake fluid.

Then on to the misfire. If the compressions are good no cylinder should be misfiring so plugs, leads, coil pack and, perhaps, fuel injectors come under scrutiny. Did all the leads go back on in the right places? Any excessively wet plugs after a few minutes running?

Any trouble codes from the ECU? All connections back where they should be following the rebuild?

Don't give up after all this work. It must be something simple now.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Bent valve

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 March 2010, 20:26:37 »

Is this the car that had the corroded heads?

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
  • Jammie smells of Pooh....
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 March 2010, 20:29:55 »

Are you sure you put everything back right?
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 March 2010, 22:09:53 »

Plus leads fitted to the dis correctly?

ScottieMV6

• Omega Knight
  • Swinton, Manchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 March 2010, 11:01:24 »

I would be suspecting the cylinder head or heads themselves,did you have them skimmed or tested.

That was my first thought and if so I need to think about whether I can justify the expense or whether I should just break it and get another one?

Couldn't this just be a load of condensed coolant within the exhaust system from when it was last running with the fault,  evaporating off?

I would say that there was far too much smoke for it to be this :'(

Removing and blocking the feed to the master cylinder and giving it a run will eliminate brake fluid

Assume I would have to block off both the end of the servo pipe and the resulting hole in the plenum so that the vacuum pipes still work?

Then on to the misfire. If the compressions are good no cylinder should be misfiring so plugs, leads, coil pack and, perhaps, fuel injectors come under scrutiny. Did all the leads go back on in the right places? Any excessively wet plugs after a few minutes running?

Any trouble codes from the ECU? All connections back where they should be following the rebuild?

I will need to double check all of this starting with compressions. I am fairly sure all the leads went back in the right place though ::)

Is this the car that had the corroded heads?

Yes it is. What is your thinking? :y

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 March 2010, 13:00:09 »

Auto-box breather connected to plenum by mistake?

After a rebuild it is quite normal for oil and grease used during assembly to burn off or get burnt in the engine. It only takes a few drops of oil to create a smoke screen.

There is a chance that the advice that experienced OOFers gave you about the corrosion, from photographs, would have been different if they had been able to see the heads in the metal but the photographs I saw didn't have any corrosion damage in the critical areas.

HTH
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 March 2010, 13:03:50 »

Assume I would have to block off both the end of the servo pipe and the resulting hole in the plenum so that the vacuum pipes still work?

For a quick check it doesn't really matter if the heater and multi-ram flaps don't work so I would just undo the nut at the plenum and plug the hole with anything that fits.
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

ScottieMV6

• Omega Knight
  • Swinton, Manchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 March 2010, 15:52:43 »

Auto-box breather connected to plenum by mistake?

After a rebuild it is quite normal for oil and grease used during assembly to burn off or get burnt in the engine. It only takes a few drops of oil to create a smoke screen.

There is a chance that the advice that experienced OOFers gave you about the corrosion, from photographs, would have been different if they had been able to see the heads in the metal but the photographs I saw didn't have any corrosion damage in the critical areas.

HTH

Manual box so not that! Grease etc being burnt off as you say is normal but it is definitely not that.

I think I might go and take a video of the smoke to give a better idea :y

ScottieMV6

• Omega Knight
  • Swinton, Manchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 March 2010, 16:41:38 »

Hopefully these videos might help confirm the symptoms.

This first one was taken immediately after start up
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUmcbqp6J6Y[/media]

This second one was taken about 2 minutes after the first one
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6517id5nj7g[/media]

What I find interesting is the smoke only comes out of 1 side of the exhaust :-/

In between the 2 videos I did a paperclip test and the only code was 46 which the car had before all this work so is not a major concern right now. :y
« Last Edit: 20 March 2010, 16:42:32 by scottie7275 »

ferrari jason

• Skelmersdale
    • View Profile
Re: Headgasket - No change at all!! Now with Videos!
« Reply #13 on: 20 March 2010, 17:03:26 »

cant tell from video but looks like condensation is the smoke vanishing soon after if so its just the moisture in the exhaust from when the gasket went . If you look at the 2nd video one of the tailpipes is clear and seems to be pumping out normal gases i`d say 90% that its just water vapour fingers crossed
« Last Edit: 20 March 2010, 17:05:58 by roverjason »

Kaycee

• Intermediate Member
  • Doncaster
    • View Profile
Re: Headgasket - No change at all!! Now with Videos!
« Reply #14 on: 20 March 2010, 17:16:07 »

Hope i am wrong Scottie but that first video looks like oil smoke the second looks like condensation  get it up to temperature and see if it still same could just be old oil etc lying around in the manifold etc
good luck mate
There is a tide in the affairs of man if taken at the flood will lead on to greater things
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 21 queries.