Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Engine/gearbox 'Hunting' Elite 2.5 Auto  (Read 1058 times)

Budgie

• Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
Engine/gearbox 'Hunting' Elite 2.5 Auto
« on: 04 March 2010, 22:17:24 »

I run a 2000 (X Reg) 2.5 Elite Auto 4 speed Facelift.
I am experiencing what I can only describe as 'hunting' (similar to a misfire under load) when the auto box changes from 3-4 and even when in 4. This seems to be when accelerating normally at speeds between 50 and 60mph. I noticed that in the post "Gearbox ECU Update Experiences" 'Lazydocker' had posted the following experience he had which I believe was related to an ECU (V9) upgrade: -
1999 3 Litre Elite...

Updated by Kevin Wood sometime early last year (or was it longer ago than that  )

Anyway... Whole drive is a much more pleasant experience. Changes are far more positive and it doesn't hunt between 3/4 gear when cruising at 50ish as much.

Downside: When towing the van it will kick down more readily than before and hold 3rd (which is great) but is more reluctant to change back to 4th if on the slightest incline... Incidentally, if you turn the cruise off and use your foot on the pedal this is easy to overcome.

Is what I am experiencing related do you think - and how do I go about checking which version of ECU firmware I have and updating it?
Many thanks
I spend far too much money on my Omega

Bumbazor

• Worksop
    • View Profile
Re: Engine/gearbox 'Hunting' Elite 2.5 Auto
« Reply #1 on: 04 March 2010, 22:29:02 »

You will need a Tech2 to check and upgrade the version of software in the gearbox ecu. Yours and Lazydocker's problems do sound similar, and I myself have similar symptoms sometimes.

You'll need to hook up with TheBoy or similar to use the Tech2. I know MarksDTM is the closest to me, in Nottinghamshire, but I'm not sure if there are any closer to you in Lincolnshire.

You should resize your avatar; it is overlapping other areas of text. Maximum size is 110x110.
« Last Edit: 04 March 2010, 22:31:18 by Bumbazor »
To do: Replace brake discs and pads; adjust already replaced shoes; check for leaks in oil cooler, cambelt area, crank seals, sump, dipstick; replace osf door; replace a tyre; clean, MOT.

Budgie

• Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 March 2010, 22:46:34 »

You will need a Tech2 to check and upgrade the version of software in the gearbox ecu. Yours and Lazydocker's problems do sound similar, and I myself have similar symptoms sometimes.

You'll need to hook up with TheBoy or similar to use the Tech2. I know MarksDTM is the closest to me, in Nottinghamshire, but I'm not sure if there are any closer to you in Lincolnshire.

You should resize your avatar; it is overlapping other areas of text. Maximum size is 110x110.

Hi,

Many thanks for the info it's appreciated.
The Avatar is big isn't it - I'll get on it  :y

Budgie

• Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 March 2010, 12:22:06 »

I run a 2000 (X Reg) 2.5 Elite Auto 4 speed Facelift.
I am experiencing what I can only describe as 'hunting' (similar to a misfire under load) when the auto box changes from 3-4 and even when in 4. This seems to be when accelerating normally at speeds between 50 and 60mph. I noticed that in the post "Gearbox ECU Update Experiences" 'Lazydocker' had posted the following experience he had which I believe was related to an ECU (V9) upgrade: -
1999 3 Litre Elite...

Updated by Kevin Wood sometime early last year (or was it longer ago than that  )

Anyway... Whole drive is a much more pleasant experience. Changes are far more positive and it doesn't hunt between 3/4 gear when cruising at 50ish as much.

Downside: When towing the van it will kick down more readily than before and hold 3rd (which is great) but is more reluctant to change back to 4th if on the slightest incline... Incidentally, if you turn the cruise off and use your foot on the pedal this is easy to overcome.

Is what I am experiencing related do you think - and how do I go about checking which version of ECU firmware I have and updating it?
Many thanks

Hi,

Just thought I'd post the conclusion to this problem. The symptom worsened since the first post so took it to my local GM repair agent (Troops of Leadenham). They diagnosed a faulty Coil Pack and #5 HT Lead. Unfortunately the Coil Pack (after market version) had only been fitted last October so was somewhat surprised.  :o
To cut a long story short I got Troops to stick a genuine GM one on and they threw in a second hand #5 HT lead. They charged me £180 for the Coil Pack and circa £90 labour (+ VAT of course) >:(
On the upside the suppliers of the after market Coil Pack (JRBK.TRADING) gave me a full refund and were very helpful and apologetic. :y

However I do need to locate a good repair man in my area (I am based in Wellingore, Lincoln) armed with a Tech2 that might consider looking after my Omega for all but regular service work (cos' Troops stamp my service book).
I currently have problems with my door locks - i.e. my passenger side front door plunger doesn't go down or up (well sometimes it does) when using either the key or RC.
« Last Edit: 16 March 2010, 19:16:21 by Budgie »

Welung666

« Reply #4 on: 16 March 2010, 19:02:27 »

I get up to Lincoln fairly regularly.

Budgie

• Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 March 2010, 18:39:06 »

Hiya! - are you offering your services Sir :question
« Last Edit: 17 March 2010, 18:41:31 by Budgie »

Welung666

« Reply #6 on: 17 March 2010, 21:41:35 »

Hiya! - are you offering your services Sir :question

I may well be ;D Depends how desperate you are though, not due back up for another couple of weeks.

EDIT: I'll bring up the "My Naff Code Reader" when I do anyway :y
« Last Edit: 17 March 2010, 21:42:26 by Welung666 »

Hovelite

• Sussex Coast
  • always look on the bright side of life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 March 2010, 22:59:38 »

I currently have problems with my door locks - i.e. my passenger side front door plunger doesn't go down or up (well sometimes it does) when using either the key or RC.

I had the same problem with the same motor.  Not very hi-tech, but a few shots of WD did the trick without lifting a spanner....
She passed the MOT!

Budgie

• Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 March 2010, 14:36:11 »

I had the same problem with the same motor.  Not very hi-tech, but a few shots of WD did the trick without lifting a spanner....

Hiya!
Exactly where/how did you apply the WD40 - does it involve removal of the door cards?

Cheers!

Hovelite

• Sussex Coast
  • always look on the bright side of life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 April 2010, 20:36:02 »

sorry for delay in reply, been on hols.
just down side of knob and wherever I could into the mechanism on the end of the door.  Also round handle for good measure....
She passed the MOT!

Budgie

• Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 April 2010, 20:45:03 »

sorry for delay in reply, been on hols.
just down side of knob and wherever I could into the mechanism on the end of the door.  Also round handle for good measure....

Hiya! no probs and thanks for the reply. I have since found out that the lock motor is lacking power (took it apart and tested it without being connected to door lock mechanism) so actively seeking a replacement. Vauxhall want £75   :-[
Thanks again

Brian
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.