Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... 42   Go Down

Author Topic: Engine noise, terminal?  (Read 62859 times)

feeutfo

Re: Engine noise, terminal?
« Reply #210 on: 10 March 2010, 14:24:37 »

seems the borescope thing aint happening, unfortunately, keeps saying he'll "bring it in tomorrow" which obviously leaves no time now even if he does remember.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: 10 March 2010, 14:27:31 »

seems the borescope thing aint happening, unfortunately, keeps saying he'll "bring it in tomorrow" which obviously leaves no time now even if he does remember.

Never mind. Thanks for trying. :y

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

feeutfo

« Reply #212 on: 10 March 2010, 17:31:29 »

Kevin
its a shame, would have been good to play with, 4k worth apparently, :o and nose around the bores. In reality though, not much we could do if we found something anyway i guess.

On the one hand i'm desperate to know whats up with it, and on the other i'm not sure i whant to know at all. AAAAAAAAH! :-/

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: 10 March 2010, 18:05:11 »

Kevin
its a shame, would have been good to play with, 4k worth apparently, :o and nose around the bores. In reality though, not much we could do if we found something anyway i guess.

On the one hand i'm desperate to know whats up with it, and on the other i'm not sure i whant to know at all. AAAAAAAAH! :-/
I'm sure MDTM will find the reason for the noise.  I just hope the subsequent rebuilding is economically viable, as I am **REALLY* missing that car  :'(
Grumpy old man

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: 10 March 2010, 20:44:43 »

Would Mark be able to measure the oil pressure?

On the sound recording I listened to I could hear wheezing and dry tappets. The chaffed vacuum hose explains the wheezing. Maybe poor oil pressure would account for the tappets?
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: 10 March 2010, 20:48:49 »

On the sound recording I listened to I could hear wheezing and dry tappets. The chaffed vacuum hose explains the wheezing. Maybe poor oil pressure would account for the tappets?

But why... They didn't do anything in that area and it ran sweet as a nut before hand :-/ :-/ I know, because I've driven it and it drives drove like a car with about 40k on the clock
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: 10 March 2010, 21:14:23 »

seems to be a good coating of oil on cams etc, both banks
Grumpy old man

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: 10 March 2010, 21:34:23 »

But why... They didn't do anything in that area and it ran sweet as a nut before hand :-/ :-/ I know, because I've driven it and it drives drove like a car with about 40k on the clock
Coincidences do happen.....

The most frustrating problem solving excercises I have experienced have been the result of not checking something simple because I knew it couldn't be wrong. >:(

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: 10 March 2010, 21:37:32 »

I may be wrong but I think the lifters need pressure to pump them up.  :-/

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: 10 March 2010, 21:39:55 »

Yup.  But then Kevin Wood has checked the lifters, and all on drivers side appear to be fine
Grumpy old man

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: 10 March 2010, 22:08:37 »

Yup.  But then Kevin Wood has checked the lifters, and all on drivers side appear to be fine
By 'fine' do you mean undamaged or quiet?

My thinking is that something random has happened (such as the pressure relief valve in the oil pump sticking open for example) that allows oil circulation to continue (keeping crank bearings and camshafts lubricated) but not creating enough pressure to make the lifters go quiet.

I admit to clutching at straws but Kevin has already swapped all the gas related components and measuring the oil pressure wouldn't require stripping the engine.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: 10 March 2010, 22:30:00 »

I admit to clutching at straws but Kevin has already swapped all the gas related components and measuring the oil pressure wouldn't require stripping the engine.

Judging by the amount of oil that appeared around the cams with just a little cranking there's not much wrong with the oil system. The sound isn't consistent with oil starvation where we would have every lifter complaining IMHO.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

feeutfo

« Reply #222 on: 10 March 2010, 23:40:14 »

Coincidences do happen.....

The most frustrating problem solving excercises I have experienced have been the result of not checking something simple because I knew it couldn't be wrong. >:(
we came round to that way of thinking after eliminating the lpg related stuff, and is why we removed the cam cover to check the lifters, all tight to the cam lobes at the lowest point, there was a pool of oil sitting nicely round the cam lobes/lifters, all cam cap bolts tight.
 Other thoughts where to check cam timing, again not touched by anyone, but if the valves where striking piston would it run as well as it was? (changed my oil today and noted my engine vibrates more than TB's does with this noise presant iirc)

FOD in the cylinder, only way this could still be possible is if it hadnt damaged a valve i guess? ie something small enough to sit between exhaust valves on the tilted lowest side of the bore and wedge itself in piston crown or head squish area making the piston rock at tdc. Kevin had full compression and no plug damage though so... :-/ .....lets hope Mark can finds a cost effective answer.

2woody

• Omega Baron
  • Northumberland
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: 11 March 2010, 11:03:17 »

did my coils and leads go with it ?

feeutfo

« Reply #224 on: 11 March 2010, 12:57:48 »

did my coils and leads go with it ?

leads are currently fitted afaik? didnt fit coil pack.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... 42   Go Up

Page created in 0.013 seconds with 17 queries.