Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Info on V8 fitting....  (Read 3126 times)

soupdragon44

• stevenage
    • View Profile
Info on V8 fitting....
« on: 06 May 2010, 08:37:50 »

I assume it's been done but has anyone got info on fitting GM V8 to an Omega B, have a 2.0 auto so would the box fit? Axle ratios etc etc..... :)

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
Re: Info on V8 fitting....
« Reply #1 on: 06 May 2010, 08:40:29 »

Why would you want to spend ££££££££££££ on a car worth a few hundred £s :-?
Retired

2woody

• Omega Baron
  • Northumberland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 May 2010, 08:48:10 »

whereabouts are you ? - want me to cruise past in the Holden ? - it's basically the same car.

fitting a V8 is likely to give you problems with steering box clearance mostly - the Aussies fixed this by moving to a steering rack.

and then there's all the other stuff required to make it safe :-

a PROPER brake package, gearbox, diff and suspension improvements.

Budget on £4K for an engine/box combination and about the same for the rest.

and no, there are no V8s that would fit to the current auto box, but then again I can't for the life of me understand why you'd want to keep an auto anyway ?
« Last Edit: 06 May 2010, 08:49:13 by 1417_stuart_grange »

Sixstring

• Omega Baron
  • Lydney, Gloucestershire
  • Its just GOTTA be a big V6. Mmm....NOS........
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 May 2010, 09:51:23 »

A good friend of mine fitted a ROVER 4.6 V8 into his, but spent £3k getting the brakes, suspension, gearbox etc to fit/run/work properly, and then was gobsmacked when his insurance company told him how much they wanted (plus an engineers report) to insure it. Good effort/idea/proposal, but extremely expensive for little real gain. what about doing something good with your 2.0 like TURBO or supercharge??

done properly, the insurance companies are better moved to insure it than what they consider is a "non standard" engine swap, however good/proffessional it is.
My buddy was quoted £1500 for fully comp on his, and he's 52 and has a clean licence, and he's a motor engineer by trade!!
Self confessed Electro-Mechanical nut, Guitarist/Singer and Motorcyclist. Drives an estate due to all the equipment he has to carry,Electrickery fiddler who loves Automatics and BIG Vee engines.

soupdragon44

• stevenage
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 May 2010, 17:01:55 »

elite pete... why do any of us spend money on cars? 'caues they give us pleasure and it's called a hobby!!
woody....cheers, i have full access to proffesional workshop equipment and help but does seem an awefull lot of work, so will leave it well alone.
There was a chap on ebay selling a MK1 Carlton/Holden estate with a factory fitted V8 that needed little work and got no bids and was only £350, trouble is it was on the Isle of White. that's what gave the idea......

Pitchfork

• Omega Baron
  • Tadley (near Basingrad)
  • Barndances & Morris
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 May 2010, 18:35:50 »

elite pete... why do any of us spend money on cars? 'caues they give us pleasure and it's called a hobby!!
woody....cheers, i have full access to proffesional workshop equipment and help but does seem an awefull lot of work, so will leave it well alone.
There was a chap on ebay selling a MK1 Carlton/Holden estate with a factory fitted V8 that needed little work and got no bids and was only £350, trouble is it was on the Isle of White. that's what gave the idea......
You can float it across from the Isle of Wight ;)
Almost famous!   www.pitchforkband.co.uk Guitar & PA Amps repaired & serviced
Ears pierced while you wait. PAT & Valve testing

KW

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 May 2010, 22:04:20 »

I assume it's been done but has anyone got info on fitting GM V8 to an Omega B, have a 2.0 auto so would the box fit? Axle ratios etc etc..... :)
Your 2 litre box isn't going to withstand what a V8 can output.
As far as fitting a V8 goes, South African MIG's have the Corvette 350 cubic inch (that's 5.7 litre in old money) lump as standard.
I know violence isn't the answer, I got it wrong on purpose.

flossbag1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 May 2010, 01:35:59 »

i have actually fitted a 5.7 v8 to my y reg 2.6 mv6, it had a six speed gearbox, think the engine was from a monaro, i know its definitley an LS1 engine and it does go some, had a few confused faces as i blapsed past a couple of sub's, what a great feeling, shes a sleeper to, no new body kit, just lowered with vented and grooved discs at the front and grooved at the back, found myself right up the arss of an rs6 the other week too  :) i think he thought his car was faulty, maybe he took it back the next day and asked for a refund
« Last Edit: 07 May 2010, 01:37:26 by flossbag1 »
lee

MV6Matt

• Omega Knight
  • London
  • Back in Black. Sensible size this time............
    • Meriva 1.6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 May 2010, 08:11:17 »

i found myself right up the arss of an rs6 the other week too  :) i think he thought his car was faulty, maybe he took it back the next day and asked for a refund

...................just the sort of thing that makes it all worth while - I think I'd have been a bit confused if I was in the RS6!

How difficult was it to put in and did you have to go to a steering rack (like the aussies?)

Any pics of the car?

Yum, Yum 8-) 8-) ::)
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"
(thanks Ian)

GardO71

• Nr Oxford
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 May 2010, 10:17:08 »

i've never done a V8 into an Omega, but i'm sure there would be ways to skirt round the steering box, i would have thought it was the drivers side headers(exhaust manifolds) that would foul the box, although i've never looked tbh as, now, this will get me shot lol, i don't find the omega a worthwhile project, but only by it being 'too modern' for my appeal.

now, give me a nice opel monza and we'll talk lol, but it would have to be something a little bigger than a 350 chevy, something like a 454 big block would be better  :)
« Last Edit: 07 May 2010, 10:18:05 by GardO71 »

2woody

• Omega Baron
  • Northumberland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07 May 2010, 10:18:56 »

now, give me a nice opel monza and we'll talk lol, but it would have to be something a little bigger than a 350 chevy, something like a 454 big block would be better  :)

would you like one ?

I have a GSE without engine/box that could be yours for peanuts

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07 May 2010, 11:21:46 »

It's a tightish fit.

This is a GTO fitted into a 2004 Catera.

Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 07 May 2010, 11:27:18 »

Havent read it, just looked at the pics, early on in the thread you will see the headers, interesting how they have indentations in them to fit the engine in place.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids/778988-ls1-into-cadillac-catera-56k-death.html

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 07 May 2010, 11:29:01 »

This is how we would all like ours to look.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 07 May 2010, 13:09:07 »

there are full specs for 5.7 V8 being fitted, as GM almost produced it, but pulled out at last minute, apparently due to cooling issues  :(  :-/
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 22 queries.