Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2.5td tappet noise  (Read 777 times)

fastcav

• batcave
    • View Profile
2.5td tappet noise
« on: 15 August 2010, 17:25:40 »

Ok so now im just being lazy, but its summer and of course its raining here. My car makes a tappety noise ALL THE TIME  >:( warm or cold. Instincts would lead me to believe that they are hydraulic, what with ze germans being oh so reliable but i just cant bring myself to put on my waterproof bikini and go outside to remove the rocker cover, anybody wanna shed some light on this, also just as a general query, the rocker cover and inlet manifold on my engine both have bmw badges on them, is this normal on an earlier engine? All my time working for vauxhall i only ever saw the inlet manifolds with the badges on them, same in all the ones i have dismantled, could it be my car has had a heart transplant? It does have 207k under its belt :-/

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
Re: 2.5td tappet noise
« Reply #1 on: 15 August 2010, 19:24:05 »

LOL no it hasnt had a transplant theya re all bmw engines to 99ish then vaux fitted its own lump, you have the best one!!!
ok tappets are hydraulic as you thought, when they get noisy really the best way is manual cleaning!! but thats a lot of work!!
other way? assume you are in the trade? if so strongest engine flush you can find then change oil and filter, add hydraulic valve lifter concentrate and take for a fast hard run immediately you put it in, after around 20 miles pull over and listen, it should be a lot quieter!! have had to repeat this twice on two cars but it always works while you are doing this job would be a good idea to get new fuel filter and fill it with diesel magic to clean the injectors!! this wil eliminate a sticky injector causing the noise!! :y

Agemo

• Omega Knight
  • Cleethorpes
  • Insignia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 August 2010, 20:38:16 »

My TD is the BMW lump & it's a 2000 on a "W". Not sure about the use of "strongest engine flush you can find" though. Especially with over 200k on the clock.  ::)
« Last Edit: 15 August 2010, 20:39:08 by Agemo »

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 August 2010, 21:11:03 »

My TD is the BMW lump & it's a 2000 on a "W". Not sure about the use of "strongest engine flush you can find" though. Especially with over 200k on the clock.  ::)

there are quite a few 2000 models around but i did say 99ish?
as for the oil flush, believe me it works very well on these engines, cleans out old gunk from piston cooler jets and hydrauic tappes etc, usually they dont have the oil changed often enugh to prevent clogging of the oil jets, we did TB project with the stuff i get(trade) and it sorted his over heating issues out nicely and i believe the engine is still going strong with the new owner, mileage shouldnt make much difference on a diesel as they are so understressed compared to petrols, when i got mine 5 years ago it had been run on cheap oil for the past 4 years, i flushed it twice!! still have the car 5 years later and no issues and its since done 54k with 3k oil changes !!

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 August 2010, 22:51:41 »

Ok so now im just being lazy, but its summer and of course its raining here. My car makes a tappety noise ALL THE TIME  >:( warm or cold. Instincts would lead me to believe that they are hydraulic, what with ze germans being oh so reliable but i just cant bring myself to put on my waterproof bikini and go outside to remove the rocker cover, anybody wanna shed some light on this, also just as a general query, the rocker cover and inlet manifold on my engine both have bmw badges on them, is this normal on an earlier engine? All my time working for vauxhall i only ever saw the inlet manifolds with the badges on them, same in all the ones i have dismantled, could it be my car has had a heart transplant? It does have 207k under its belt :-/

Mine is a '99 BMW donk, and does not have BMW oin the rocker covers. :-/

Agemo

• Omega Knight
  • Cleethorpes
  • Insignia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 August 2010, 09:28:51 »

Omegatoy thanks for that, I will flush next oil change and try the lifter treatment.  :y

fastcav

• batcave
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 August 2010, 00:09:38 »

Have tried the flush and tappet reatment 3 times to no avail, and ragged the bejaysus out of it up the motorway, going to resort to the old fashioned method that i use on the old forklifts and run hydraulic oil through the engine for 20 mins, not ideal but it can loosen some amount of crap, plus its had 2 doses of slick 50 so itll be grand, noise just doing my head in now, i know its there so i listen for it every time the windows open! On the engine front i ust thought it stange that the rocker cover was marked bmw as well as the inlet manifold, i only ever saw them like that in the 525tds's i used to run, never in an omega, it was usually just on the manifold
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.013 seconds with 17 queries.