Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: GRP Bonnet  (Read 1121 times)

Lesopc

• Intermediate Member
  • West London
  • Worlds Biggest GM Fan
    • View Profile
GRP Bonnet
« on: 07 September 2010, 10:15:31 »

Does anyone know where would be the best place to have a Glass Reinforced Plastic Bonnet made for my facelift miggy as i would like to have one made with a specific design of louvres in? Also any rough prices might help. If specific details are needed then please ask.
Why oh why was there never a V8 Omega????
Such a missed oppurtunity.
Look forward to the Cadillac ATS & ATS-V. Maybe a re-badged one will replace the Miggy as a RWD runner?

Bent valve

• View Profile
Re: GRP Bonnet
« Reply #1 on: 07 September 2010, 18:52:13 »

Try Production Glassfibre. If they cant/wont do it they will put you on to someone who can if you ask nicely.
 sales@productionglassfibre.co.uk
« Last Edit: 07 September 2010, 18:55:19 by Bent_Valve »

2woody

• Omega Baron
  • Northumberland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 September 2010, 19:56:14 »

I've had this sort of thing made in the past. There are two elements - making the mould and making the bonnet from the mould.

making the mould is the expensive part - expect around £1000 for that part.

producing a bonnet would then be not much more than a couple of hundred pounds

unclelicklug

• Intermediate Member
  • Sheffield
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 September 2010, 20:01:06 »

Second the above - if you're stuck you could try boat builders but there must be plenty of companies out there doing car panel stuff in GRP.
Would be worth seeing if you can interest anyone else in joining you, the major cost is in the mould after which the cost of making the bonnets is relatively small so if you can share the mould cost then you're on a winner.

Lesopc

• Intermediate Member
  • West London
  • Worlds Biggest GM Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 September 2010, 11:04:49 »

Second the above - if you're stuck you could try boat builders but there must be plenty of companies out there doing car panel stuff in GRP.
Would be worth seeing if you can interest anyone else in joining you, the major cost is in the mould after which the cost of making the bonnets is relatively small so if you can share the mould cost then you're on a winner.

Not too sure anyone else would like a version of the bonnet i have in mind as it is very much like what is on the V8Star Omega with transverse vents (around 6-7 of them) around 2/3rds back from front of bonnet and about as wide as the centre 2/3rds. I will try to post some photos from my scale model as an example of what i mean.
« Last Edit: 08 September 2010, 11:05:26 by Lesopc »
Look forward to the Cadillac ATS & ATS-V. Maybe a re-badged one will replace the Miggy as a RWD runner?

Lesopc

• Intermediate Member
  • West London
  • Worlds Biggest GM Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 September 2010, 11:07:32 »

Also wondering if the same firms might tailor make a rear spoiler of similar type to the race car although slightly scaled down as i have checked just about everywhere and have found nothing even close???
« Last Edit: 08 September 2010, 11:08:32 by Lesopc »

SJKOO01

« Reply #6 on: 08 September 2010, 19:54:21 »

Also wondering if the same firms might tailor make a rear spoiler of similar type to the race car although slightly scaled down as i have checked just about everywhere and have found nothing even close???

This may sound silly, but are there any rear wings out there that have wing profile you want.  But then get a fabricating company to make you up some end pieces, and support legs to your specification ?.

I was thinking wing off ebay, which would be cheaper, then the money saved could be used towards the fabrication ?.

Just a thought anyhow.

Oh... found a scale model picture that may help you with your search - Hope it's the correct one :y

Tony H

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
  • Black Elites are luurvley
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 September 2010, 22:24:51 »

You could always try making a mould yourself, using a bonnet to cast your mould on. A friend of mine used a boat hull to produce a mould. He then produced several boats from the mould he made. If you contact Glasplies in Southport Merseyside they may be able to give you tec. support on the project, they are very helpful. they also do mail order and there prices are very competitive, I believe that they are one of the largest GRP suppliers in the country yet they are a family business I have had numerous dealings with them in the past and found the customer service to be exellent.
Be aware of mole holes be very aware!

Lesopc

• Intermediate Member
  • West London
  • Worlds Biggest GM Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 September 2010, 10:17:41 »

This is the bonnet and wing designs i am looking at for this replica.

All except the joint line across the centre of the bonnet/wings.
« Last Edit: 09 September 2010, 10:19:22 by Lesopc »

weasel

• norfolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 September 2010, 22:44:33 »

i cant help with your original post, but sign me up for a bonnet, and while you're on the phone, ask about a wide arch kit for me!! :y
To find the limit, first you have to go past it...

Lesopc

• Intermediate Member
  • West London
  • Worlds Biggest GM Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 September 2010, 10:44:30 »

i cant help with your original post, but sign me up for a bonnet, and while you're on the phone, ask about a wide arch kit for me!! :y
Hi weasel, obviously the cost of the custom mould would be the biggest outlay moneywise and would require as much help as possible in sharing the cost. Are you ok with this as mould could be as high as £1K whereas the bonnet itself could only be around £200-250???
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 22 queries.