Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2.0 16v Ecotec cutting out  (Read 1119 times)

Clouseau

• Telford
  • Keeping the dream alive...
    • View Profile
2.0 16v Ecotec cutting out
« on: 18 September 2010, 08:29:00 »

Hi folks.  I have had a problem a few times with the engine cutting out whilst I have been driving. The only warning I get is a momentary deflection of the rev counter needle up high, then it dies.  Once the car is stopped I can turn off the ignition and the engine will immediately restart as if nothing is wrong. I can then continue to drive (sometimes for a few days), before it happens again.

The first time it happened I got the engine management warning light illuminated but it disappeared the next time I drove it. The engine has cut four times in the last three days but I don't get a warning light or any message on the computer display.  A friend at work has a Sealy code reader but this wasn't showing any codes.

Sounds like a failing camshaft sensor to me?  I replaced this about 5 years ago with the upgraded GM one (that had to be spliced into the loom).  Will do the paperclip test this morning and post the codes (if it shows any).

Any theories?

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
Re: 2.0 16v Ecotec cutting out
« Reply #1 on: 18 September 2010, 09:15:45 »

crank sensor
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

Clouseau

• Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 September 2010, 09:23:50 »

Ok, paperclip test done ...

0340   Camshaft Sensor Incorrect Signal
0351   Spark Timing 1+4 Voltage High
0352   Spark Timing 2+3 Voltage High
0335   Incorrect RPM reading

Can I assume from this that it is the camshaft sensor and replacing this should clear the other three fault codes?

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 September 2010, 16:39:15 »

Found this info from Vectra site - I know you only got the one code but my issues were same and were from crank sensor:

"Very often the reason behind getting both codes showing up is due to an implausible signal from one of the sensors, in other words the timing signals from the sensors do not match up. 1st thing to do is to always check the timing belt tension, a loose timing belt causes the camshaft to slightly become out of sync, so you get both codes come up as it doesnt know which sensor is out of tolerance."

Issue was resolved see below :
"Pins 1 & 3 of the cam sensor were open circuit. Went and got a new one, stuck it in, job done! They had one for 20 odd quid, or a genuine siemens one for 37 quid, so i went for that one, didn't want to chance the cheaper one. Fitted it fairly swiftly, in the end i just took the airbox out, undid the 3 stabiliser bar bolts from the block and bent it out of the way, then after undoing the centre 10mm bolt i bent the cam cover back and had plenty of access. Just couldn't be doing with loosening and removing belts and stuff! Anyway all good now. Thanks for all the help! "

So cam sensor then but get the real thing
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

Vauxste

• North Wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 September 2010, 21:46:33 »

Hi
This happened to mine about 3 weeks ago. Exactly the same symptoms until one day it just would not run. It was the cam sensor in the end.Runs like a dream now
Hope this helps

Steve

ted_one

« Reply #5 on: 18 September 2010, 22:31:41 »

Yep, same for me.Had to get the diagnostic done at the main stealers as the our local garage could'nt access  the ecu.Cost me £300 in total and they tried to tell me that the MAF sensor was also suspect until I showed them the receipt for a replacement sensor purchased from them 5 months previously.When I said obviously they would  be replacing the so called defective unit FOC, a minor miracle happened and the sensor was found to be working to accepted levels and would'nt need replacing after all!!  I try not to use the main dealer unless I'm absolutely desperate and in this case I was,but from now on I'll certainly be on my guard in the unlikely event of having to use them again!

Clouseau

• Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 September 2010, 18:54:51 »

Well one brand new Vauxhall Cam Sensor later and the car's running perfectly.  I had a good run down the motorway with no cutting out so I'm happy that's job done.  I did do the paper clip test again out of curiosity and the same codes are still there.

Do the codes clear themselves in time or is there a manual way of clearing them?

SJKOO01

« Reply #7 on: 20 September 2010, 19:04:07 »

Looks like your gut feeling was right, it being the camshaft sensor.  Wonder if the faulty one was a poorer quality batch from the dealer ??.

Just got to get that airbag light sorted out now  ;)  :y

Abiton

« Reply #8 on: 20 September 2010, 19:43:40 »

I thought cutting out on the move was crank sensor; cam sensor causing rev-limiting at 4K instead?
May be talking nonsense, as I've not had either fail, but...might explain why you've still got the codes.
 :-/

davethediver

• Omega Knight
  • Blackburn, Lancs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 September 2010, 14:59:55 »

Cam sensor can cause the car to cut out, its more than likely a cam sensor fault on a four pot the crank sensor is pretty robust.

As for the codes they should clear themselves after 20 odd clean starts or being cleared on a code reader. :y
“It is not necessary to understand things in order to argue about them.”
P.A. Caron de Beaumarchais
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.