Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Omega 2.5 TD - Doesn't like hills!!  (Read 3563 times)

flymofred

• nr. Tunbridge Wells (Royal)
    • (53) 2.6 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Omega 2.5 TD - Doesn't like hills!!
« Reply #30 on: 28 September 2010, 19:41:13 »

Cheers Kneepad there are three hoses off that EGR one is a hard plastic hose about 3-4ins. the connection is away from the other 2 connectors should that be to anything i thought I read somewhere that it was an oil drain although i can't  see where the oil comes from as this connector seems to be in a seperate part of the valve. I have looked at the schematic on this link; http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=DF72&mospid=47543&btnr=11_1552&hg=11&fg=40 , but i'm still not sure if mine is hooked up properly. 'The more you learn the more realise you don't know'

martinH

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
  • If there's a 'system' - play it ... !
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 28 September 2010, 19:58:00 »

changed the braided one and blew it through also changed the one that goes to where the injectors are as it just fell off the nipple on the EGR. Haven't done error, reason, don't know how to I taken it out for a run locally and it seems to go fine. I was hoping to find the cause of the appalling oil over the top hose but no luck I have already changed all the hoses on induction side, thinking manifold pressure was leaking out and forcing the oil out as well but no luck. hey ho.

martinH

The root cause of this is oil mist from the turbo.

'Cured' my first TD by cleaning-out the charge-air pipe, (embossed 'Turbo Diesel'), at each 2.5k oil-change.
Also routed a small-bore tube from the EGR valve down behind the rad. You get the odd drip of oil on the road, but that's preferential to it all over the N/S/F of the engine bay, which is not helped by the viscous fan blowing it!

HTH ;) ;) ;)
Gettin' seriously hacked-off by those who ignore the wisdom of proven experience ... and Forum guidelines.

chrism551

• sunny blackpool
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 28 September 2010, 20:31:40 »

yoo could be talking about my car here, sometimes on hills i think of getting out and walking cos it would be faster. I will be checking those  pipes for sure now

Kneepad

• Omega Knight
  • West Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 28 September 2010, 20:35:29 »

Ok, I went to get some pics for you but it's  too dark.
I'll try to explain as I see it on mine.
The whole "EGR" assembly consists of 3 parts.  1:The top part is the bonnet switch, ignore this. 2:Under that you have the MAP sensor with one pipe which connects to the underside of the intake manifold. 3:Under this you have the EGR solenoid with two pipes, the one with the blue tracer goes to the EGR valve at the front of the intake manifold. The other goes to the small filter then on to the hard plastic pipe that runs parallel with the Intake manifold.
There is no oil pipe. Unless you have a different setup from me.
I'll get some pics tomorrow for you.    :y

Kneepad

• Omega Knight
  • West Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 28 September 2010, 20:40:31 »

changed the braided one and blew it through also changed the one that goes to where the injectors are as it just fell off the nipple on the EGR. Haven't done error, reason, don't know how to I taken it out for a run locally and it seems to go fine. I was hoping to find the cause of the appalling oil over the top hose but no luck I have already changed all the hoses on induction side, thinking manifold pressure was leaking out and forcing the oil out as well but no luck. hey ho.

martinH

'Cured' my first TD by cleaning-out the charge-air pipe, (embossed 'Turbo Diesel'), at each 2.5k oil-change.
Also routed a small-bore tube from the EGR valve down behind the rad. You get the odd drip of oil on the road, but that's preferential to it all over the N/S/F of the engine bay, which is not helped by the viscous fan blowing it!

HTH ;) ;) ;)

Fully agree here with the cleaning the (embossed 'Turbo Diesel').  However the small bore pipe should be connected to your EGR solenoid.

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
  • If there's a 'system' - play it ... !
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 28 September 2010, 20:50:39 »

martinH

HTH ;) ;) ;)

Fully agree here with the cleaning the (embossed 'Turbo Diesel').  However the small bore pipe should be connected to your EGR solenoid.

It is ........
But there are TWO small-bore pipes at the base of my EGR valve.
The outer one (and smallEST bore one) is connected as you say above.
The other is connected to a nipple at the base of the EGR valve, and is merely a vent or drain.
Some valves don't have this nipple - these have a hole instead, and this is where the oil emerges from.

The valve will not operate unless it's vented to atmosphere - hence my modification!
 ;)
Gettin' seriously hacked-off by those who ignore the wisdom of proven experience ... and Forum guidelines.

Kneepad

• Omega Knight
  • West Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 28 September 2010, 20:57:45 »

Sorry, I stand corrected.  :-[Havn't seen one like that.  :y

• Woodhall Spa, Lincs
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 28 September 2010, 22:38:48 »

Ok, I went to get some pics for you but it's  too dark.
I'll try to explain as I see it on mine.
The whole "EGR" assembly consists of 3 parts.  1:The top part is the bonnet switch, ignore this. 2:Under that you have the MAP sensor with one pipe which connects to the underside of the intake manifold. 3:Under this you have the EGR solenoid with two pipes, the one with the blue tracer goes to the EGR valve at the front of the intake manifold. The other goes to the small filter then on to the hard plastic pipe that runs parallel with the Intake manifold.
There is no oil pipe. Unless you have a different setup from me.
I'll get some pics tomorrow for you.    :y

Hmm thanks for that info, I have a horrible feeling mine is all the wrong way round, I have no blue trace tube (perished and replaced)

Pictures will be great  :y
Regards

Richard Horton

Drives  '99 Omega Elite TD (almost)  Auto Estate

Kneepad

• Omega Knight
  • West Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 29 September 2010, 22:40:51 »

There are obviously different vesions of this. Here is my layout:

Maybe someone with a different setup could post a pic.

• Woodhall Spa, Lincs
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 30 September 2010, 08:00:44 »

Thanks for that Kneepad, mine was right, so that rules that one out :D
Regards

Richard Horton

Drives  '99 Omega Elite TD (almost)  Auto Estate

SR-71 Blackbird

• Watford and Nottingham Uni
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 30 September 2010, 09:39:36 »

Kneepad, could you take a photo of your EGR valve area, because i have an EGR valve with two very small holes on the right hand side as you face the engine bay, and there is simply a tiny tube connecting the two together, is this right? i clean this tube by blowing through it and a little bit of oil comes out when i do, are these two supposed to be connected together or is one of them supposed to connect to elsewhere on the engine,

regards

Alex

Kneepad

• Omega Knight
  • West Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 30 September 2010, 10:32:54 »

See Sethsmate's post above. Looks like he has the same type as you. I have different EGR Valve.

Kneepad

• Omega Knight
  • West Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 30 September 2010, 10:35:07 »

In the 2nd and 3rd posts of this thread, both Wellung666 and Hoofing it have suggested. paper clipping. So far I see no results.

I would do as these guys suggest, they know more about this than I do,  and post any results.   :y
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.