Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: steering  (Read 567 times)

millwall

• Omega Baron
  • se london
  • no muff too tuff
    • accord type s
    • View Profile
steering
« on: 13 November 2010, 20:11:08 »

hi all  ive read all the excellent posts on here regarding tramlining and vague steering and my omegas steering is really bad so today checked all the joints etc tried rocking the wheel at 12 and 6 and 3 and 9 and found no play  although  my question is when checking do i need both sides in the air or is it ok to jack one side up at a time  thanks

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
Re: steering
« Reply #1 on: 13 November 2010, 20:19:48 »

Might be the steering idler. Fairly easy to change assuming the joints come apart easily. Do use VX part not aftermarket.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

millwall

• Omega Baron
  • se london
  • no muff too tuff
    • accord type s
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 November 2010, 20:31:13 »

i did check the idler and had no play in it  i think i will start by changing the idler and track rods on monday and hopefully that will cure it

would a knackered idler be obvious ie loads of play or can it be knackered and feel solid  thanks

Welung666

« Reply #3 on: 13 November 2010, 20:54:30 »

You need both wheels up in the air. Idler will be obvious moving the passenger front wheel at 9-3, you'll see the tie bar moving up and down :y

millwall

• Omega Baron
  • se london
  • no muff too tuff
    • accord type s
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 November 2010, 21:03:11 »

thanks welung i was checking one side at a time   will invest in some axle stands tomorrow and check it again with both wheels raised  thanks

feeutfo

« Reply #5 on: 14 November 2010, 00:47:41 »

i did check the idler and had no play in it  i think i will start by changing the idler and track rods on monday and hopefully that will cure it

would a knackered idler be obvious ie loads of play or can it be knackered and feel solid  thanks
If the idler is fine why change it?

And no play at 3/9 o'clock should mean track rods are fine.

I'd check wishbone bushes next. And its not vital to Jack both sides, but it does help. So a pair of stands is wise, ratchet ones are easy to use.

millwall

• Omega Baron
  • se london
  • no muff too tuff
    • accord type s
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 November 2010, 02:15:09 »

one thing that does happen is car steers left on the brakes while the steering wheel turns right or vice versa  could this be due to wishbones   thanks

feeutfo

« Reply #7 on: 14 November 2010, 10:46:05 »

one thing that does happen is car steers left on the brakes while the steering wheel turns right or vice versa  could this be due to wishbones   thanks
Defo, are they odd? Ie not a pair? I'll bet on Delphi ? Red bushes and so soft you can press a finger  into the bush itself? Just guessing on the former  but wishbone bushes are fubar, defo!

See all German parts for a pair of lemforders.

feeutfo

« Reply #8 on: 14 November 2010, 10:48:02 »

Defo, are they odd? Ie not a pair? I'll bet on Delphi ? Red bushes and so soft you can press a finger  into the bush itself? Just guessing on the former  but wishbone bushes are fubar, defo!

See all German parts for a pair of lemforders.
Just to enfasise.... PAIR!  :y

millwall

• Omega Baron
  • se london
  • no muff too tuff
    • accord type s
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 November 2010, 14:13:45 »

thanks chris  im not sure whats on there cant really look as its chucking down with rain  when i was looking at the car yesterday i noticed the wishbones looked very old  will order a pair of lemforder ones in the morning    thanks for your help   adam :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.