Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Decatting and removing the middlebox on an MV6?  (Read 988 times)

Justanother Dave

• View Profile
Decatting and removing the middlebox on an MV6?
« on: 12 January 2011, 19:05:55 »

Hi Guys,
I bought a V6 because I like the sound. I'm not a boy racer or a chav etc, and was wondering if freeing up some of the delicious V6 sound by decatting and removing the middlebox has any consequences I should be aware of?
Any other suggestions also welcome.
Previous Cars -
2005 Skoda Fabia vRS (251 Bhp/400lbs ft)
2006 Skoda Octavia II vRS (270 Bhp/320lbs ft)
2000 Omega 2.5 V6 Auto
2009 GT Avalanche 3 Mountain Bike (Powered by an idiot and 2 feet)

Bent valve

• View Profile
Re: Decatting and removing the middlebox on an MV6?
« Reply #1 on: 12 January 2011, 19:19:38 »

You will have to be very friendly with your mot tester, but apart from that I cant see any problems ;)

lee4206

• southampton
  • Mot Tester
    • 2000 3.0l manual MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 January 2011, 20:23:58 »

Just a warning if you remove the centre boxes you may find the noise level unbearable. I went through the agro of cutting mine out and welding in new pipes only to go around the block come back and remove the pipes to re-weld the boxes back in.
Lee
VAUXHALL TRADE CLUB AND HALFORDS TRADE CARD  AND V6 LOCKING KIT HOLDER  always happy to help if poss

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #3 on: 12 January 2011, 21:06:05 »

you will loose low rpm torque which is more useful in urban driving.. resulting with increased consumption.. :-/

Welung666

« Reply #4 on: 12 January 2011, 21:33:38 »

If you want a bit more noise but not too loud leave the centre boxes alone and replace the back box with a straight through. It impacts the consumption much less and gives a lovely growl :y

SJKOO01

« Reply #5 on: 12 January 2011, 21:38:50 »

If you want a bit more noise but not too loud leave the centre boxes alone and replace the back box with a straight through. It impacts the consumption much less and gives a lovely growl :y

Lee,
Do you think it would be around 10% down in MPG across the range (urban or combined) from the standard set up if you go this route?.
« Last Edit: 12 January 2011, 21:40:03 by SJKOO01 »

Welung666

« Reply #6 on: 12 January 2011, 21:41:30 »

Lee,
Do you think it would be around 10% down in MPG across the range (urban or combined) from the standard set up if you go this route?.

Full decat and straight through or just the backbox off?

SJKOO01

« Reply #7 on: 12 January 2011, 21:47:41 »

Lee,

Full decat and straight through or just the backbox off?

Can't afford the full decat & straight through, too expensive.
Was bored this weekend, so thought I'd go to my local Powerflow agent, and being nosy I asked how much for just a back box conversion, they wanted £250  :o (editted...Swaring takes place here kids) how much  :D .
So thinking of going old school route with couple of cherry bomb silencers tacked together
« Last Edit: 12 January 2011, 21:48:28 by SJKOO01 »

Welung666

« Reply #8 on: 12 January 2011, 21:57:21 »

Just dump the back box, I can get various bends and straights and I'll make you a twin exit boxless for the rear end. A consumption change of around 3% and a massive sound improvement :y

SJKOO01

« Reply #9 on: 12 January 2011, 22:05:25 »

Just dump the back box, I can get various bends and straights and I'll make you a twin exit boxless for the rear end. A consumption change of around 3% and a massive sound improvement :y

Ooo... get to tinker with me mega mig finally (while I can).  Okay sounds good to me (pun not intended).  I'll get a couple of silencers for the tweak.  What am I aiming for, short fat or long thin silencers to get the deep growl sound... :D
P.S.  can you pm me precat conversion link you sent me for the adaptors, as I've rather embarrassingly gone and deleted your pm in a spring clean :-[

Cheers  :y

Welung666

« Reply #10 on: 12 January 2011, 22:20:26 »

Yes I'll send it to you again.

No need for silencers, the rear end will just be pipes and I can get those :y

Sixstring

• Omega Baron
  • Lydney, Gloucestershire
  • Its just GOTTA be a big V6. Mmm....NOS........
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13 January 2011, 10:45:30 »

LEE....

Please forgive my butting in, but on an estate V6 where you have two pipes into the rear backbox, is it relatively easy to just have twin tailpipes with no rear back box, and does it impact on mpg too?

Many thanks and apologies for hijack!

Mike :y
Self confessed Electro-Mechanical nut, Guitarist/Singer and Motorcyclist. Drives an estate due to all the equipment he has to carry,Electrickery fiddler who loves Automatics and BIG Vee engines.

Welung666

« Reply #12 on: 13 January 2011, 13:24:50 »

The difference on the MPG is negligable, 2 or 3% tops. Louder though by a fair way. If you've ever run your V6 without a back box you'll know the growl I mean. Easy enough to do too :y

SJKOO01

« Reply #13 on: 13 January 2011, 16:33:42 »

The difference on the MPG is negligable, 2 or 3% tops. Louder though by a fair way. If you've ever run your V6 without a back box you'll know the growl I mean. Easy enough to do too :y

What, loud enough to get a tug perhaps?  ::) ;D .

Thanks for sending the link again, take a look this time before another clean out !.  ;D  :y
« Last Edit: 13 January 2011, 16:35:06 by SJKOO01 »

Justanother Dave

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13 January 2011, 22:51:59 »

Thanks for the replies. Taking into account everything that's been said here, I think I'll go ahead and try just removing the backbox and see if that gives a satisfactory result.  :y
Previous Cars -
2005 Skoda Fabia vRS (251 Bhp/400lbs ft)
2006 Skoda Octavia II vRS (270 Bhp/320lbs ft)
2000 Omega 2.5 V6 Auto
2009 GT Avalanche 3 Mountain Bike (Powered by an idiot and 2 feet)
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.