Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Code 64.. It rears it's ugly head again  (Read 942 times)

• Woodhall Spa, Lincs
    • View Profile
Code 64.. It rears it's ugly head again
« on: 21 January 2011, 00:21:54 »

2.5 TD

Thought this problem had gone away, but apparently not. Engine is very "top end" noisy (embarrassingly according to my g/f  :-[ ). Now mucho trawling of the web led me to change the fuel quantity sensor (oh what fun that was... NOT!!!!) and number 4 injector, with no change although I would have expected code 34 tbh. Now my next feeling is that perhaps when i fitted the engine I perhaps did manage to turn it backwards (I think someone suggested that -- GC ??) and therefore disturb the pump (but would i also get code 34 in that case ??

Any other thoughts before I get serious and swap the spare engine over with a known working pump  ;D Oh and 430 miles to a tank with little or no town driving doesn't seem quite right.

Yours frustrated....  :D
Regards

Richard Horton

Drives  '99 Omega Elite TD (almost)  Auto Estate

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
Re: Code 64.. It rears it's ugly head again
« Reply #1 on: 21 January 2011, 08:08:48 »

2.5 TD

Thought this problem had gone away, but apparently not. Engine is very "top end" noisy (embarrassingly according to my g/f  :-[ ). Now mucho trawling of the web led me to change the fuel quantity sensor (oh what fun that was... NOT!!!!) and number 4 injector, with no change although I would have expected code 34 tbh. Now my next feeling is that perhaps when i fitted the engine I perhaps did manage to turn it backwards (I think someone suggested that -- GC ??) and therefore disturb the pump (but would i also get code 34 in that case ??

Any other thoughts before I get serious and swap the spare engine over with a known working pump  ;D Oh and 430 miles to a tank with little or no town driving doesn't seem quite right.

Lo Rich,
ok symptoms if you have turned it backwards usually include the following
1,very rough tickover when it finally starts
2.difficult starting
3. almost sounds as if its missfiring like a petrol would?and a heavy knock
4,little power although sometimes this is ok driving wise or once you get it going however there will be black smoke?

mileage wise to a full tank you are very correct something is seriously amiss if my manual is anything to go by!!however auto,s do suffer a mileage loss

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 January 2011, 08:15:01 »

I did the same when replacing the clutch and I was being careful not to turn it backwards when tightening the bolts but it must have happened. I had the same symptoms as OT says above so I replaced the timing chains, guides and tensioners and the car has never run so well ;)
Retired

• Woodhall Spa, Lincs
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 January 2011, 08:31:46 »

2.5 TD

Lo Rich,
2.difficult starting
4,little power although sometimes this is ok driving wise or once you get it going however there will be black smoke?

mileage wise to a full tank you are very correct something is seriously amiss if my manual is anything to go by!!however auto,s do suffer a mileage loss

Hmmm...

1, Rough tickover, yep but not really horrible
2, Starts fine... with a good puff of black/grey smoke though
3, No misfiring, just noisy idle
4, Gets driven like i stole it, and no noticeable black smoke. (Might explain the mileage though  ;D )

Oh and just checked my excel spreadsheet and it would appear 30.2mpg (suggesting I could get 495 miles out the tank - 16.5gal x30, but as the light is on I'm getting nervous)

Someone did suggest putting a bit of clear pipe on the leak off tubes to see if i'm getting any air in with the fuel (bad apparently). Also to have a look at the lift pump to see if the filter is blocked. Do these seem like reasonable ideas ??
Regards

Richard Horton

hoofing it

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 January 2011, 19:10:41 »

2.5 TD

Just been there mate I tried everything even stripping and flushing out the injector pump.
In the end I bought a new(bosch re-con) For £630.00
I am still getting top end noise which I put down to the valve lifters needing replaced.
You could try advancing the pump but I think you will only be wasting your time.
As you have a spare engine swap the pumps it only takes about 3 hours :y

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 January 2011, 19:31:04 »

2.5 TD

Lo Rich,
2.difficult starting

Hmmm...

4, Gets driven like i stole it, and no noticeable black smoke. (Might explain the mileage though  ;D )

Oh and just checked my excel spreadsheet and it would appear 30.2mpg (suggesting I could get 495 miles out the tank - 16.5gal x30, but as the light is on I'm getting nervous)

Someone did suggest putting a bit of clear pipe on the leak off tubes to see if i'm getting any air in with the fuel (bad apparently). Also to have a look at the lift pump to see if the filter is blocked. Do these seem like reasonable ideas ??

Hmm, as a thrashed auto the mpg is not far off the mark then,
especially in current temps,

puff of black/grey smole when first started is normal,
if it starts almost instantly then it defo aint the chain problem
noisy when first started is normal also but it should get queter when the engine is hot?after around ten miles or so,
lifters do suffer from sludging up on these and get a little noisy, a good strong flush does help followed by oil change and add wynns valve lifter concentrate. then take it for at least a 15mile run to get the stuff up there

does sound increasingly like it is the pump giving you the problem,do you use supermarket fuel? this is known to give problems with not enough lubricant in the fuel to lube the pump, have you tried adding a little 2 stroke oil to the tank? this also helps!! if it starts well when cold with less than 20 litres in the tank then the intank pump is usually good, can you hear it when you first turn the igniton on?
leak off pipes if leaking will show up as wet pipes or a little puddle around the actual injector, if you are going to change one may as well do them all unless you have already done so, it also can be the long pipe that leads from the injector pump to the last leakoff giving problems which is damn difficult to see as its hidden by the inlet manifold , finally you can if your brave enough, try undooing the three nuts at the back of the pump, and moving it slightly to tweak the pump timing, just maybe it will sort out the 64 and the noise when its cold? be warned its tight to move owing to the injector pipes being metal!!should really be set with a guage but if the mileage is high you will have a little stretch in the chains anyway

finally  there is a how to on here bout how to change the actual pump without removing to much gear, may be worth a look
keep us updated !!

« Last Edit: 21 January 2011, 19:32:53 by Omegatoy »

• Woodhall Spa, Lincs
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 January 2011, 21:03:57 »

2.5 TD

Lo Rich,
2.difficult starting

Hmmm...

Hmm, as a thrashed auto the mpg is not far off the mark then,
especially in current temps,

puff of black/grey smole when first started is normal,
if it starts almost instantly then it defo aint the chain problem
noisy when first started is normal also but it should get queter when the engine is hot?after around ten miles or so,
lifters do suffer from sludging up on these and get a little noisy, a good strong flush does help followed by oil change and add wynns valve lifter concentrate. then take it for at least a 15mile run to get the stuff up there

does sound increasingly like it is the pump giving you the problem,do you use supermarket fuel? this is known to give problems with not enough lubricant in the fuel to lube the pump, have you tried adding a little 2 stroke oil to the tank? this also helps!! if it starts well when cold with less than 20 litres in the tank then the intank pump is usually good, can you hear it when you first turn the igniton on?
leak off pipes if leaking will show up as wet pipes or a little puddle around the actual injector, if you are going to change one may as well do them all unless you have already done so, it also can be the long pipe that leads from the injector pump to the last leakoff giving problems which is damn difficult to see as its hidden by the inlet manifold , finally you can if your brave enough, try undooing the three nuts at the back of the pump, and moving it slightly to tweak the pump timing, just maybe it will sort out the 64 and the noise when its cold? be warned its tight to move owing to the injector pipes being metal!!should really be set with a guage but if the mileage is high you will have a little stretch in the chains anyway

finally  there is a how to on here bout how to change the actual pump without removing to much gear, may be worth a look
keep us updated !!

Found the "how too".... might be an option. Checked today the fuel filter for the lift pump, it was a little blocked, but not too bad. I don't use supermarket fuel, but run 50/50 diesel/veg oil (plenty of lubrication there i suspect)

Done the leak off pipes

Next step is to check something hasn't come adrift with my wiring esp. the fly by wire stuff which was chopped into the harness. I have a second harness now to make a better job of it.

Well it keeps me off the streets  ;D
Regards

Richard Horton

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 January 2011, 21:13:18 »

lol out of interest what rpm does it tickover at?

• Woodhall Spa, Lincs
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 January 2011, 00:09:33 »

lol out of interest what rpm does it tickover at?

about 600
Regards

Richard Horton

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 January 2011, 07:32:36 »

ok thats about right take it the engine revs rise when d is selcted> or when the aircon is switched on?
it should do as soon as the engine comes under load,
was the new no4 injector new or seconhand?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 21 queries.