Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: More temperature gauge problems  (Read 924 times)

Clouseau

• Telford
  • Keeping the dream alive...
    • View Profile
More temperature gauge problems
« on: 10 February 2009, 18:41:07 »

Hi all.  I had a problem a couple of weeks ago when my trip computer display started showing temperatures of -35 to -40. Now it's been cold, but not that cold.

Simple fix was to replace the external temp sensor in the lower grill, which fixed the problem fine. (And only cost £9.20). That worked for a couple of weeks, but this week the display started showing -35 again.  The it stopped showing the actual temperature and displayed the letter 'F' instead, which I assume means 'Fault'.

Today I replaced the sensor with another brand new unit. Whereas last time the temperature came up immediately, this time it won't budge from 'F'. I have checked the condition of the wiring, and made sure the connectors were dry but still no temp displayed.  Normally I would ignore something as trivial as this but since the aircon won't work below -4 degrees and the car thinks it's -40 I have a problem. I have studied the wiring diagram but can't see anything obvious. The characters in the display work perfectly in all other modes.  I have tried disconnecting the battery and re-setting everything but it still comes up 'F'.  I think I know what the 'F' really stands for now.

Anyone got any suggestions as to how to fix this?

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: More temperature gauge problems
« Reply #1 on: 10 February 2009, 21:05:30 »

There is a multiplug (4 pin) around the front corner which the temp sensor wires run to....check this for water and corrosion

Clouseau

• Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 February 2009, 19:59:16 »

Sorted. Following Mark's advice I followed the loom until it reached the multi-plug but I was disappointed to see it was clean and dry with nice shiny terminals. However I found that one of the blue wires which lead to the sensor was damaged about 2 inches on the ECU side of the multi-plug. The insulation was split open and there was a clean break in the wire, which was touching on and off, causing the inconsistent readings.  Quick bit of soldering to put in a bridging wire and all is fixed! :D

Impact Pete

• Intermediate Member
  • Derby
    • Elite V6 2.6 estate
    • View Profile
    • Custom Flightcase manufacture
« Reply #3 on: 20 February 2009, 14:44:38 »

Hi I have had this problem for 2 years not got round to it mainly as I didn't know where it was!
In exactly what position can I find it and is it a kneeling from front job or lying on back under bumber?

kind regards
www.impactcls.co.uk - Flight Case Manufacture

Clouseau

• Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 February 2009, 18:13:18 »

Sensor is in the middle of the lower grill on a facelift - simply clips into the grill.  The multi plug is just under the bumper on the passenger side; you'll find it easily by following the loom.  I did have to get on the ground though to repair the wire because there wasn't much play in the loom at that point.

Rob James

• Sheffield
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 March 2009, 20:44:27 »

I've replaced my sensor today, and still have F instead of the temp. Thanks for the tips, I'll be checking the rest of the wiring tomorrow.

tcs

« Reply #6 on: 05 February 2011, 12:46:51 »

Hi,

Did you ever fix your problem? I've been trying to locate a fault in this wiring now for about 6 months and it's driving me crazy! Once the loom gets under the battery box it's impossible to get at. Do you know where the wires terminate in a 2.0i 1999 Omega B - do they go directly to the display?

Regards.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.