Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: First day of usage. First breakdown  (Read 2748 times)

V6 CDX-er

• Intermediate Member
  • Sheffield
    • View Profile
Re: First day of usage. First breakdown
« Reply #15 on: 22 February 2011, 22:08:44 »

Some of those fault codes might be old - the no6 misfire and the transponder ones in particular

It's definatly missing TB. Running on four cylinders I reckon.

Is it possible to clear the fault codes at home, so that only new or current ones show?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 22 February 2011, 22:10:29 »

Some of those fault codes might be old - the no6 misfire and the transponder ones in particular

Is it possible to clear the fault codes at home, so that only new or current ones show?
No
Grumpy old man

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 22 February 2011, 22:10:56 »

I had the vehicle valeted earlier today ....

..... and having doors open for hours won't have helped a struggling battery.  :y

This is what I cant understand Andy  :-?

I used a booster pack to start it at my house, then drove straight to Halfords for a battery (540amps, £54 with trade card).

I had the car valeted after having the new battery fitted, and not once today have I noticed any of the usual signs of a weak battery.

I haven't got a multimeter though, so I cant check it  :(

So, it's got its new battery on & you still can't lock it via the fob? How about via the driver's door lock?  :-/

feeutfo

« Reply #18 on: 22 February 2011, 22:14:08 »

Sadly i dont think the rubber boots are available for the v6 cp llike they are for the 4 pot. So new cp i guess?  :'(

I have used a good smear of sylicon grease around the cp seal to help water proofing should water get in the engine bay, which it shouldnt.

Strongly sugest checking scuttle and windscreen seal is sound and seated correctly, possibly with a bead of sylicone sealent along the scuttle join with polen filter section, dealing with coil pac.

feeutfo

« Reply #19 on: 22 February 2011, 22:17:28 »

No
Going by my poor memory of previous posts, i was working on the battery code as being historic?...?

Could that be the case?

V6 CDX-er

• Intermediate Member
  • Sheffield
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 22 February 2011, 22:34:34 »

..... and having doors open for hours won't have helped a struggling battery.  :y

I used a booster pack to start it at my house, then drove straight to Halfords for a battery (540amps, £54 with trade card).

I had the car valeted after having the new battery fitted, and not once today have I noticed any of the usual signs of a weak battery.

So, it's got its new battery on & you still can't lock it via the fob? How about via the driver's door lock?  :-/

It's a new car battery that I got for £54 from Halfords Andy, not the battery for the remote.

I don't think even Halfords could get away with charging £54 for what is essentially a watch battery  :D

V6 CDX-er

• Intermediate Member
  • Sheffield
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 22 February 2011, 22:36:09 »

Sadly i dont think the rubber boots are available for the v6 cp llike they are for the 4 pot. So new cp i guess?  :'(

I think your right. I've tried a few places and no-where seems to stock them. Well, not unless you want a coil pack free of charge.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 22 February 2011, 22:38:09 »

It's a new car battery that I got for £54 from Halfords Andy, not the battery for the remote.

I don't think even Halfords could get away with charging £54 for what is essentially a watch battery  :D

I knew what you meant.  ;) :y I was just trying to see when you were having locking problems, before or after your new car battery was fitted. so ....... does it al lock via the fob or door with your new battery fitted?  ::) ;)

V6 CDX-er

• Intermediate Member
  • Sheffield
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 22 February 2011, 22:41:35 »

Difficult to say Andy.

The car has been sat in my garage since mid October whilst I've been doing all the jobs to it. All this time it's been in my garage I haven't locked it.

All I can say is that I only noticed the hazard warning lights flashing (after unlocking the car) after I had had the new battery fitted.

Although TBH I wouldn't read too much into that bearing in mind what I have said above?

MutantCav

• Omega Baron
  • Gainsborough
  • Smoke me a kipper - I'll be back for Breakfast
    • View Profile
    • Free Giffgaff Sim With £5 Free Credit
« Reply #24 on: 23 February 2011, 11:02:37 »

Does the little red light on the fob light up when you press the lock/unlock buttons?? If not and you have a new battery then the most likely situation is that the battery holder in the fob has snapped...easy enough to weld but you will often find its just held in place by a piece of folded paper...which of course can shift...

As the misfire is on no 6 which is the one with the knackered lead I would say change the lead, clean up the plug and see if that gets rid of the misfire...

If you can head over here I can stick the computer on it and reset old codes etc...

As for the chip/immobiliser, if you can start the car then the code is old...if it was current then it just wouldnt work!
http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/tvpromo Get a free giffgaff sim running on O2 network
£5 free credit on first top-up
£5 gives you 60 mins, 300 texts & unltd calls and texts to anyone else on giffgaff

V6 CDX-er

• Intermediate Member
  • Sheffield
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 23 February 2011, 11:54:36 »

Does the little red light on the fob light up when you press the lock/unlock buttons?? If not and you have a new battery then the most likely situation is that the battery holder in the fob has snapped...easy enough to weld but you will often find its just held in place by a piece of folded paper...which of course can shift...

As the misfire is on no 6 which is the one with the knackered lead I would say change the lead, clean up the plug and see if that gets rid of the misfire...

If you can head over here I can stick the computer on it and reset old codes etc...

As for the chip/immobiliser, if you can start the car then the code is old...if it was current then it just wouldnt work!

Thanks for the offer. i may take you up on it  :y

The keyfob remains in-op as it was only the car battery that was changed.

Mines the later 2.6, so no leads as such, but the sleeve / shroud for pot 6 is quite damaged, and that (I think) is likely the root of the problem. Just looking after the little 'un (and trying to work) whilst the wife has nipped out for a couple of hours. After which I'll have the coil packs out.

If I was to run a bead ofsilicone sealant around the edge of the dis-pac, (where it got damaged removing it), I assume that that would be sufficient to keep it water tight? Would the silicone sealant cause any problems with the heat soak it will suffer?

skyblue

• Omega Knight
  • Bracknell
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 23 February 2011, 16:38:16 »

Sorry to hear of your troubles and lets hope its something simple and you are roaring around soon :y
Caravaners  can only go as fast as the rest of the  other road users... so deal with it

PhilRich

• Omega Queen
  • A bit further North of the Back of Beyond!
    • Mk 2 Volvo V70
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 23 February 2011, 17:23:55 »

Thanks for the offer. i may take you up on it  :y

The keyfob remains in-op as it was only the car battery that was changed.

Mines the later 2.6, so no leads as such, but the sleeve / shroud for pot 6 is quite damaged, and that (I think) is likely the root of the problem. Just looking after the little 'un (and trying to work) whilst the wife has nipped out for a couple of hours. After which I'll have the coil packs out.

If I was to run a bead ofsilicone sealant around the edge of the dis-pac, (where it got damaged removing it), I assume that that would be sufficient to keep it water tight? Would the silicone sealant cause any problems with the heat soak it will suffer?
[/highlight]

No I don't think it would cause any problem & may cure any spark tracking temporarily allowing the plug to fire correctly, but the probable cause of water ingress to No.6 plug is a leaking scuttle joint imho & you should check the soundproofing material under the scuttle to see if it is/ has been, wet. You can fix this by running a good bead of silicone down the joints & seal around the holes for the wiper shafts. :y
If it ain't broke keep fixing it 'til it is!

ffcgary1

• Omega Baron
  • Mitcham,Surrey.
  • I really must get my eyes seen to.
    • Omega Estate/ jaguar XJ6
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 23 February 2011, 18:34:11 »

Did you say you had it valeted?, if so did they jet wash under the bonnet? if so they could have gone mentle and filled every nock and cranny with water.  Misfire could be the dis pack has failed due to water ingress.check the leads and replace if you suspect them, as they do not age well and together with a poss dousing with water could be the cause.
Elite leather, cruise control, 3.0ltr cams, gas flowed 3.0ltr inlet manifold, 4 bar fuel pressure regulator, rear side window demisters, rear electric windows. projectors /HID'S, h/l washers.
Jaguar XJ6

V6 CDX-er

• Intermediate Member
  • Sheffield
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 23 February 2011, 18:44:25 »

Did you say you had it valeted?, if so did they jet wash under the bonnet? if so they could have gone mentle and filled every nock and cranny with water.  Misfire could be the dis pack has failed due to water ingress.check the leads and replace if you suspect them, as they do not age well and together with a poss dousing with water could be the cause.

I've yet to open the bonnet on it, (been a very busy day), but I don't think that a steam clean of the engine is part of the £15 valet that I had done. I cant be 100% sure though untill I open the bonnet as I left the car with them whilst I went off to pay some bills.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 22 queries.