Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 2.5td Chipping  (Read 4649 times)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
2.5td Chipping
« on: 15 April 2010, 16:26:04 »

Has anyone thought of fitting a 2.5td with an 'optional' chip or re-map? I'm thinking that it would be useful, in the interests of fuel economy, if you could select the chip or remap with a switch - Sports mode?- when required, and have it in normal mode for long range cruising.

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
Re: 2.5td Chipping
« Reply #1 on: 15 April 2010, 16:28:28 »

lol chipping it will do the business, but the switch is your right fooot!!!!!

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 April 2010, 16:49:42 »

Sorry, what is 'lol chipping'. I already have a chip, but it would be nice if it were selectable :y

MickAP

• Omega Knight
  • South Derbyshire
  • Facelift 2.5TD Estate "Chipped" not anymore
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 April 2010, 17:20:20 »

Sorry, what is 'lol chipping'. I already have a chip, but it would be nice if it were selectable :y

I would like one, that is selectable.
I already have a chip, but it's not fitted.

Had it in, the extra power was nice, but the less MPG wasn't.
Towing a caravan with the extra BHP was great, but the low 20s MPG was not. :(
Back to standard now, and it's returning 27 MPG towing. And returning 33 MPG local running around.

I'm going to investigate getting a chip that will give me both economy coupled with the extra BHP. :y

Mick

Turk

• Omega Baron
  • Llanelli, Wales
    • 2.5td, H-D XL1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 April 2010, 17:44:59 »

Had it in, the extra power was nice, but the less MPG wasn't.Towing a caravan with the extra BHP was great, but the low 20s MPG was not. :(
Back to standard now, and it's returning 27 MPG towing. And returning 33 MPG local running around.

I'm going to investigate getting a chip that will give me both economy coupled with the extra BHP. :y

Mick
A chipped 2.5td gives more power and more mpg with the full BMW spec chip, or at least everyone else on here with a chipped 2.5td gets more oomph and more miles.
MickAP's is just a freak of nature.  ;D
Only a biker truly understands why a dog sticks it's head out of the window of a moving car.

MickAP

• Omega Knight
  • South Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 April 2010, 17:50:51 »

Had it in, the extra power was nice, but the less MPG wasn't.Towing a caravan with the extra BHP was great, but the low 20s MPG was not. :(

Mick
A chipped 2.5td gives more power and more mpg with the full BMW spec chip, or at least everyone else on here with a chipped 2.5td gets more oomph and more miles.
MickAP's is just a freak of nature;D

A freak of something ;D

No seriously I've been told there is more than one chip available from the supplier I got mine from.
Maybe I got the wrong one, more power less MPG ;D

Who knows?... but gonna find out soon.

Mick ;)

pembsomega

• pembrokeshire, wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 April 2010, 18:34:26 »

more bhp and more mpg cant be achived with a chip alone, if you chip your car so youve got more power and torque then adjusting your driving to suit the more torque available, like shifting at a lower rpm etc will give you more mpg, caining it everywhere will result in a worse mpg than before.

how is a chip fitted to an omega? if you have a spare chip space on the ecu and you have to cut a resistor to activate the chip then its easy, simply cut one end of the resistor, run a wire from that to a switch then back to were the reistor used to be, then you have a switchable chip all depends on how a chip is fitted, if u take the old one out and replace with new then i doubt you could do it.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 April 2010, 18:37:15 »

lol is short hand for 'laugh out loud' so its not a reference to type of chip  :y

more bhp and more mpg cant be achived with a chip alone

Petrol engines, i would agree, but in the case of the 2.5TD in the Omega, it was de-tuned from BMW spec in the Omega, chipping it, brings it back to full BMW spec, you do get more power and better mpg because the engine is not having to work as hard.

pembsomega

• pembrokeshire, wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 April 2010, 18:42:11 »

Petrol engines, i would agree, but in the case of the 2.5TD in  the Omega, it was de-tuned from BMW spec in the Omega, chipping it, brings it back to full BMW spec, you do get more power and better mpg because the engine is not having to work as hard.

thats what i meant, but if you flog your car everywhere to the limit then your mpg would still suffer???? adapting to the new characteristics and driving accordingly then youll getter better mpg :y
« Last Edit: 15 April 2010, 18:46:08 by pembsomega »

MickAP

• Omega Knight
  • South Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15 April 2010, 18:43:34 »

more bhp and more mpg cant be achived with a chip alone, if you chip your car so youve got more power and torque then adjusting your driving to suit the more torque available, like shifting at a lower rpm etc will give you more mpg, caining it everywhere will result in a worse mpg than before.

how is a chip fitted to an omega? if you have a spare chip space on the ecu and you have to cut a resistor to activate the chip then its easy, simply cut one end of the resistor, run a wire from that to a switch then back to were the reistor used to be, then you have a switchable chip all depends on how a chip is fitted, if u take the old one out and replace with new then i doubt you could do it.

That's the way you do it on the TD :y

Mick ;)
« Last Edit: 15 April 2010, 18:44:29 by MickAP »

pembsomega

• pembrokeshire, wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15 April 2010, 18:45:21 »

in that case im guessing it would be a mission to make it switchable.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15 April 2010, 18:48:08 »

Petrol engines, i would agree, but in the case of the 2.5TD in  the Omega, it was de-tuned from BMW spec in the Omega, chipping it, brings it back to full BMW spec, you do get more power and better mpg because the engine is not having to work as hard.

thats what i meant, but if you flog your car everywhere to the limit then your mpg would still suffer???? adapting to the new characteristics and driving accordingly then youll getter better mpg :y

Soon as its chipped you will loose mpg as you will be booting it everyware with all that nice new found power. But once you settle down and do 'normal' driving the extra power helps.

On a run, 3.2 V6 is just as economical as a 2.2!

pembsomega

• pembrokeshire, wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15 April 2010, 18:52:17 »

i have a 2.5 facelift, would there be a chip available for it? and from where?

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 15 April 2010, 19:11:45 »

i have a 2.5 facelift, would there be a chip available for it? and from where?

Petrol assume? Yeh they can be chipped, drop a PM to TheBoy he has good sources for chips.

Its no drastic improvement on the petrols, unlike the TD. But do help  :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 15 April 2010, 19:17:21 »

On my tractor (1999 2.5TD), the chip improved performance and mpg.  And it was ragged everywhere, hence average MPGs over several tankfuls was high 20s (Std) and low 30s (chipped), measured by brimming with fuel and using a pen and paper - the MID way overreads on chipped tractors.
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 18 queries.