Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Drop links where best  (Read 1144 times)

SP_3.2

• Omega Baron
  • Leicester
    • drives A6 allroad 3.0tdi
    • View Profile
Drop links where best
« on: 03 March 2011, 17:50:21 »

Was loking to get a set of these from them

http://www.vauxhallworldparts.com/partsearch/partdetail.php?partid=342

But out of stock and suppliers not sure when will be back in.
Any other places to look for a good pair.The ones that i have one now are the 1st line ones and they are crap :-[ :-[.

Thanks

Steve.  :y
Also drive a Savage 25 niro truck...and flys a Bell 47 twister Savage 46 ss and a Tamiya audi TT ..for now.

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
Re: Drop links where best
« Reply #1 on: 03 March 2011, 18:03:20 »

I got mine from my local unipart stockist,no probs so far :y
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

SP_3.2

• Omega Baron
  • Leicester
    • drives A6 allroad 3.0tdi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 March 2011, 18:06:28 »

Cool thanks.  How much did you pay if i could ask....find some prices are very diffrent from place to place
Also drive a Savage 25 niro truck...and flys a Bell 47 twister Savage 46 ss and a Tamiya audi TT ..for now.

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 March 2011, 18:14:05 »

Cool thanks.  How much did you pay if i could ask....find some prices are very diffrent from place to place

it was about 12 months ago now and I think I paid around a tenner plus vat trade each
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 March 2011, 21:03:00 »

Just replaced both of mine today with Lemforders from Allgermanparts.

I bought and replaced them about 18 months ago with genuine VX at about £25=00 each.Couldn,t track down why I had a knocking from n/side but put it down to wishbones on their way out as think they are still originals .These orads have a lot to answer for so decided to order up drop links just in case.

When I removed them today top knuckles felt tight but both bottoms were really sloppy and one of the rubber gaiters had split and had now grease left.The condition of the genuine VX ones were no near the same quality of the new Lemforder ones,so my advise would be to get them from Jason at Allgermanparts.

Pleased to say drive tonight had no knocks or strange noises so looks like I have fixed that little issue...just need to get the wheels checked by one of Wheels In Motion local outlest near me and the old girl is back to her fighting best again. 

harpersimon

• Marlow, Bucks
  • Live fast, Die young - leave a good looking corpse
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 March 2011, 00:21:26 »

Just replaced both of mine today with Lemforders from Allgermanparts.

I bought and replaced them about 18 months ago with genuine VX at about £25=00 each.Couldn,t track down why I had a knocking from n/side but put it down to wishbones on their way out as think they are still originals .These orads have a lot to answer for so decided to order up drop links just in case.

When I removed them today top knuckles felt tight but both bottoms were really sloppy and one of the rubber gaiters had split and had now grease left.The condition of the genuine VX ones were no near the same quality of the new Lemforder ones,so my advise would be to get them from Jason at Allgermanparts.

Pleased to say drive tonight had no knocks or strange noises so looks like I have fixed that little issue...just need to get the wheels checked by one of Wheels In Motion local outlest near me and the old girl is back to her fighting best again. 

So this was a relatively easy procedure then..?

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 March 2011, 09:48:37 »

Replacing drop links is a very simple job.

Jack up both sides and support on axle stands.Remove both front wheels.Drop link requires a 17mm open ended spanner on the flats of the bar and a 18mm socket to undo.Old nuts may be tight so a spray of plusgas and leave to soak fo 30minutes or so will help alot.Then it is really just undo ,and replace.

If you have HID,s you would be wise removing the headlight level sensor from the n/s wishbone,as it makes turning the ratchet handle much easier,and with the sensor in place you could damage the wire or plug.

Straight forward job and you will notice the knocking from your front wheels going over speed bumps etc has gone. 

mrgreen

• Salzburg/austria
    • 2000 2.2 petrol estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 March 2011, 11:23:00 »

do you need a fork to bash the old droplinks off or do they come out easy?
Warning: Dates in Calendar are closer than they appear.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 March 2011, 11:30:20 »

No fork required at all.

The drop links are just a short metal rob..about 30cms long..bolted between the front anti roll bar and a bracket on the front shock absorber.

AS per my previous post...17mm open end spanner  and a 18mm socket and ratchet..only tools required.

Just undo the nuts that hold it on at both ends,holding the bar with the 17mm open end spanner on the flats of the bar...no other tools required....other than jack and axle stands....about 30 mins per side unless the nuts are a bit tight and need a soaking in plusgas.

Honestly straight forward.

Neil_MV6

• Sutton Coldfield-West Midlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 March 2011, 11:37:39 »

Honestly straight forward.
...unless you happen to have purchased some cheapo stabilisers off eBay, and they don't have flattened off bits at the back of the bolt so you can get the second spanner on to stop it spinning round when you try to undo it. Gggrrrr!  >:(

I've done em before and they should be easy, but I ended up having to saw it off because I couldn't grip the backs.

mrgreen

• Salzburg/austria
    • 2000 2.2 petrol estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 March 2011, 11:37:54 »

thanks amba i've been putting off doing mine as i want to do the whole suspension in one go (shocks, powerflex bushes, springs) but the weather is not permitting a whole day rolling around on the driveway so i'll just start with the knackered droplinks if i won't wreck them next time i need to remove them.
Warning: Dates in Calendar are closer than they appear.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 22 queries.