Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Powerflex Bush or New Wishbones ?  (Read 1899 times)

Proz

• Omega Baron
  • Largoward , Fife , Scotland
    • Omega-less now :-/
    • View Profile
Powerflex Bush or New Wishbones ?
« on: 27 February 2011, 12:32:44 »

Hi again
Im getting the beginings of a slight knocking at the front again  :-/
Drop links were done certainly less than a year ago and its had both track rod ends and steering idler in the last year or two so im assuming the wishbones are failing . I've had the car for nearly 3 years now and they have never been done and i dont know if they ever have .... so ,
Should i get new wishbones or Powerflex the front bush ?
I saw a clip by Turk i belive it was doing them without taking wishbone off the car and using a blowtorch type thing and hacksaw to remove the old bush  .
Looks reasonably easy ish and i would have a go if i can source a blowtorch thingy .
Does the camber etc have to be re-checked if only the front bush is done and also would this cure my knocking ?
I would hate to do the bush only to find out its still there .
I would get the kit that includes the anti-roll bar as well .
Price of the kit including anti roll bushes is about £70
I could get new wishbones for that  ::)
Im asking a lot of stupid questions here and i should really go underneath and have a poke about for play etc .
Decisions Decisions  :-/
Get yourself Giff Gaff'ed here :-) ...  http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/proz

razzo

• Omega Knight
  • Crapital
    • 97 3.0 Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Powerflex Bush or New Wishbones ?
« Reply #1 on: 27 February 2011, 17:12:49 »

I would get a pry bar or big driver between wishbone & chassis to see how much movement there is first, i think you would have noticed serious handling issues  if they are knackered enough be knocking

albitz

« Reply #2 on: 27 February 2011, 17:32:05 »

I have had drop links and steering idlers knackered inside a year - fleabay cheapos though.Might be worth  inspecting them "while your down there". ;)

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 February 2011, 18:10:58 »

I have bought the Ebay cheapo's at £50 and i'll be replacing the front bushes with Powerflex bushes and thats still cheaper then the Lemforder ones ;)
Retired

Proz

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 February 2011, 18:19:36 »

I have bought the Ebay cheapo's at £50 and i'll be replacing the front bushes with Powerflex bushes and thats still cheaper then the Lemforder ones ;)

Yes thats an option as well .. :y :y
Get yourself Giff Gaff'ed here :-) ...  http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/proz

Omega_Dan

« Reply #5 on: 27 February 2011, 18:21:02 »

Thats the option im going for when pete changes them.
 :y

Proz

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 February 2011, 18:23:48 »

Thats the option im going for when pete changes them.
 :y

I was hoping not to have to change the whole wishbone as i think thats beyond my skill or toolbox  :-/

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 February 2011, 19:29:41 »

Give it a go Proz.

It seems as with most replacements to just be unbolt/remove /replace...the guide gives all the information and the only bit which would really be beyond us mortals is the correct alignment.

Much better satisfaction knowing you have done a good job and saved yourself a fair few pints .

I intend to replace mine shortly and am also no mechanic but will give most things a go...worst that happens is you do it again, correctly.

Proz

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 February 2011, 19:43:23 »

Give it a go Proz.

It seems as with most replacements to just be unbolt/remove /replace...the guide gives all the information and the only bit which would really be beyond us mortals is the correct alignment.

Much better satisfaction knowing you have done a good job and saved yourself a fair few pints .

I intend to replace mine shortly and am also no mechanic but will give most things a go...worst that happens is you do it again, correctly.

The only problem i really have is that i can only do jobs at work on the weekends as i dont have suitable area to work in at home or jacks / stands etc ... The good side of doing it at work is there's always lots of people about  :y
Im just undecided as to wether to get new wishbones and replace or to just try the front bush with Powerflex .
Im sure i read somewhere on here before that just doing the front bush doesnt affect camber etc where changing the whole wishbone obviously does  :-/

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 February 2011, 19:50:53 »

Whilst I accept just the front seems to get the most abuse,probably why powerflex offer it as a replacement,I would then question the life of the remaining 2.

Can,t answer if alignment would still need doing if just front replaced,but I think for peace of mind and the potential of needing new tyres I would get it done anyway.

Work is a great place to do repairs especially if you are on wages at the time,I am fortunate that I do have a large concrete drive area but it is not under cover so my repairs/maintenace seem to be more weather related than planned.

My advise would be to replace the entire bone and drop link then you know it is new..just my opinion though.

davethediver

• Omega Knight
  • Blackburn, Lancs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 February 2011, 20:11:49 »

I replaced the wishbones with ebay specials with a bit of help courtesy of Elite Pete. These were done and torqued correctly, after just short of 20K miles (5 months) im thinking of replacing the front bushes with poly as its getting a bit wandery :y
“It is not necessary to understand things in order to argue about them.”
P.A. Caron de Beaumarchais

Neil_MV6

• Sutton Coldfield-West Midlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 February 2011, 07:50:38 »

I have had drop links and steering idlers knackered inside a year - fleabay cheapos though.Might be worth  inspecting them "while your down there". ;)
Agreed, I've just had to replace drop links after less than a years use. If it's the drivers side, you can especially feel the knock through the pedals and even a slight rutt in the road will make it knock. It's very annoying. They're cheap to replace so i'd try those first before wishbones.  :y

When it comes to doing wishbones, it can be a real pig of a job (if you're not experienced). I've done them myself and they didn't last very long, probably due to incorrect torquing procedure. Some of the guys did mine at Newent last year and there is a definite knack to doing them (it's easy when you know how of course). I would recommend getting someone experienced to help you first time round. Get a 4-wheel align done after too, it's really worth it.
« Last Edit: 28 February 2011, 07:59:04 by Neil_MV6 »

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28 February 2011, 08:09:46 »

A few comments.

The rear wishbone bush seems to last very well, certainly for 80K+ of average miles.

The droplinks, beware of the mega cheap ones, they dont last and hence why why say go for the Febi/Bilstein or FAI ones as they are known to be ok.

So, for the original posters query, if the rear bushes look ok (they probably are ok) then simply chuck some polys in the front.

feeutfo

« Reply #13 on: 28 February 2011, 08:54:43 »

Depends what you find when inspected. There are more causes of a knock than just drop links, anything with play in the steering and suspension can knock, top shock mounts, steering knuckle, wheel baring, track rod ends etc etc. Although drop links are a favourite.

See the guides, arm yourself with info, get under there with both wheels off the floor and jiggle/wiggle everything for play.

Inspect the rearward bush as Mark says, if theres no visible splits you could  just do the fronts with poly if you wish, although the fronts need checking too. Go from there.

Diagnose, replace, set up, then fit new tyres if needed. 

Hth

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05 March 2011, 12:10:07 »

I'm no expert mate but very careful if you put powerfelx Polly bush's on your car cause if you have a fairly old omega or any car for that matter I have heard and seen that because they are a lot stiffer they can cause your chassis problems (like cracks etc) I have seen a few of my mates cars in the past that this has happened to and then they have had to get it all sorted and have switched back to the o.e.

This was posted on a similar thread last year. Has anyone else had chassis problems with poly bushes?
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 18 queries.