Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Self Levelling shock replacement  (Read 613 times)

ianu

• Intermediate Member
  • Oxfordshire
    • XC90/Maserati QPV/CooperS
    • View Profile
Self Levelling shock replacement
« on: 03 May 2011, 20:22:19 »

.. Hi just a quick one hopefully - just got a new set of s/l shocks for the car as they were snagged at the last service for leaking (I knew it anyway as I have the wheels off quite regularly).
Question: the new ones have come with a plastic binding looped round end to end I assume to keep them compressed. Is it safe to take this off before I'm ready to fit them - or is it best to cut it as I'm lining them up to fit in case they expand beyond what I can compress back (i.e is there any stored expanding energy in them that needs to be kept contained until the moment of fitting ?).
Sorry for daft question - never fitted shocks before - the guide on here looks like it should be pretty simple ( ::) famous last words )  :y

Cheers
Ian.

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
Re: Self Levelling shock replacement
« Reply #1 on: 03 May 2011, 20:25:35 »

Cut the binding and fit as per norm
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 May 2011, 20:28:01 »

Remove the binding - carefully - then add a little air to expand them - slightly - before fitting ...  :)

Haynes Chap 10 Section 11

13 On models with rear suspension level control, charge the shock absorber slightly with compressed air. An exact initial pressure is not specified by the manufacturer but carefully inflate the shock absorber until it protrudes through the upper mountings. Refit the pressure line to the shock absorber valve and secure it in position with the retaining clip. Ensure that the pressure line is positioned so that it does not foul any suspension components.
« Last Edit: 03 May 2011, 20:28:21 by entwood »

Stallion

• Omega Knight
  • Romford
  • "If you can't CONVINCE them, CONFUSE them"!!
    • 3.2 Irmscher Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 May 2011, 20:29:10 »

And if they do expand then as on the guide, just use a second jack to push it back in an align it.. :y

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 May 2011, 20:55:11 »

I changed mine a couple of months ago.

I think the dampers might be gas filled because they do extend by themselves but not with any great force.

Ignore the rubbish in the 'book of lies'. Leave the air lines disconnected and they will extend themselves without assistance.
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

feeutfo

« Reply #5 on: 03 May 2011, 23:01:14 »

I changed mine a couple of months ago.

I think the dampers might be gas filled because they do extend by themselves but not with any great force.

Ignore the rubbish in the 'book of lies'. Leave the air lines disconnected and they will extend themselves without assistance.
Exactly the reason for the band. :y

I always wanted to try this bet never got the chance, ie fit the new shock to the lower shock mount, place the correct top shock mount rubber on the shock top. THEN cut the band, and the shock should gradually expand into the top mount. Shouldn't even need a jack if my "calculations" are correct...?

May need a bit of clearance to swing a ratchet under the car and get to the air pipes but that's it.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 May 2011, 07:36:46 »

I also think some of the reason they are secured with a  nylon band is just for packaging and to make them as small as possible for stock control.

WheN I replaced mine I cut the bands and extended and compressed both springs by hand several times just to create initial movement for the damper.

Then located the top mount within the boot space and partially secured with the rubber mounts and washer.Pulled base of shock to align with bottom fixing hole and then jacked up arm to allow bottom bolt to be fitted.All mounts then tightened and air line reconnected.(although in my case this had other issues which were posted before).

Lowered car to ground and with all weight reloaded on shocks torqued everything up to correct settings.

Since then shocks have performed as expected although I also replaced both rear springs at the same time.

ianu

• Intermediate Member
  • Oxfordshire
    • XC90/Maserati QPV/CooperS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 May 2011, 21:05:22 »

Excellent - thanks for all the advice everyone. Just wanted to check what I was dealing with before releasing the band and subsequently regretting it... :y :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 17 queries.