Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Handbrake problems  (Read 2078 times)

Skint

• Bristol
    • View Profile
Handbrake problems
« on: 30 May 2010, 18:11:26 »

Hm my Miggy managed to pass its MOT ... just but been told that the handbrake is right on the limit with one side noticeably worse than the other. I have replaced the shoes and ensured the mechanism is free, however what I noticed is that the clip (bright part in that image above) is missing on both sides. How much will this affect the performance? I am wondering should I replace the handbrake cable as the plastic guide on both sides is badly worn and rucking up, will it make much difference.
The MOT garage tried putting new discs and different new shoes on but there wasn't a marked improvement.
Any other suggestions?
« Last Edit: 30 May 2010, 20:55:24 by Mark »

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Handbrake problems
« Reply #1 on: 30 May 2010, 20:10:28 »

Hm my Miggy managed to pass its MOT ... just but been told that the handbrake is right on the limit with one side noticeably worse than the other. I have replaced the shoes and ensured the mechanism [img] http://images.omegaowners.com/images/guides/servicing_rear_brakes/IMG_0530.jpg [/img is free, however what I noticed is that the clip (bright part in that image above) is missing on both sides. How much will this affect the performance? I am wondering should I replace the handbrake cable as the plastic guide on both sides is badly worn and rucking up, will it make much difference.
The MOT garage tried putting new discs and different new shoes on but there wasn't a marked improvement.Any other suggestions?

I believe the missing clips are spring retainers to stop the springs coming off although the springs are under load when fitted so you should be OK. Did you or the garage free up the adjuster star wheel so that it can be adjusted easily? When you re-fitted the hub did you have the hand-brake lever right down and adjust the shoes so that the hub was just binding (then back off slightly) and then re-adjust the hand-brake cable? You will have to lay underneath the car and get someone else to operate the hand-brake to see if cable is pulling through the guides. Make sure car is chocked and in gear first though so you don't get run over. :'(. New Disc's would have no bearing on the hand-brake but the inner hub may be very badly scored so that the new shoes cannot sit properly. :-/
The hand-brake shoes are allegedly self-adjusting but are better done manually. :y EDIT: Sorry, I stand corrected, not sure what I was thinking of then. :-[

More to the point, will you admit to blowing the old dust out of the hub and back-plate and getting a face full of dust? :y
« Last Edit: 30 May 2010, 22:42:05 by Alan-Hearn »
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 May 2010, 20:56:09 »

Follow the maintenance guide to the letter......

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 May 2010, 20:57:39 »

Hm my Miggy managed to pass its MOT ... just but been told that the handbrake is right on the limit with one side noticeably worse than the other. I have replaced the shoes and ensured the mechanism [img] http://images.omegaowners.com/images/guides/servicing_rear_brakes/IMG_0530.jpg [/img is free, however what I noticed is that the clip (bright part in that image above) is missing on both sides. How much will this affect the performance? I am wondering should I replace the handbrake cable as the plastic guide on both sides is badly worn and rucking up, will it make much difference.
The MOT garage tried putting new discs and different new shoes on but there wasn't a marked improvement.Any other suggestions?

I believe the missing clips are spring retainers to stop the springs coming off although the springs are under load when fitted so you should be OK. Did you or the garage free up the adjuster star wheel so that it can be adjusted easily? When you re-fitted the hub did you have the hand-brake lever right down and adjust the shoes so that the hub was just binding and then re-adjust the hand-brake cable? You will have to lay underneath the car and get someone else to operate the hand-brake to see if cable is pulling through the guides. Make sure car is chocked and in gear first though so you don't get run over. :'(. New Disc's would have no bearing on the hand-brake but the inner hub may be very badly scored so that the new shoes cannot sit properly. :-/
The hand-brake shoes are allegedly self-adjusting but are better done manually. :y

More to the point, will you admit to blowing the old dust out of the hub and back-plate and getting a face full of dust? :y

no there not.....in theory they dont wear but, they need servicing and setting up correctly.

Skint

• Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 May 2010, 23:01:31 »

I believe the missing clips are spring retainers to stop the springs coming off although the springs are under load when fitted so you should be OK. Did you or the garage free up the adjuster star wheel so that it can be adjusted easily? When you re-fitted the hub did you have the hand-brake lever right down and adjust the shoes so that the hub was just binding (then back off slightly) and then re-adjust the hand-brake cable? You will have to lay underneath the car and get someone else to operate the hand-brake to see if cable is pulling through the guides. Make sure car is chocked and in gear first though so you don't get run over. :'(. New Disc's would have no bearing on the hand-brake but the inner hub may be very badly scored so that the new shoes cannot sit properly. :-/
The hand-brake shoes are allegedly self-adjusting but are better done manually. :y EDIT: Sorry, I stand corrected, not sure what I was thinking of then. :-[

[/highlight]

;D never suffered that problem, I find a small drop onto a hard surface shifts the dust :D

When I replaced the shoes, I removed the lever mechanism, cleaned it up and put a bit of copper grease on it, I also ensure that the adjuster was clean and greased (the picture I showed was from this forum not my car). Yeah I adjusted the adjuster till they were binding then backed them off very slightly and then tightened up the handbrake cable. I didn't have help so had to keep crawling out from under the car :-/. The garage were also unable to find a solution hence. One of the mechanics suggested that maybe the lever mechanisms are so worn that they are not operating properly, are they a part that is available through vx?

Skint

• Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 June 2010, 20:48:46 »

I followed the guide when I carried out the original servicing and fitments of the new shoes. Its one of the reasons why I am at such a loss, the only thing I can think to do now is to replace the handbrake cable on the off chance.

Skint

• Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 May 2011, 16:16:58 »

Right its that MOT time of year again, the handbrake has degraded since last year and I am at a loss as to how to fix it. I can get it to sort of work but I have to use 2 hands to pull it up and it wont stay on a steepish slope.

I have followed the good advice in the guide hosted on this forum, I am certain I now need new discs however I am trying to locate other possible causes of poor handbrake effectiveness.

I notice when getting someone to pull the handbrake the balance adjustement bar in the car starts as wonky ie not parallell with rear 'axel' and then pulls into straight, however the cable seems to move freely through the guides at the rear ( by pulling either side of the guide using my hands).

The mechanisums and the in hub adjuster are all adequately greased and free to move.

how likely is it that the cable needs replacing even if it appears to move freely?

Any sugesstions greatfully recieved, I am reluctant to scrap it as I cant afford to buy a new car  :-[

Dishevelled Den

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 May 2011, 17:00:35 »

Follow the maintenance guide to the letter......

I would certainly agree with that - it makes the job simple and straightforward, as I discovered a couple of weeks ago. 8-) :y

Skint

• Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 May 2011, 18:33:53 »

I have done so more than twice now, very carefully!  :-[

Well its booked in for it MOT on Friday, if it fails on too much it will get scrapped! Even the garage remembered it as it was such a puzzle!

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 May 2011, 08:08:31 »

SO, a few questions

1) You backed the handbrake cable off so there was lots of slack before starting?

2) You setup and adjusted all the rear setup before setting the handbrake?

3) You stripped the actuator assembly in the picture before greasing?

For info, the spring clips are what hold the pivot in place in that assembly.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 May 2011, 08:10:59 »

SO, a few questions

1) You backed the handbrake cable off so there was lots of slack before starting?

2) You setup and adjusted all the rear setup before setting the handbrake?

3) You stripped the actuator assembly in the picture before greasing?
For info, the spring clips are what hold the pivot in place in that assembly.
IMHO, and experience, thats key, esp if thee is an imbalance.
Grumpy old man

JasonH

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15 May 2011, 08:24:40 »

My handbrake was rubbish so I replaced the pads, shoes and discs. Degreased everything did everything properly and OK but not great.

Got worse over a year or so. In the end put a decent set of handbrake shoes on (Bosch at £18 a set from my local motor factors). Much, much better.

Skint

• Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15 May 2011, 12:34:51 »

Hi
Last time I stripped down the actuators and cleaned them back to bare metal. Pull was still a bit unbalanced once I had finished.

Test centre only issued an advisory for the brakes, although it failed on other stuff but not so bad its getting scrapped.

I shall replace the rear discs and go for non budget pads and see if that helps.
Cheers all.

neilr

• Intermediate Member
  • Barnet, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 16 May 2011, 14:39:02 »

pads wont affect handbrake operation as it has independent shoes inside the disc

Skint

• Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 16 May 2011, 15:15:36 »

DOH!  :-[ I did mean shoes  ::) just was in too much of a hurry.

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 18 queries.